bear proof food storage containers

BobA

Adventurer
I'm looking for something to keep dry food items in for my trip to yellowstone. I'll be in a soft top jeep. I found a large fiberglass box at a surplus store with clamps on all the sides and a rubber seal. Would something like this be ok to leave in a open vehicle and not worry about bears taking it? Mainly mre type meals and canned goods.

robgendreau

Explorer
No. In fact, odds are in some places the Authoritays are not gonna let you store food in your vehicle; you'll have to use the bear boxes at campgrounds. I've even been forced to do that with my camper van. And bears will open containers on just appearance, even if it's full of only canned stuff.

So get something that you can easily lug to a bear locker. And/or a real bearproof cannister. I'd suspect that to a bear your fiberglass thingy is no more of a hindrance than a rubbermaid bin, so save the money.

BobA

Adventurer
Ok thanks. Figured since its in a can or thick plastic like a mre theres no smells or anything to attract bears.

sdcanine99

I've always wondered if one of these dog food containers would keep bears out. Pretty much the same idea as the "bear canisters", but without the tab lock on the screw off lid, and for half the price.
Anyway, if you want to keep the rangers happy, get something from this list.

Kelly Campbell

I really thought a fiberglass box for your dry food storage would do the trick … keeping the bears away. But apparently, checking with my camp mates, it won't. So get those bear-proof containers. Most camp sites would have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles