If you had to have one bike?

Ron Bones

Observer
Well I've spent most of my day looking at and drooling over the Surly ECR! Anyone have any experience? The reviews are looking good in general. The 29er 3" tyres look good, fat but perhaps not too fat. And the ready built bike has a good spec for the money. But, and its a big but... no body over here seems to have them :( And certainly not to test ride.

monkeyrider

Observer
Rawland has it's roots in my hometown. Sean is a pretty cool guy. I really liked the look of the Drakkar, but it has a lot of overlap with my Fargo.

d6.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I honestly think the Fargo would fit with what you've described for use. Fat bikes seem fun but I just don't think they'll scratch the go-fast itch on long road rides especially, too much of a niche bike.

I don't see a Brompton fitting your plans. You're already dedicating interior storage for a bike and the only place where a folder might additionally excel is getting on public transit.
Dave is correct. A fat bike is if anything fun. It is not fast by any stretch.

The Fargo is a wonderful ride, but it definitely leans towards the road. Think of it as a fantastically durable cyclocross bike on steroids.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
The words your looking for- monster cross. My first gen Fargo is a good monster cross bike and I like it for a lot of things.

This thread is great for making me appreciate and thankful for having many bike. You can never too many.

Dave is correct. A fat bike is if anything fun. It is not fast by any stretch.

The Fargo is a wonderful ride, but it definitely leans towards the road. Think of it as a fantastically durable cyclocross bike on steroids.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have seen the Fargo set up in half fat or fat front mode and actually part of my inspiration for my GF 1/2 fat winter project. Half fat is no substitute for a fat bike but it does add to the fun factor of a fat bike in mobbing through crud. Part of me still wants to save the Salsa Enabler fork for a Fargo or Surly Ogre project, thinking fat front in the winter and two rear wheels for the summer. I've considered selling the Vicious Cycles 80mm wheel Surly hub and Salsa fork now that I have my new bike.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
^^^^^No dynamo hubs I'll pass.
But you could pay that bike off bootlegging liquor into the villages.:friday: :pROFSheriffHL:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The words your looking for- monster cross. ........... You can never too many.

I would say a Fargo is a refined variant on the monster cross theme. Pretty accurate observation. As for too many bikes, I've gone through stages in my cycling life when I've had huge collections of bikes, and not just an assortment of patched-together oddities. The high point was probably 2006 when I might have had a dozen bikes from time trial machines to long travel full sudsers. None of which was older than two years, and all were very, very high end. It was stupid.

I have since trimmed the fleet to just four bikes and may cull one from the group. Between my Fargo, 29er and Bucksaw I'm a happy camper.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
I could and would do anything on this bike:
IMG_5963.jpg

I might not try Supreme DH or Blaster on it, but still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior