Building the AlumEscape

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Nice work! What sealer are you using between the aluminum and L channel on the corners?

Thanks Xrunner, I'm actually just using some quality silicone based window caulking from the local supply house since its basically sealing aluminum to aluminum. I have not noticed leakage so far but I expect this to be an area I'll need to address maybe every other season. I'm hoping though that the multiple coats of CPES will keep the plywood integrity for many years as I hope to run this setup for a while!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks Jwood70, the builds on here provided a lot of inspiration for my project so I hope to do the same for others!

Secretagentman

This is really cool. Can you elaborate on the interior dimensions of the sleeping area? I am thinking about doing a 4x6 cargo trailer conversion and I am getting some great ideas from this.

Please and thank you

JMacs

Observer
Sorry I am late to the party, but I have been looking through lots of posts at airbag suspensions for a future trailer.

I gotta say, the quality of yours looks amazing.

I do have a question for you. I have been playing around with the idea of a wishbone type set up as well, but a little less complicated on the axle attachment. Why did you use the ply mounts versus just bolting the axle straight to the wishbone? Because you have the skills, the time, and can make it look that good? (And I am perfectly fine with that answer.) Or is there something else I should be considering?

Is there anything you would have done a little different now that you have some miles on it?

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Love the build and love the 1link suspension. I had an 85 4 runner that was a truggy that i built a 1link rear for, dual t/case rolling on 37" locked and i beat the crap out of it (most dont like a 1link) and never had any issues, 75 on the highway no sway bar was a pleasure to drive. Keep up the good work!

fortel

Adventurer
Nice job. Really like the shape of the profile and the simplified rear hatches by using the RV-type doors.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Sorry for taking so long Secretagentman, I'm terrible at keeping these threads up to date! The sleeping area was built snug as I wanted a rear storage compartment at floor level and wanted the interior “electrical” cabinet by the door – basically the sleep area is around 32” x 76”. That leaves a bit of space ~16” next to the mattress along the door side for boots, gearbags, etc and a place to stoop when changing. The interior height is around 44” so just enough to stoop and balance yourself by pressing your back against the roof when dressing. I think a 4'x6' trailer is doable, but you'll just need to be a bit creative with space usage – a buddy of mine has one and seems to be pleased, unfortunately I don't have any photos of his setup.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks Jmacs, the poly mounts were two-fold:

- I originally planned on running a 4-link type setup so I purchased 8 of those suckers before I thought the plan through. Once I started mocking things up I wasn't at all pleased with the amount of ground clearance I was going to lose and was having issues with locating upper links.

- Since I already had them I settled on using them on the wishbone just to take any harshness out of the link setup due to the joint I'm running at the frame connection and the panhard bar. I already had these (http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=2629) from a previous project so I stuck that on my wishbone/frame connection. The panhard bar parts were a universal adjustable setup sourced from ebay and cut and welded to size.

Welding the wishbone directly to the axle would work just fine, just be sure to account for any axle camber and leave clearances/etc for any links and gussets for your setup.

The airbags ride great and soak up just about anything! I run them around 45psi and feel shocks are an absolute necessity to control bounce and sway. Be sure to keep in mind that the bag plumbing must be separate, they cannot share a fill port or any hoses, etc. or when you turn all the air will move to the inside and the trailer will want to “fall over”.

I think if I were to do it again I'd strongly consider hard mounting the wishbone straight to the axle. Other than that, I am still fine tuning the setup and plan on raising the whole trailer with some fabwork between the bags and wishbone to fit wheels and tires to match my tow rig. The setup is perfect otherwise!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Great lights on the back.If you had to do over would you use 2x4 are go with 1x4?

Thanks pkcub – I think I'd stick with 2x4's and 2x2's only because the 1/2” ply tended to have a mind of it's own and showed quite a bit of warping in the time from it was purchased to the 3-4weeks later when I started working with it. The thicker dimensioned lumber helped to bring it back to true without much fuss. It also gives extra space for wiring and insulation and worked well with the windows and doors I sourced.

The cons of the 2x4's and 2x2's would likely be cost, weight and the loss of interior width but I can live with it.

I would say if I were to build another I would find a supplier for 5'x10' ply and basically scale my design up accordingly and just tuck the fenderwells into the body to maintain the overall width.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Love the build and love the 1link suspension. I had an 85 4 runner that was a truggy that i built a 1link rear for, dual t/case rolling on 37" locked and i beat the crap out of it (most dont like a 1link) and never had any issues, 75 on the highway no sway bar was a pleasure to drive. Keep up the good work!

Thanks EXP-T100 – the 1 link suspension is so simple but works like a charm for this rig. I'm so glad I went this route instead of the other modified link setups I was originally considering. She's seen 75-80 behind my Tacoma and even with the spongy bags and Max Coupler the shocks keep the ride under control better than I'd expected.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
More extremely overdue updates!

I'm pretty terrible at keeping my outdated build thread updated but here's some more pics!!

Fitting the diamond plate stone guard was was a bit of a bear but it looks great and covers the seam between the roof sheet and the front fill panel.
IMG_1818_zps8a2e4a1d.jpg

IMG_1823_zpsf24765f2.jpg

Wasn't a fan of the white trim so I shot it with some silver spray paint to better match the aluminum skin.
IMG_1851_zps213192e1.jpg

Testing window and door fitment.
IMG_1854_zpsda372af4.jpg

IMG_1855_zps3ac38365.jpg

IMG_1863_zpsc3391c07.jpg

IMG_1870_zps84c2caf6.jpg

More FRP – stuff works great and will be easy to clean and durable. Downsides are it stinks, is pretty heavy, and is a pain to secure using the trim strips as I hate exposed fasteners!

IMG_1938_zpsdc437bb8.jpg

And some cabinetry teasers! Again I have to hide the fasteners – love my Kreg Jig!

IMG_1966_zps3fcb663b.jpg

IMG_1969_zpsd45c98e2.jpg

IMG_1985_zpse3beeafc.jpg

IMG_1987_zpsf8521c4f.jpg

IMG_1990_zps77e3b8ae.jpg

IMG_1997_zps241b8cae.jpg

I'm counting on you guys to keep me on the updates here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier