is there a future for Windows tablets and phones

haven

Expedition Leader
Last night I had dinner with friends. One participant, a college junior, said in passing that he is moving to Windows tablet and phone. Since he works at an Apple Store, I was curious to find out more. In my companion's opinion, Apple has run out of new ideas, and is coasting along on the strength of products introduced 5 years ago. Microsoft, on the other hand, has to try harder.

Apple also has lost its caché with college-age youth. When your parents are using Find My iPhone to track your location, and your grandmother starts trying to Facetime you, it's time to bail.

Android has turned into Samsung, plus a couple of companies teetering of the edge of insolvency. Cyanogenmod and other Android hacker communities are cool, but only to the nerd elite.

Microsoft looks like the answer for my college-age companion. Anyone buying?

FJC Scout

Observer
They need to plug up the constant serious security concerns with their products before I would ever consider it myself.

TeCKis300

Observer
They need to plug up the constant serious security concerns with their products before I would ever consider it myself.

You'd be surprised that in this regard, Microsoft's ecosystem of software's is typically much more secure than any of the others. The reason you hear about them more is due to the sheer scale and enterprise user base they impact, rather than the non-mission critical use of typical apple and android products.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
<rant on>

In a word... No. Windows 8 is (IMHO) the biggest piece of $@&# ever. After the Windows Vista fiasco which allowed Apple to double to triple it's market share you'd think Microsoft would have learned something. Windows 7 was a very good XP replacement. Then they ******'ed it all up again with their attempt at a "universal", all things to all men and machines operating system in the form of Windows 8. I just got a Moto X for a work phone and was looking at the windows phones in the ATT store. They are SO far behind Android and iOS it's pathetic. And then when working on my parents desktop with Windows 8 I sound like a sailor the whole time!

I am REALLY surprised Google hasn't decided to step into the laptop/desktop computer operating system market. If they catered to businesses and avoided gimmicks and over "graphicizing" the interface they'd have 50% of the market in 2-3 years.

<rant off>

And this from a guy who owns a Mac and will probably get a windows laptop to replace it when the time comes.

motas

Adventurer
Didnt google release a chrome os? I think they also sell a chromebook. I dont think it is anywhere near what microsoft and apple can do. Personally on a mobile device I find apple far too restrictive. I have android at the moment and had a windows device previously. Android has the developer support and freedom which the othet two lack. However the quality of apps is terrible. Personally I like windows the best but they dont have the app support just yet. On a computer windows is my only choice. Apple again is too constrictive I dont want to have to buy a mac pro and use all apple products. windows 8 has its goods and bads but at this point is still buggy. I think they hedged their bets too much with the metro and old style systems. For example windows explorer is still on the windows 7 style. It and all other things should run as a metro app. Hopefully windows blue or whatever it is will be a good windows 7 replacement. Linux is actually one of my favourite os but cant run everything I need so its easier to just stick with windows.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

F350

Observer
I'm a windows phone user and have had mine for a year. It works great and the camera is sweet. What is lacking is apps. Yes there are a crap load of apps and 95% of the "big" apps are there...like facebook, twitter, flightaware, etc. What is not there are the specialty apps like an app for my Credit Union. It's those type of apps that make windows frustrating and after a year, I don't see it changing. I was in the market for a tablet and looked hard at the surface...and simply couldn't pull the trigger on it for some of the same reasons I'm frustrated with the phone. I ended up with an andriod Nexus7. My previous phone was an iphone so I've used all three systems. I'm now looking at going back to Apple both for phone and tablet.

I don't understand statements about Apple getting "stale" or is stagnant. They keep improving their products and app/OS support is second to no one. I think a lot of people buy the latest and greatest every time something new comes out. I don't. I usually get something based on how it works and how it will last. I wanted windows to be the one for me but I think they started too late in this game and are too far behind to be any kind of force. Too bad too because outside of the apps, mobile windows works great and has been as good as the iphone 4 I had. I'm still not impressed with andriod.

my 2 cents.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
It all depends on your personality I guess. If you're tech guy who likes getting into the nuts and bolts of things and tweaking everything till its just right for you, windows is what you may prefer, since it still gives all the options and variables you can set yourself. It can be time consuming, but for us stubborn folk, its what we like. If you prefer to plug and play and not do any customization, Mac is what you want. Very few options, but those types of people don't need them.

I have two computers right now. A Dell laptop with Windows 7 and a desktop with Windows 8. The only thing I don't like about 8 is the App function. Fortunately, it has a Desktop function as well, which is where I do my work. Again, its all about options. What Windows should have done is make two separate operating system types, one for desktop and one for laptop/tablet. Tablets need the App function since the touch screen is the only human interface device they come with. You can buy a keyboard and mouse to go with it, but then its just a 2 piece laptop. The desktop function is good for office work, where you need to access and sort files quickly, which you can't do with the App function. I'm guessing the current Windows 8 was aimed at laptops more than tablets, since it uses a desktop app.

I can't really give Windows 8 a bad review, but I can't give it a good review either. If not for the fact that the defaults on the system seem to want to work with the apps, rather than the desktop that I prefer, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

As for phones, you realize that there is little difference between a smart phone and a tablet anymore, right? The OS just depends on how people use it.

Lecoq

Explorer
I've had Iphones, Androids (currently Sony Xperia ZL) and Windows phones. I'm waiting for the Lumia 930 to come out in June. Love my Sony more than all the other phones I've had but I miss the simplicity of the the Lumia 920 I had. I agree on the lack of apps for day to day use, banking especially. However I think it's a much more fun phone to use and the fact that (on the Nokia) you can load maps to the phone and save on data when travelling. I know Android has the ability to cache maps in Google maps but you can't cache an entire country. I'm sure one could purchase a paid navigation app like the Garmin or similar.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I run a windows smartphone (nokia 900).
It works just OK. To me it seems like they just stopped developing the phone part way through. I feel that the phone is missing some small options.
I mainly purchased so my zune (yes I still have a zune), home pc, work pc, car pc, xbox, etc would all be connected (since they all run microsoft).

I also have an andriod tablet (so I can get my andriod fix). At this point, I am not going to get another windows phone after this one dies.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I don't take advice from retail sales clerks. And, 90% of high school and college kids rock MacBooks.

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft is holding a meeting on May 20 to announce new tablet and phone products. Should add fuel to this discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior