Best camping chair under $50 - $60

perkj

Explorer
I absolutely love the Kermit Chair. Very small when collapsed, very strong when deployed, and good looking to boot. I have two of them and a Kermit table. The table is a bit small.
http://www.kermitchair.com/

Been looking at these. How comfortable are they to sit in? Is the seating position reclined a bit or is it more an upright seating position? Do you have the feet extenders to give you more height? if so, how is the stability of the chair with them added?

Chili

Explorer
The best camp chair I ever had is my ten year old MacAbee. I needed to buy more this year but I couldn't find them anywhere because they changed their name to Mac Sports. I bought two new Mac Sports and they are identical in every way except that the new ones have a fold out tray and drink holder and they have added reflective stripes which will help keep crazies from driving over your campsite at night! They won't break and have great support for my maximus. Here is the old and the new side-by-side:

View attachment 243546

Cam

I've had the one on the left for a couple of years and really like it. The more upright seating position is nice, particularly for eating or playing games. Table comes in really handy. Legs don't sink into soft ground nearly as easy. You don't get the cut off circulation in your legs like you do with traditional chairs. Can't recall exactly where I got it, but I'm sure it was a big box (WalMart / Target / Academy) and I'm sure I didn't pay more than about $30.

That said, it does cause me to to bring out one of those zero gravity chairs as well, since it isn't the most comfortable for simple lounging.

landy89

Observer
Been looking at these. How comfortable are they to sit in? Is the seating position reclined a bit or is it more an upright seating position? Do you have the feet extenders to give you more height? if so, how is the stability of the chair with them added?
I do not have the feet extenders; frankly have not seen the need for them. I am 6' tall and about 180lbs. The chair is very comfortable for me. Seating is with a slightly reclined position. I've sat in this chair for 6 hours straight without issue. Without the extenders, the height of the chair makes it a bit low for seating at a regular table. I don't have a regular table, so this is not an issue for me. The Kermit table is short also and is the perfect height for the chairs. The low chair makes it easy to put your drink on the ground beside you. That is, the ground becomes a 'table' of sorts. Very comfortable chair and about 45 seconds to assemble. WHen disassembled, the package is about 2' long and about 4" in diameter. Very easy to store out of the way. It is a very relaxing chair to sit in at the beach.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
I do not have the feet extenders; frankly have not seen the need for them. I am 6' tall and about 180lbs. The chair is very comfortable for me. Seating is with a slightly reclined position. I've sat in this chair for 6 hours straight without issue. Without the extenders, the height of the chair makes it a bit low for seating at a regular table. I don't have a regular table, so this is not an issue for me. The Kermit table is short also and is the perfect height for the chairs. The low chair makes it easy to put your drink on the ground beside you. That is, the ground becomes a 'table' of sorts. Very comfortable chair and about 45 seconds to assemble. WHen disassembled, the package is about 2' long and about 4" in diameter. Very easy to store out of the way. It is a very relaxing chair to see in at the beach.

Thanks for the additional info. Any chance you've sat in a Helinox Chair One (not the rei copy) and if so how do the two compare?

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I sat in a Kermit ? but not owned one but own the Helinox from what I remember one was not better than the other just different
I do like the head rest mod for the helinox since it lets you %100 relax !! something so many camp chairs lack IMHO is a way to relax and lay back !
the most comfy chair I had was the snow peak high back !! but wife did not like it cut into the edge of her legs some ?

I think kb7our here has the helinox now and has Kermit also ?

would like to get a pair of the Kermit also just to break things up a bit ? kinda used to like having two chair styles along for that reason alone

Thanks for the additional info. Any chance you've sat in a Helinox Chair One (not the rei copy) and if so how do the two compare?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
That looks exactly like GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger Chair, does it appear to be fragile? I wanted to buy one, but closest REI didn't have it, so wasn't able to look at it...

I was waiting for Front Runner's black friday sale. Then I saw this thread and found these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026VQC0I/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are a ton of reviews of these chairs breaking or ripping but they all seem to be from a few years ago. I wonder if they fixed the problem. Maybe I'll order from REI just in case.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
OZtrail Royale camp chair. LOVE them.

http://www.kakaducamping.com/collections/camp-furniture/products/royale-chair

300x300_royale_1024x1024.jpg

Tough, comfortable, well padded and sturdy. A bit over the $60 range (on sale regularly for $65) and worth every penny. We have 2 and they are the best I have owned.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I was waiting for Front Runner's black friday sale. Then I saw this thread and found these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026VQC0I/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are a ton of reviews of these chairs breaking or ripping but they all seem to be from a few years ago. I wonder if they fixed the problem. Maybe I'll order from REI just in case.

I bought my wife one from REI. The day after her's showed up., I found 2 more at a yard sale for $10 each. I am over the recommended weight and it held up fine this past summer.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
After more than 3 months on road and using them nearly every day I can give our feedback on "GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger Chair" that we bought at REI when they were on sale...

They are great! If at the beginning they didn't feel like the best thing, now they do. They are well built and very portable - everything you need for a good camping chair. Also well bellow $50 - $60, to be exact we bought ours for 25$ per piece, Amazon now sells them at around 35+ shipping, so say $40 for a good camping chair. I think it's a good deal :)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
After more than 3 months on road and using them nearly every day I can give our feedback on "GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger Chair" that we bought at REI when they were on sale...

They are great! If at the beginning they didn't feel like the best thing, now they do. They are well built and very portable - everything you need for a good camping chair. Also well bellow $50 - $60, to be exact we bought ours for 25$ per piece, Amazon now sells them at around 35+ shipping, so say $40 for a good camping chair. I think it's a good deal :)

$32 and free 2nd day shipping on prime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94