2006 Sprinter Van, low miles, camperized.

llaskin

2006 Mercedes Benz/Dodge Sprinter Van, Low miles. 47k. Diesel. Auto Trans. This is a very rare version, which has the shortest wheelbase (118”) with the highest roof. I’m over 6’ tall and I can stand up inside. This short version is ideal because it fits in a normal parking spot and is small enough to serve as a daily driver. The shorter version also gets better mpgs. The newer versions are much larger. This was originally the cargo version that has been camperized. It has a tri-fold bench seat in the back that folds into a bed. This was the last year they sold the Sprinters with the 2.7-liter inline 5 cylinder, which gets incredible fuel mileage. The best I’ve gotten was over 34mpg but that was driving really slowly (I almost got 1000 miles on a single tank!). In the newer Sprinters it is hard to get 18mpg. The van has been insulated with high-quality polyurethane foam on the walls, doors and roof. This makes it much more quiet on the road and ideal for road trips. I also used 50lbs of Dynamat sound dampening material throughout. The foam and Dynamat makes the van feel very solid. It also insulates for temperature better, keeping it cool inside in the summer and hot in the winter. It has sunroof, tinted windows, a/c, higher-end stereo (Bluetooth, USB port, extra 3-way speakers, etc), power locks, windows, mirrors, abs, adjustable headlights, etc. This is much more reliable than a VW Westfalia, gets much better fuel millage, it can potentially use bio-diesel, and because it looks like a commercial cargo van it is ideal for “Stealth Camping.” Just park anywhere and camp and no one knows you are inside, and they think it is an electrician’s van. You can also park it in commercial loading zones with little risk of tickets. I’ve always used synthetic oil. I will post more photos in a week or so. PM me for photos. $24k. Located in Los Angeles.

Attachments

• van-right.jpg
    van-right.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 832
  • Van-front-right.jpg
    Van-front-right.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Not just biodiesel, this truck can run on the high sulfur diesel fuel sold in Mexico and points south. Sounds like a great truck for someone planning a Central or South America trip. I'm looking forward to the photos.

llaskin

I attached some photos. More of the interior to come.

In regards to 4x4 conversion there are a couple of companies that do it in the US, however, as has been mentioned, too much $. If you know what you are doing, I think it would be relatively inexpensive, but a ton of work, to get all the front drivetrain parts shipped over from Europe. They have made these exact vans (1st gen sprinters) with 4x4 option around the world for a decade. I would just get the OEM 4x4 parts from overseas.

patentgeek

Just a note for those looking for Sprinter fuel economy data. There's no way this truck got 34mpg absent a hurricane force tailwind. I have a 2005 118 Sprinter high roof, which is essentially identical to this truck, and I average in the low 20's. The best I've done is 24-25mpg. My friends with Sprinters get about the same.

gvb40

Just a note for those looking for Sprinter fuel economy data. There's no way this truck got 34mpg absent a hurricane force tailwind. I have a 2005 118 Sprinter high roof, which is essentially identical to this truck, and I average in the low 20's. The best I've done is 24-25mpg. My friends with Sprinters get about the same.
2006 high top with SMB camper conversion. Average 22 mpg.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Dang, I thought I got another chance at buying this Sprinter. Just what I have been looking for...
There are reasons you wouldn't want a 118" (notably choppy handling and a substantially smaller living/cargo area) compared to a 140", since all of the advantages cited in the posting are available in a 140". If you would like a Sprinter van and have not yet done so, be sure to check out the Sprinter Source forum's Vehicle for Sale section. There will usually be vehicles for sale there of equal or higher merit.

And, BTW . . . 2003 tall 140" with lightweight camper conversion = 22-23 mpg average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior