Road Shower

WMDunkin

Adventurer
http://www.roadshower.com/

IMG_5723.jpg

Anyone heard of this? Not bad for $300, and its pressurized.

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
I was wondering about running a line off a compressor with a regulator, it seems like the bike pump would be annoying for anything more than occasional use. It wouldn't be hard to build your own similar setup, seems like a good solution especially if you already have onboard air and don't want to deal with a water pump.

Sent using Tapatalk

robgendreau

Explorer
Check out this thread at the Sportsmobile forum: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11431&hilit=shower+pvc

And here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47011-Road-Shower-Solar-pressurized-roof-monted-shower

The former post OP mod'd one pretty extensively. If you search around on the Sportsmobile forum I think there's also a thread about building something similar. A bunch of us use scepter or LCI or metal jerry cans with valves and spigots to produce pressurized showers; it's about $45 worth of materials (with LCI can) and you get something you can move around or put in your tire carrier or whatever. Or just stick a $10 solar shower on your roof. One problem with an aluminum tank is that it sheds heat fast once out of the sun. Maybe you could stick your stove under it, though....

Rob

Wainiha

Explorer
My friend and I made a similar setup with black ABS pipe. Not pressuraized but mounted at an angle it works.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I have one. Mine is of a slightly earlier design (2013). In warm weather it heats water really well, primarly because it's aluminum. We use it as a gravity shower most of the time.

I was an early adopter and got mine for less than what Joel is selling it for now. If you can regulate the pressure with automation it would be awesome.

It is very convient to use in Southern California. Disadvantages of course are that you are reliant on the sun for heating, so cold cloudy day will not help you. I have also had water that was too hot, and had to wait for it to cool down.

Last edited:

El Solis

Adventurer
I have one. Love it. Was also an early adopter and made a few changes (installed a "T" so i have shower nozzle on one end and a spigot for water to cook etc on the other). Also it is ok to pressurize with on board compressor. Haven't gotten around to automate it with an air tank etc but works fine. For cooler water I just add some boiling water (with the jet boil and spigot on the other end this is easy to do).
y3ysyzeg.jpg
3ebe2a8y.jpg

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I like the idea of using 6" black ABS pipe. While a nice feature, I don't know that pressurized would be all that necessary when mounted on the roof. The added benefit of having heated water for other purposes (other than a shower) is a good idea. The only disadvantage is the added weight on top which in my type of outings could be detrimental in an off-camber situation. Thanks for the thread and ideas.

robgendreau

Explorer
Looks good for the price, although 16 gallon is large, IMO.

That's getting up to 150lbs, quite a lot, although you don't have to fill it. Although given its shape, it might be considerably less efficient at heating if say half full. But maybe it has some baffles inside or something to help with that (water below; air closest to hotest surface).

And you've gotta shower next to your vehicle....

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
That's getting up to 150lbs, quite a lot, although you don't have to fill it. Although given its shape, it might be considerably less efficient at heating if say half full. But maybe it has some baffles inside or something to help with that (water below; air closest to hotest surface).

And you've gotta shower next to your vehicle....
No baffles I could see by watching the video. It seems like a nice product and at a fair price. I could not obtain specs on dimensions for the tank...

CaliMobber

Adventurer
seems like it would be extremly simple to make on your own for way less than $300. buy pvc to the size you want, cap both ends and thread seal a nozzle on one end, thread seal a air valve on it and your done.....or maybe im just used to making things on my own idk. I would hook a 12v air pump with a pressure switch in line for constant psi.

hansrober

Adventurer
I got one from the kickstarter campaign. It works best for hosing your stuff and feet off at the beach. CaliMobber is right it would not be that hard to fab one up in PVC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles