Flippac meets Unimog project

burquedoka

Adventurer
I posted this over on the pop-up camper thread already, so I hope it's alright to add it here too. I figured the Mog followers might enjoy as well.
I found a long bed Flippac on Crags List for dirt cheap a couple years ago and knew it had to go on the mog somehow. The length is perfect for my "short" bed (short for a Mog that is), but the width was too narrow. The decision was made to build a slip-in tray for the camper to join. Next the rear flip up glass had to go as it was far to tall to reach when open. I built a fold down door with integrated steps in it, like a small aircraft door. Currently I'm adding a brush cage to the exterior to keep the branches off, and to attach my Foxwing awning to. I have yet to start the interior, but I've got plenty of plans.
I will post some more soon, now I'm on the final push to get her ready for the drive out to Flagstaff next week for the expo, will anyone else from here be there? We will be driving the 400+ miles out from Albuquerque to Flag, all on dirt with a Gelaendewagen camper as well. Pics to follow......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 90

burquedoka

Adventurer
Up for sale is a project I built for a Unimog. The camper is made up of a late 90's Flip-pac for a full sized truck mounted on a 2x4 framed and OSB sheathed tray that has been skinned and sealed with Aluminum. The whole unit is a slip in/out camper for a Unimog flat bed, though it could be used in any flat bed measuring aprox 106"x 90".
There is a custom built brush cage included that incoperates a mount for a Foxwing awning. The interior is completely unfinished and ready to be built out as you see fit. The tent material is in good shape, it does have a few pin holes and is slightly brittle due to its age, but it is in good useable condition. There is a blue factory rain fly included. I also have the rear factory lift up window if you were to ever wish to separate the Flip Pac from the tray and mount it on a traditional truck bed.

This is an unfinished project, so it is not perfect and needs work. The interior is unfinished, the steps on the door were never finished (the ladder is purely temporary), unfortunately the torsion bar is broken and needs to be replaced ( it still opens fine, it's just heavy). The fiberglass is all in very good condition structurally, I am sure it would look new if cleaned and buffed. The hinges and adjoining structure are in very good condition with little to no corrosion.

The shell could easily be separated from the tray and used on a full sized pickup, but I am selling this as a package only, it would be up to you to separate if desired.

The camper is located in Albuquerque, shipping is on your dime.

Asking $1500

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 37

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Up for sale is a project I built for a Unimog. The camper is made up of a late 90's Flip-pac for a full sized truck mounted on a 2x4 framed and OSB sheathed tray that has been skinned and sealed with Aluminum. The whole unit is a slip in/out camper for a Unimog flat bed, though it could be used in any flat bed measuring aprox 106"x 90".
There is a custom built brush cage included that incoperates a mount for a Foxwing awning. The interior is completely unfinished and ready to be built out as you see fit. The tent material is in good shape, it does have a few pin holes and is slightly brittle due to its age, but it is in good useable condition. There is a blue factory rain fly included. I also have the rear factory lift up window if you were to ever wish to separate the Flip Pac from the tray and mount it on a traditional truck bed.

This is an unfinished project, so it is not perfect and needs work. The interior is unfinished, the steps on the door were never finished (the ladder is purely temporary), unfortunately the torsion bar is broken and needs to be replaced ( it still opens fine, it's just heavy). The fiberglass is all in very good condition structurally, I am sure it would look new if cleaned and buffed. The hinges and adjoining structure are in very good condition with little to no corrosion.

The shell could easily be separated from the tray and used on a full sized pickup, but I am selling this as a package only, it would be up to you to separate if desired.

The camper is located in Albuquerque, shipping is on your dime.

Asking $1500

Does the $1500 price quoted include the truck? What year is the MOG? If the MOG is in driveaway condition, that's a hell of a deal!

GR8ADV

Explorer
Solidly in first place in ExPo's Most Optimistic Question of 2015 competition. :sombrero:
Yes, that is right up there with my misreading of the Phoenix camper I thought was for sale for $18,500.
GLWS. This forum is a treasure chest of interesting possibilities.

burquedoka

Adventurer
LOL! No I'm afraid that does not include the LWB DoKa cab 1550 Unimog, nice try though.

I am cooking up a more traditional hard sided camper instead.

BTW, the price is negotiable, and I am considering selling the FlipPac solo if people are more interested, and I believe they are. I'd like to start at $800 with the rain fly.

akhummer

I never understood the reason for such elevated sleeping positions. It seems like there are safer alternatives. What do you do if there are thunderstorms in the area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles