Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build - 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

montypower

Adventure Time!
Just turned over 100k miles on the way back from Bend this weekend... I've driven Monty 10k miles since purchasing it in April. Rather impressive considering it was parked for 30 days while modifying it and it's only used for expedition/adventures. Looking forward to many more adventures to come!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My image upload is blocked. Otherwise, I would add pics.
Maybe you need to reduce the file size first?

Or, it's easy to link a photo that you've posted elsewhere. Just type in
and it will work fine. Like so:

attachment.php

montypower

Adventure Time!
Maybe you need to reduce the file size first?

Or, it's easy to link a photo that you've posted elsewhere. Just type in
and it will work fine. Like so:

attachment.php

Yes, I know how to post images. However, it's more time consuming uploading them to my server then posting the links so I haven't spent the time to do it. Previously, I could upload them to the forum which was quick. I may update it when I have more time in the fall...

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Can you explain quickly why you chose the Lovell's over the OME springs? Was there any price difference? I see they are very popular on the Aussie forums.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Can you explain quickly why you chose the Lovell's over the OME springs? Was there any price difference? I see they are very popular on the Aussie forums.

I've seen and read several reporting they gave slightly more lift than the OME springs. That was true initially but now it sits lower than the OME springs. I'm a bit heavy, especially in the front. However, they do ride incredibly well with the Nitro Sport shocks. I'm considering custom coils, spacer or OME Pajero diesel springs to give back the height. The next project will be fitting 35s. I want another 2" of clearance underneath.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm wanting to build this up to survive the Vermont Overland Trophy next year. Did you get the Lovell Standard duty? or Heavy Duty? I think in Australia they also have EHD springs for he diesel guys running bull bars.

I had heard they give almost 2 inches of lift.

I hear you on wanting a little more height underneath...I was under mine for the first time yesterday while it was up on a lift. I saw the rear aux heater/AC and thought that could be deleted and cap off the coolant lines to prevent them getting snagged, it would also allow better departure angle if the bumper can be trimmed.

montypower

Adventure Time!
They are the HD lift springs. I think the Group 31m battery and skids put it over the weight specs... when combined with the ARB bumper and winch. I'm sitting probably .5-1" over stock height. I would like to get another 1-1.5" up front. Skids are a requirement if you run trails. Mine have been well used.

I'll be removing the rear heater when I replace the back bumper. May keep the coolant lines and install a heat exchanger for hot water. Need to get the Aux fuel tank ordered soon too.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Why an Aux tank? I thought mine came with a 23 gallon tank...that seems like enough plus you can always carry jerry cans. Yes...the skid do add a lot of weight but at least it's down low. I'm going to work with someone local to see about making some skids for me. Maybe out of aluminum if possible.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Stock tank is fine depending on where you go... Funny how in Australia everyone runs aux tanks where in American people use Jerry cans. Aux tank puts the weight down low, much larger capacity, safer, easier to fill. I would never put gas on the roof. And dislike bumper swing outs or anything that makes interior accessibility more difficult. There are 3 tank size options I've seen: 15 gallon, 20 gallon and 30 gallon.

Lots of info for these trucks here:
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey Peter, I hate to do this to you Buddy, but I just found a blast from the past and I have to post it. Fording fail. What ever happened to your Gen II?

8667f6ed847a20c83af263e22c085453.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

montypower

Adventure Time!
I sold it 10yrs ago. Saw it driving around Happy Valley... that truck will last forever. It had 230k when I sold it.

jhill15

Explorer
I didnt want to thread jack stevemc build thread so I figured i'd hope over to yours to ask. How much were the lovell hd springs compaired to the ome? Also I was reading on your gitout.com forum where you didnt want to use wheel spacers from ebay because our hubs are hub centric. Are the spacers on ebay not safe to use if they arent hub centric? How can i tell if they are hub centric? What are the measurements for center bore? Is it 108mm?

Thanks

Stevemc181

Observer
Great looking build up and a very nice list of mods you have done! I'd love to get onto some of the trails you guys have over there.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I didnt want to thread jack stevemc build thread so I figured i'd hope over to yours to ask. How much were the lovell hd springs compaired to the ome? Also I was reading on your gitout.com forum where you didnt want to use wheel spacers from ebay because our hubs are hub centric. Are the spacers on ebay not safe to use if they arent hub centric? How can i tell if they are hub centric? What are the measurements for center bore? Is it 108mm?

Thanks

They were purchased from: Kollar Racing Product
Total cost was $530 (front/rear springs) this includes shipping ($400 before shipping).

Yes, the montero uses hub centric style wheels and hub assembly. You need to keep the weight and load on the hub not on the wheel studs as that is how it was engineered. Correct, it is not safe to change a hub centric style mounting to lug centric. The wheel studs were only engineered to hold the wheel to the hub assembly. They were not engineered to take all the vertical load of the vehicle.

I believe our hubs are 80mm (or so). Talk to these guys: http://www.motorsport-tech.com/ - They will make custom spacers to any spec you desire. Custom Thickness, change from 80mm to 108mm for adapting Toyota wheels, different spec spacers front/rear. I had them make 1.25" front and 1.75" rear spacers for my Montero. Crazy fast build / shipping, perfect fitment. Very happy.

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks man, I really appreciate the info and im glad I talked to you first. I would have just ordered any of the spacers from ebay before now. I will give those guys a call and see what they can muster up for me.

The springs I may end up going with the ome. I havent decided yet if im gonna lift it or not, I want to but its gonna be a wait until I got the money

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles