Redneck shower

Joanne

Adventurer
It's an old idea, but it works like a champ. And you can buy a lot of camping gear with the mony you save from one of the high dollar solutions. I mix boiling water and unheated water until I get just the right temperature. Spray paint it flat black and it becomes a solar shower.

2vx0ehe.jpg

And yes, it's a brand new tank purchased expressly for this use only.

Joanne

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have seen the sprayers in both plastic and metal. Is there an advantage of solar heating the water between plastic and metal models?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I haven't seem any real-world tests, but metal has better thermal conductivity than plastic. I'd go with metal.
Besides, with the metal ones you can put it on the stove and heat the water directly, taking care not to scald yourself, of course...

bicyclist

Observer
Set it next to your Luggable Loo and you can call it a Redneck Bidet.:)

I made my version the other day. I'd been thinking of painting it black, but when I took a test shower at home (always test stuff at home), I found that it was useful to be able to see how much water was left in the tank while I was showering. Mine is a Smith Contractor Sprayer with a 2 gallon plastic tank. I think it was $25 on Amazon. The kitchen sprayer and other bits I had on hand, so it was a cheap DIY.

bat

Explorer
I have a Hudson Comand in black and it does not get hot like a black solar bag. I decided to get the 20l swiss bladder for heating the water and pouring into the Comand for a shower.

Joanne

Adventurer
Set it next to your Luggable Loo and you can call it a Redneck Bidet.:)

I made my version the other day. I'd been thinking of painting it black, but when I took a test shower at home (always test stuff at home), I found that it was useful to be able to see how much water was left in the tank while I was showering. Mine is a Smith Contractor Sprayer with a 2 gallon plastic tank. I think it was $25 on Amazon. The kitchen sprayer and other bits I had on hand, so it was a cheap DIY.

You could put a strip of tape vertically on the tank, then paint the whole thing. Pull off the tape and you would have an unpainted stripe to see the water level.

Joanne

bicyclist

Observer
You could put a strip of tape vertically on the tank, then paint the whole thing. Pull off the tape and you would have an unpainted stripe to see the water level.

Joanne

Yup, I had the same thought. I'll experiment a bit to see how large a stripe I need to be able to see the water.

robgendreau

Explorer
I used a $10 small one from Harbor Freight, and spray painted it black. Works great; a little slow to heat. A metal one you could put on a stove would be nice, but I just heat water in a pan and dump it in. Useful for cleaning pets, windshields, water fights, and all sorts of stuff. The garden ones like the HF came with longish sprayers, which I just cut down. Not very powerful, but just get a larger one if you need it. A pressurized LCI or scepter can also works great. I use CO2 or a bike pump to shoot water outta mine, and it can hold enough pressure to pump out pretty good. Problem is you may have to add pressure, which also depends on how full it is.

Willman

Great old idea! Mine has been running strong for years! Make sure it a stainless steel one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles