Sleeping bag recommendations

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have been searching both the internet and brick and motor stores for a warm weather sleeping bag to use in my tent at the beach and up in the mountains in CA. With so many different ones to choose from, I am wondering what do you guys use? It needs to be kind of long, because I am 6'1". I saw a Coleman multi-weather bag at Sport Chalet, which caught my eye that has removable liners for colder weather and is rated for 20 - 70 degrees, which would be nice for camping in my pop up trailer in the desert in the winter, so I won't need to get a second bag. Any one have any input on the Coleman multi-weather bag?

Phoenix

Adventurer
For warm weather, have you considered stopping by a cloth shop and buying some fleece? You can make it however long you need it to be. Add some length on the side that rests on the ground to put a pillow on. Have someone sew up two sides, the foot, and along one side, like an L. Compacts down nicely, grab a stuff sack and you have something for under $20. I'm also tall and hate spending ridiculous amounts of money for 6 extra inches of material.

For cooler temps, think about wool blankets and the same process, just consider using a zipper or velcro to trap the heat.

Another option is the US Military 4 part sleep system generally available on ebay. A 30 degree bag, a zero degree bag, a goretex waterproof shell, and a stuff sack. In the spring and fall the 30 degree bag is plenty. I use the 0 degree bag when it is below freezing. For anything under 15, the 0 degree bag buttons into the 30 degree bag. The goretex liner snaps onto the 30 or the 0 degree bag for a couple degrees of extra comfort. I'm 6' and a bit big around the mid section, this fits fine.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Cabelas and and Campmor have a huge selection of bags for all seasons. Many that can be zipped together

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

java

Expedition Leader
I have both a North face and a Mountain Hardware. Both -20 bags. One down one synthetic. Both are great! And zip together for my wife and I.

I would wholeheartedly recomend getting one rated much colder than you plan on staying in. The new 'euro' ratings are supposed to be better balanced across the brands, they are independently tested. Older brand ratings are very random. Id rather be warm and have to unzip a bit than freezing all night.

And In the summer just use a blanket. In spring, if its warm, just unzip one side of the bags and use as a blanket.

My 2c.

perkj

Explorer
First things first, what type of camp do you plan to use the bag for? Car camping, backpacking, both, etc?

orangeex

I agree with Shogun, I've used the Sleep System from Wiggys for getting on 15 years. It the only one that sets realistic temperature ratings. The Summer bag is great - used it over the weekend at Expo and add it to the winter bag and you get an Arctic rated bag. Insane!
What are you waiting for - call them!!
BTW I'm not paid by him but he is a great and knowledgeable guy

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I agree with Shogun, I've used the Sleep System from Wiggys for getting on 15 years. It the only one that sets realistic temperature ratings. The Summer bag is great - used it over the weekend at Expo and add it to the winter bag and you get an Arctic rated bag. Insane!
What are you waiting for - call them!!
BTW I'm not paid by him but he is a great and knowledgeable guy

Agree with all you said as I have the same bags from Wiggy. But have to say it's not a 70 degree bag that OP indicated. Well, unless you sleep on top of it.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

Kelly Campbell

If costs isn't a problem with you, go for the Coleman multi-weather bag. It's practical and it'll come in handy no matter what the weather is in the camp site.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
If time isn't an object, sign up for deal flyers at sierra trading post. I popped an 450$ XLwide/XLlong marmot down bag from them for $125. Favorite sleeping bag ever for car camping. I even prefer to backpack with it if I'm gone 5days or less. I have a mountain hardwear 0* UL for anything longer and my GF uses it for colder trips when I take marmot.

1 thing really matters - how comfortable you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne