How to mount fridge slide in 4th Gen 4Runner?

TXLX

Observer
I am needing a solution to mount a fridge slide in a 4Runner. It has cargo rings at the 4 corners of the floor. My LX has third row seat mounts, so I didn't run into this with my install on that one.

1) I'd like to avoid making any new holes in the floor if possible.

2) I saw a thread where an entire piece of plywood was fitted to the floor as a mounting point, but I'd like to avoid that as well.... I won't be installing a drawer in it.

3) It has the pop-up rear floor, but doesn't seem strong enough to mount to.

It seems like mounting directly to the floor pan is my best option, but just wanted to find out what others have done. Thanks.

Ramjet

Explorer
I full piece of plywood is the way to go. Here is a pic of mine.

image.jpg

If you mount it on the left hand driver side you will be able to lower your back seat and a larger area for big gear. It took me about 4 hours to cut and line up the hole to bolt it directly to the factory mounting holes. Good luck.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Build one of these:

2011-04-10-28.jpg

more info here:

and as a bonus you get a flat floor to sleep on and a pull out tailgate:

4runner31.jpg

2011-04-10-31.jpg

TXLX

Observer
That's a pretty good looking and functional floor. This is for my mom's 4runner and she'll just be using the cargo for the fridge and packages. If it were for me, I'd probably copy that!

I'll think it over. The plywood route, while nice, is extra work, extra weight just to mount a fridge slide. I have to get under the car to install a hitch soon, I'll check it out and see if it can be bolted to the floor cleanly.

I have been looking at slides, the Front Runner seems like the cheapest option for a quality slide at around $330. Any better suggestions? My metal fab skills aren't up to making one as nice as I can buy.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Does she need all the rear seats? When I go out with only my wife, we often put the fridge in the driver side passenger spot to free up the back. It fits perfect and is very simple to mount it there.

4runner17.jpg

more info here:

Ramjet

Explorer
The new front runner slide is 267 bucks, which in my opinion is a really good price for what it is. I have one, and it's a really nice slide. Even though the new one looks a bit better.

TXLX

Observer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she'll want to keep the seats. I thought about behind passenger front. Looks great in yours. What ARB model is that? Checked out your thread, you have a killer 4runner. I spent the weekend in my mom's, made me miss my old one a little. I may have to hunt down a v6 4x4!

I'll have to get an 80L front runner for my fridge, the $267 one won't fit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles