My Strange Trailer

Ovis Canis

Observer
That thing looks great! What are the LxWxH on that thing. Axle of course is a must unless you can conferm it's a 3500 lb'er. With adding a little ground clearance you may consider taking the roof off and going with a flat top. That would allow you to lower the roof rack and help keep the top bellow the higth of of the jeep for less drag. And if the jeep fits the trailer fits.

speed2005

Observer
That thing looks great! What are the LxWxH on that thing. Axle of course is a must unless you can conferm it's a 3500 lb'er. With adding a little ground clearance you may consider taking the roof off and going with a flat top. That would allow you to lower the roof rack and help keep the top bellow the higth of of the jeep for less drag. And if the jeep fits the trailer fits.

Exterior box ximensions are 6'long 38" wide 40"tall .door is 21"w*32"h

How do I confirm the axle?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Ovis Canis

Observer
How do I confirm the axle?

That may be difficult on that old of a trailer. You can search the axle for any markings of load capacity or a manufacturer of the axle and call them. It is very unlikely that it's a 3500. Manufacturers don't put that heavy of an axle on such small trailers. The nice things is if you order a new axle and leaf springs they will make the axle to your desired length and hub bolt pattern. I'm not sure what's in Ohio, but close to me in Texas is soutwestwheel.com. This will give you a good idea of whats available. When you order this way you can customize the length based on the hubs you want, so there would be no problem running the same as on the jeep. If you do this I would recommend having a total of eight wheels and tires. Four on the jeep, two on the trailer and two spares. This makes it easier to incorporate all those tires into your tire rotations.

jays0n

Adventurer
Being able to carry just one spare if you plan to take this thing on highway trips is kinda a big plus, in my eyes well worth the effort and expense of doing an axle or hub swap. Just my $.02 worth though.

You can also find adapter plates to go from 6 on 5.5 to what you require. In my opinion almost as cheap and not much more difficult to do an axle swap. Plus you'll have an axle that is in known condition and you won't have to worry about how it may or may not have been treated in the past :)

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Being able to carry just one spare if you plan to take this thing on highway trips is kinda a big plus, in my eyes well worth the effort and expense of doing an axle or hub swap. Just my $.02 worth though.

You can also find adapter plates to go from 6 on 5.5 to what you require. In my opinion almost as cheap and not much more difficult to do an axle swap. Plus you'll have an axle that is in known condition and you won't have to worry about how it may or may not have been treated in the past :)

I will absolutely second this! The cost of a new axle is so low, it's well worth the expense of the swap.

navigator

Adventurer
Call me practical/cheap but I think if it were me, I would just flip the axle, upsize the tires and find a matching spare. Then use the trailer and see how it works for you and if you need a heavier axle/springs.

6X5.5 is a full size Chevy (and many Toyotas) pattern. You should be able to find some more modern rims on CL for cheap. You can then use it and see if you have a need for a heavier axle/springs. Many times you can get them with decent 32's or 33's with AT tread that will work for a trailer for a long time.

With a RTT on top, that box should have enough room for a lot of gear and your spare.

Ovis Canis

Observer
This is the only reason I suggest a 3500 lbs axle. Bumpy roads take there tole on axles. You know the point of use for your trailer better then anyone else so the current axle may be just fine for what you have in mind.

UK4x4
you have reason

on this summer
ny8.jpg

ny9.jpg

ny10.jpg

my 2000lbs axel break donw !!!

i make upgrade 3500

old and new
IMG_7642.jpg

shock braket
IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

on this week end
IMG_7728.jpg

M35A2

Tinkerer
Call me practical/cheap but I think if it were me, I would just flip the axle, upsize the tires and find a matching spare. Then use the trailer and see how it works for you and if you need a heavier axle/springs.

6X5.5 is a full size Chevy (and many Toyotas) pattern. You should be able to find some more modern rims on CL for cheap. You can then use it and see if you have a need for a heavier axle/springs. Many times you can get them with decent 32's or 33's with AT tread that will work for a trailer for a long time.

With a RTT on top, that box should have enough room for a lot of gear and your spare.

This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94