If you had to have one bike?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You might ride a Mukluk before committing, make sure you can do the wider bottom bracket especially if you want to use clip-less pedals. Many people run flat pedals on fat bikes because of the Q-factor. I personally am not built wide enough to comfortably run my SPDs on a fat bike, which would make it a deal killer as my only bike.

From the we're all different category, I hate drops on long rides and my wrists prefer a mid sweep riser with bar ends that point out a few degrees (opposite of the lowers on drop bars, which point in). My regular position is good enough for my solo 12 hour races, so it works and I just need to once in a while rotate my hands to change the pressure points.

It's all about whatever works supporting your body. I've tried Ergon grips but good old bar ends make mine happiest. God used left over body parts on me and I'm not comfortable riding what the cool kids ride I guess.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The only thing not mentioned with regard to the Mukluk with 29er wheels is the rather expensive proposition it represents. A second set of wheels once shod with tires, will likely push $500-$700.

Dave also has a great point with regard to the Q-factor of a fatbike. I have become so smitten with my new Bucksaw I can't stay off the damn thing. I ride it sometimes twice a day because I can't walk by it without wanting to go ride it. My knees are the only thing keeping me off it some days. I've tried a variety of solutions, but the wide stance kills my knees after a couple weeks. I've since tried shimming my cleats and that's been of modest help.

DaveInDenver

What one is doing with their bike makes a difference, Christophe. Lots of people are totally comfortable on them and put down serious miles, so they can work. Problem is this is something that might not be evident for a while. And really to stay on topic Ron might not envision gravel grinders and back-to-back centuries with his bike, so it could be perfectly suited on account of the huge grin factor.

Navman

Adventurer
I'm still struggling with this concept of only having one bike. Very difficult to imagine, or accept. :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What one is doing with their bike makes a difference, Christophe.
I fully agree. Like you I'm just tossing some variables and considerations into the discussion.

I also find I'm finally reducing my excessive inventory of bikes, which was once a ridiculous stable of nine bikes, all of which were newer than three years of age, to a reasonable fleet of just four. It's a start anyway.

Ron Bones

Observer
I love these fats with drops!! They look awesome and would suit me to the ground, but as above I'm yet to ride a fat so I cant commit. I'm not a big guy, not wide anyway so whether or not I'd get on with this wide BB is something I need to know. This thread has opened my eyes to so much, you've all been massive helps!

The one bike thing as Navman and Co-opski have stated, is a difficult idea to grasp. I've mentioned before, if it was up to me I'd have a stable full of bikes, but come August/September we will be living in our van full time and I just cant afford the space. I'm just trying to make the best of the situation. My riding is a mixture of daily commute and shopping trips, morning 15 milers, evening 15 milers and weekend 30-50 milers but with a view to start doing some bigger rides as my fitness improves and I have the bike and luggage for it. I just love riding and above all my bike needs to be fun to get me out on it! Thats where the fat bike appeal is but that isn't to say that I'm not still really tempted by a fargo or similar. the other option that came to mind today was to build a fun/expedition bike and get a folder for the commute and such. A brompton that I could stash away easily? Just another option that I thought might less limit my decision.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I love these fats with drops!! They look awesome and would suit me to the ground, but as above I'm yet to ride a fat so I cant commit. I'm not a big guy, not wide anyway so whether or not I'd get on with this wide BB is something I need to know. This thread has opened my eyes to so much, you've all been massive helps!

The one bike thing as Navman and Co-opski have stated, is a difficult idea to grasp. I've mentioned before, if it was up to me I'd have a stable full of bikes, but come August/September we will be living in our van full time and I just cant afford the space. I'm just trying to make the best of the situation. My riding is a mixture of daily commute and shopping trips, morning 15 milers, evening 15 milers and weekend 30-50 milers but with a view to start doing some bigger rides as my fitness improves and I have the bike and luggage for it. I just love riding and above all my bike needs to be fun to get me out on it! Thats where the fat bike appeal is but that isn't to say that I'm not still really tempted by a fargo or similar. the other option that came to mind today was to build a fun/expedition bike and get a folder for the commute and such. A brompton that I could stash away easily? Just another option that I thought might less limit my decision.

Yes, I totally understand the constraint of space and living out of a vehicle. The one thing about fat bikes is they do draw more attention so if you find that you will be in a place that a stealthy bike is needed for security reasons a plain Surly ECR, Krumpus, or Ogre may be the ticket or a Salsa that was modified to not look so pretty.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Yes, I totally understand the constraint of space and living out of a vehicle. The one thing about fat bikes is they do draw more attention so if you find that you will be in a place that a stealthy bike is needed for security reasons a plain Surly ECR, Krumpus, or Ogre may be the ticket or a Salsa that was modified to not look so pretty.

This is the truth...

I was up in St. George UT this weekend...took the fatty along to get out on some trails and then on Sat I was out on the run course at the IM 70.3...

Those fat tires attract all sorts of attention...

I had cops, old people, little kids, even runners in the race all come up to me wondering what the heck it was...by the drive home I was actually getting a little tired of explaining what, why, and all the other stuff...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The one thing about fat bikes is they do draw more attention .
A few of us here were part of an interesting fatbike experiment along those lines. There were seven of us on Salsa Bucksaws riding around Sedona and Black Canyon City during their launch. While some riders we passed nearly jumped in front of us to see what we were riding, a surprising many didn't notice seven dudes riding wheel to wheel on identical fatbikes. Very strange. :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
A few of us here were part of an interesting fatbike experiment along those lines. There were seven of us on Salsa Bucksaws riding around Sedona and Black Canyon City during their launch. While some riders we passed nearly jumped in front of us to see what we were riding, a surprising many didn't notice seven dudes riding wheel to wheel on identical fatbikes. Very strange. :)

I would have been jumping out to see the Bucksaw, also. :drool: I don't know how Ron Bones will store or transport his bike while living out of his vehicle. There are areas around here that I would feel uncomfortable leaving my bike or any other valuable piece of equipment on the outside of my truck if I was at a trailhead. But that is a different topic all together.

Ron Bones

Observer
The bikes are going inside co-opski ;) I'd sooner sleep outside than have my bikes out there! That's the thing, my under bed garage isn't huge, so it's going to be a squeeze. After a 30 miler today on my honky tonk (with my brand new brooks cambium) I'm leaning back toward the Fargo again! I love being in the drops and I love going fast. In fact I wish I could just run disks on my honky, a set of woodchippers and some fat tyres but 28c is all that will squeeze in there and there's no fixings for disks. The Fargo or other 29er in the same vein is looking like the sensible choice again.

DaveInDenver

I honestly think the Fargo would fit with what you've described for use. Fat bikes seem fun but I just don't think they'll scratch the go-fast itch on long road rides especially, too much of a niche bike.

I don't see a Brompton fitting your plans. You're already dedicating interior storage for a bike and the only place where a folder might additionally excel is getting on public transit.

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
If I could only have one...my wife would be a lot happier. I would go back to my cycling roots; I started cycling as an adult 20 years ago on a mountain bike. I traveled through northwestern Russia on a mountain bike in 1997. I have had two road bikes, one fat bike and SIX mountain bikes (plus 3 at work). Don't get me wrong, I like all of my bikes, and my favorite is the one I am riding at the time. If I could only have one, my Volcanic Vx7 '29er is the only custom built bike I have ever bought, the most I have ever paid for a bicycle, and worth every penny of it. I have never had a more comfortable, more practical, more versatile bike, even going back to my childhood riding. The winner is...my Volcanic Vx7!

121122_0001.jpg

Ride safe,
Hans

efuentes

Explorer
I would keep something like my Rawland Dsogn, a very nice mtb with 650bX2.3 and an excelent gravel bike on 700cX40mm

2013-02-10110209_zps3a511f8c.jpg

pistaenlarawland_zps1a946d4b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior