Road Shower

robgendreau

Explorer
I use a weed sprayer as well. Just spray painted it black. They work great. HF has a $99 one with 15g, although that's a lot for a shower. I just use one of the small ones. And you can use it somewhere besides next to your vehicle, kinda essential when not in the boondocks somewhere. Or maybe have a friend wear one of the backpack models....

I once saw a guy who used some PVC to make a roof rack and it also held water; he painted it flat black. He didn't have a valve to pressurize it, but you could easily add that. It also distributed the weight nicely, but had to be kinda level. And you'd still be stuck next to the vehicle. He ran a flexible tube down inside his van and used it mostly for warm water for dishes, etc.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I thought I would post up my experiences and add to this thread for the good of the ExPo Communty.

So rewind to last month and I am camping with a good friend and my 2 and 6 year old boys. Long story short, my 2 year old has a blow out in his diaper (at the time he was 90% potty trained, only needs a diaper at night). He wakes up and declares "Daddy, I gotta' go poo poo!" I sprang out of my sleeping bag and start diggin him out of his sleeping bag when he lets the poo fly! It was a total blow-out... poo up to his nipples, up his back and down to his knees... all a considerable distance from their point of origin... inside a diaper. Well, dad forgot the wipes so here we are on the tailgate of the 100, using a Nalgene of creek water and paper towels to clean my little man up. He was miserable, I wasn't exactly enjoying my wake up call either. All said and done, a better source for cleaning up, kids, feet, gear, my beautiful wife's hair... was on short order. Let the research begin.

A few weeks ago as I was looking up water tanks and shower options for the cruiser I came across the Road Shower 2. It is an extruded aluminum tank that stores water on the roof rack and then uses passive solar radiation to heat the water throughout the day. Its got a temp gauge, radiator cap for filling and to control pressure (18 psi max), an air valve to pressurize the tank and a hose/nozzle that has about 5' reach. It mounts with hardware using an integrated "T" slot on the bottom. Overall, its VERY well made and quite light for its size. It holds about 5 gallons of water, and my initial testing in the backyard yielded about 10 minutes of constant water flow with good pressure. It would obviously run out fast or last longer depending on the flow rate selected at the adjustable nozzle, but a HOT 10 minute shower isn't out of the question for this shower unit. I just tossed it up there for now but I will orient the hose to the rear so I can use it near the tailgate.

So far, in my humble testing, letting the tank sit in the backyard with direct sun on it for about 4 hours (Noon-4pm) with 85* ambient temps I was hitting right at 100* at the nozzle. Even at 9pm that night the water was still relatively warm (closer to 90*) and I started with cold tap water out of the faucet. Needless to say I am impressed and my wife is stoked about it! There's something about the idea of washing down after a day in Moab's silt, or Colorado's dusty trails that is really appealing.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.JPG

Rezarf <><

Explorer
seems like it would be extremly simple to make on your own for way less than $300. buy pvc to the size you want, cap both ends and thread seal a nozzle on one end, thread seal a air valve on it and your done.....or maybe im just used to making things on my own idk. I would hook a 12v air pump with a pressure switch in line for constant psi.

The thermal exchange rate of the Aluminum is the kicker. It heats up FAST! As a downside, it cools down fast as well. I picked mine up used, and I think the quality of the unit,, and the performance are really worth the price. I can't see a plastic PVC unit heating up as hot or as fast. I could be dead wrong but I am impressed with the performance of the unit.

S

Squatchout

If you read around the site the folks who sell this started with PVC. They went trough a few versions to get to this point.

I'll have one soon for my FWC.

The quick cool down is something I've thought about and intend to figure out some kind of insulating wrap that's easy on and off. Heat it up then wrap it so hopefully it's still warm for a morning shower.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
If you read around the site the folks who sell this started with PVC. They went trough a few versions to get to this point.

I'll have one soon for my FWC.

The quick cool down is something I've thought about and intend to figure out some kind of insulating wrap that's easy on and off. Heat it up then wrap it so hopefully it's still warm for a morning shower.

I thought about it. Using reflectix insulation. I don't think they're is enough thermal mass. Eventually I gave up and bought a zodi extreme for night showing.

I now have 5 different showers and I love them all. They all work but some are better in certain situations.

Crom

[QUOTE=Rezarf

Your story of your 2 year old, oh man I feel for you. I got 3 and 5 yo girls.

The road shower has been great at cleaning them up after dirt play. So easy and convenient!

kramme

Observer
As a few of you have the Road Shower and have experience, I just got one. I am wondering the best way to pressurize it. Do you use a bicycle hand pump or?

Crom

I use a Tera flex tire deflator screwed on to the Schrader valve, and it works well as a gravity shower.

I never got around to pressurizing it during our trips, just more complexity to deal with.

However a few times while testing in the back yard I used a small bike pump. The pressure obviously makes a big difference.

In practice though, I've never been disappointed with mother nature and gravity.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

acg

Adventurer
I found this video on Youtube. Cheap alternative for anyone looking to build their own road shower.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/dG2HK9JsAjw[/video]

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I have a RoadShower 2 which I bought about 18 months ago. I had researched options for onboard passive solar heated water tanks and I too thought it expensive and wondered did I really need it. I don't do a lot of wheeling but do a lot of camping and am now doing cross country trips to explore our National Parks and the areas around them.
I pulled the trigger and bought the second version before they were available for shipping. I soon received mine and found it well packaged and it arrived with everything promised (including additional mounting bolts). The quality of the product and parts is superb. I can't leave it mounted as my Tahoe won't fit in the garage if it is up there. It is very easy and quick to mount and is very secure. I wanted something that would not break free in an accident. I don't want a missile traveling down range in an accident.
So this is what I learned.... very well made. Somewhat expensive but you will only have to buy once. Works very well. Quality parts. A great company to deal with. I highly recommend it.
Safe travels

kramme

Observer
I second what you mentioned, i also bought one around the same time and love it - quality for sure and good customer support!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94