Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

keezer37

Explorer
Dickies LP812 during the week and Vertx VTX8000 on the weekends
I've had a pair of Vertx for about four years now. They're the best travel pants I've had. No sore spots develop from the seams during long hours behind the wheel and no crotch creep. We just spent 37 hours traveling together over three days in relative comfort. The only fault is you have to remember to keep loose change in the cargo pockets. They have the worse hand pockets for having change slid out when you sit down.
Even with the price differential, they are a better value than Carhartt. Carhartt's don't stand up to multiple washings as well. They were kinda worn looking after two years. The Vertx are still suitable for a button down shirt and a decent restaurant.
Dickies. Not exactly comfortable but they will survive the second coming. Mine are eight years old $18 Walmart bought, multiple stains, and zero wear.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
I have been super happy with my Propper light weight tactical pants. Wear well, decent price, long lasting. Imwear daily and in outdoors. Look good enough I use them in my workshops. They also travel well since I am also Im also in China, Korea, Taipei, Japan, and the UK in them. Provide great rugged look while being casual enough to not look like a military invasion. The Coyote and Khaki colors are my favorites.

www.AdventureIQ.com
Facebook Me! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventure-IQ/210030892407247
Adventute Journal http://adventureiq.wordpress.com/
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/adventureiq/id/2291366

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I don't think Walmart .com ships to Canada and they don't have them on the cdn site. I have been looking at some suggestions here. Lots of great ones. I found a few pairs that I am ordering right away. I couple of pairs from MEC here in Canada, sportchek has a bunch and im going to grab a couple of Columbia pairs off sears.ca. Later on, I am going to grab a pair of those LA police pants. great deal.

I have noticed that some pants are s, m, l etc. I am right at 36" waist. The m is 31-36 and l is 36-39" would medium or large work better. I found the couple of pairs of columbias I bought that were large, WHICH I THOUGHT I WAS, were on the big side. I am afraid to order the LA pants in Large to find they are huge on me.

Raul B

Explorer
+1 more for 5.11 tactile pro pants. I have 6 pairs of them and 2 pairs of the " Jean cut" style for going out. I refuse to wear jeans now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

shipping is an absolute killer for me from LA police. But if I order a bunch of pants it gets better for 6 pairs its 61 bucks shipping.

Strizzo

Explorer
+1 more for 5.11 tactile pro pants. I have 6 pairs of them and 2 pairs of the " Jean cut" style for going out. I refuse to wear jeans now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

i just bought my first couple pairs of 5.11 taclite pro pants and have been thoroughly impressed. great fit for standing that isn't too tight in the crotch when sitting. i ordered when they were selling the ones that came with the free 5.11 belt and you got free shipping over $60 and a free 5.11 hat for spending over $90. i ended up with two pairs of pants, two belts and a hat for 100 bucks, not a bad deal IMO. i've since noticed that they carry 5.11 at Academy sports for the same price as LAPG.

99superduty

I've been really happy with the Prana Bronson pants. Look like Carhartts but have a little bit of stretch to them and a gusseted crotch

robgendreau

Explorer
Definitely Carhartt. I get mine at Sierra Trading Post; not always all sizes available but uber cheap. Lately I've been moving towards their twill and dungaree styles. They have some 36" length pants, all under $30. The double knee twills will probably be my next get.

And consider some flannel lined ones for winter. Yeah, in nasty weather I should be wearing something besides cotton but boy those flannel lined pants sure feel good.

For synthetics, the most awesome pants are those made with Schoeller cloth, although I guess there are similar clones out there. I have some made by North Face (pretty old) and Mammut. I use them climbing mostly. Shed snow like crazy, warm, wind proof, and breath quite well. And dry fast. It really is a miracle fabric. Stretchy too.

I've also had some other good pants from Lowe Alpine and North Face, the later a stretchy-almost crepe like fabric. Pretty simple; no zipper just elastic waist. Cool, but windproof. Seem to shed dirt; in a dark color can be worn for days before you start looking like a homeless tweaker. I wish I could name the model; they don't supply that on the pant. And the outdoor companies change model names and types so frequently you'll never find that same pant or shirt again a couple years later. They turn over faster than high fashion.

kojackJKU

I will be wearing carhartt for work from now on. more comfortable and cooler than the blue work clothes. I just picked up two pairs of jack wolfskin pants. One convertible pair and a softshell waterproof pair. Will update on these as soon as I get them.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Well, if you're at the Overland Expo you can get Mountain Khakis for 35-50% off. I just picked up a couple of pair. I love my TAD but not everyone wants to pay the entry price. Vertx makes some nice pants I like and they just released a model, dropping the hidden cargo pockets. Tru-Spec just released a line of new not tactical looking tactical pants in nylon twill or blended rip stop fabric that look to have a pot of potential. Lots of really good options out there.

AZ ADVenturist

Observer
info I can use on this forum!

I've been considering this very subject for a while, then came across this thread last WK. So on last trip to WallyWorld picked up a pair of "Dickies" carpenter jeans ($23.93) in an olive drab color. I like that color for cargo/hiking shorts, so hope they work for every day pants. Trouble is they
Only come in even size waist - I got 34, I'd like a 35. But haven't been able to try 'em on yet 'cause of the cast on my broke foot:'( Might need to admit to a 36- boo! But at less than $25. I'm stoked (cheap!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste