How do I remove the seat upholstery?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My driver's seatback BROKE! The bracket inside the upper frame that holds the pivot pin sheared off, and I need to have it rewelded. To do that, I need to remove the upholstery, and I've never done that. There are two pins on the back of the seat. How are those removed? Just pull? I can't tell and I don't want to break them if I can help it.

broken-seatback.jpg

Seat-dissassembly.jpg

Seat-pins.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Buy an Aussie puppy?
14049050901_e973410815_b_d.jpg

from here ; )
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...a-Eurovan!/page27?highlight=playing+with+cole

czd3my

Which two pins? If you are talking about the headrest guides, number 10 in your pic, I use a 12mm deep socket and an extension and put on the end inside the seat then tap it with a hammer. They'll pop up then you can pull them out. They have two "ears" sort of that pop out and hold them in a metal tube on the seat frame, if that makes sense. The rest of the seat cover is held on with hog rings after you take off the map pocket cover piece. Mine was broken in the same place and had to re-weld it too.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Which two pins? .... Mine was broken in the same place and had to re-weld it too.

The buttons that hold on the map pocket backing. #6 in the diagram, though the pins aren't numbered. I can't stand the FSM, it doesn't tell you how to do anything!

Interesting that your's broke also. My 1994 Montero also broke in this same area. This was a decade ago, and I just had the dealer order a new seat because it "was unrepairable". Nowadays I am a bit more resourceful...barely.

czd3my

Oh...those are just screw covers. Just take a small screwdriver or such and pop them up. There are Phillips screws under the covers.

jlocster

Explorer
Oh...those are just screw covers. Just take a small screwdriver or such and pop them up. There are Phillips screws under the covers.

This...

Then the remove the seat back panel, #6 in the diagram. This will expose the rear frame and upholstery attachment points. Upholstery is attached with hog rings which must be cut (I used aviation snips). Some of the hog rings are buried in the seat foam.

plh

Explorer
Sorry I may have missed this. I think this looks like a Gen 2.5. If it is, I probably have the part, shoot me a PM if interested.

TheMole

Adventurer
This...

Then the remove the seat back panel, #6 in the diagram. This will expose the rear frame and upholstery attachment points. Upholstery is attached with hog rings which must be cut (I used aviation snips). Some of the hog rings are buried in the seat foam.

After removing the phillips screws, does the seat back just pop right off? I tried pulling a bit but didn't want to break anything. I need to remove the panel to pinpoint some squeaking sounds when pressure is applied to the seatback. Its starting to get annoying as my back applies constant on and off pressure as I'm driving.

bryAWD

Observer
After removing the phillips screws, does the seat back just pop right off? I tried pulling a bit but didn't want to break anything. I need to remove the panel to pinpoint some squeaking sounds when pressure is applied to the seatback. Its starting to get annoying as my back applies constant on and off pressure as I'm driving.

I have the same annoying squeak going on, driving me nuts!!!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have the same annoying squeak going on, driving me nuts!!!

LOL, I have this squeak too! Well, sometimes. It's either going to squeak all day or it's not, and I can't decern a pattern or trigger. It's not weather or temp related. But my squeak seems to be somewhere in the frame base of the chair, not the back.

UPDATE! I am remiss in updating this thread. I took apart the seat, and brought it to a one stall auto upholstery shop. The guy charged me $20 to disassemble it down to the frame. Then I took the frame down the street to a fab shop that makes trailers and walked into the back of the shop where a guy was welding, and offered him $20 to weld it back together where it had broken. 10 minutes later I walked back up to the upholstery guy. The next day it was ready and good as new.

Still squeaks.... sometimes.

czd3my

Concerning that seat back panel, after removing the two screws at the bottom just kinda push it up towards the head rest. There are a couple spring steel type tabs on the panel that slip over a metal piece on the seat back frame. You sometimes have to push a little in and up at the same time. As long as you don't pull towards the back you'll be fine. Does that make sense? Kinda hard to explain how to do something whithout being able to touch the part. Most seat upholstery is pretty simple if you take your time. I used to sew interiors and that's the harder part but still not bad.

TheMole

Adventurer
Concerning that seat back panel, after removing the two screws at the bottom just kinda push it up towards the head rest. There are a couple spring steel type tabs on the panel that slip over a metal piece on the seat back frame. You sometimes have to push a little in and up at the same time. As long as you don't pull towards the back you'll be fine. Does that make sense? Kinda hard to explain how to do something whithout being able to touch the part. Most seat upholstery is pretty simple if you take your time. I used to sew interiors and that's the harder part but still not bad.

Hey appreciate the explanation it does make sense. Hoping tghat some of the springs just need some lube to get rid of the squeak, but I'll try a few things once I open it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior