Microsoft Surface Pro 3 12 inch tablet

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft announced the next generation Surface tablet today. The Surface Pro 3 has a larger screen with higher resolution than previous models. The screen supports a new stylus. A new accessory keyboard is available.

A few specs:

12 inch, 2160 x 1440 pixel LCD touch screen display, 3:2 aspect ratio, 216 ppi
Weight 800 g / 1.8 lb without keyboard cover
Dimensions 11.5” x 7.93” x 0.3” (292 mm x 201.3 mm x 9.1 mm)
WiFi only at first
No GPS
9 hours battery life
5 megapixel cameras front and rear

The Surface 3 was described as a laptop replacement, not as a competitor to Apple and Android tablets.

The new stylus and touch screen is attracting support from 3rd party software developers. For example, Adobe is working on a new version of Photoshop, adding touch features.

The Surface Pro 3 is priced similar to the comparable MacBook Air and MacBook Pro notebooks. Note that the Surface prices don't include the accessory keyboard, aka Type Cover. The Type Cover costs an extra $130, and adds 0.6 lb to the Pro 3.

Surface Pro 3 – Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage – $999
Macbook Air 13" – Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, no Retina display – $999

Surface Pro 3 – Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage – $1,299
MacBook Pro 13" – Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, Retina display - $1,299

Surface Pro 3 – Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage – $1,549
Macbook Pro 13" – Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, Retina display – $1,449

Surface Pro 3 – Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage – $1,949
Macbook Air 13" – Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage, Retina display – $1,799

Pre-orders begin on Wednesday, with delivery expected in a month.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Apple MacBook Air and Pro models were used for comparison at the Surface Pro 3 presentation. Windows 8 Ultrabooks from other manufacturers provide plenty of competition, as well.

For example, Samsung has an Ultrabook line called the ATIV 9 Plus. The ATIV 9 employs a 13.3 inch touch-enabled screen with a 3200 x 1800 pixel resolution. (275 ppi). The ATIV 9 Plus model with Core i5 processor, 4 GB RAM and 128 GB storage costs $1399. Similar models are available from Lenovo, Sony and other familiar Windows laptop makers.

How does the Surface Pro 3 compare? It's a half pound lighter than the ATIV9 Plus, and costs about the same in similar configuration when you include the keyboard. The Surface Pro 3 has an extra (rear facing) camera, and the keyboard is detachable. The Pro 3 includes a quality stylus.

The Samsung model has a larger display with more pixels, a better keyboard, and more ports. Some of its extra weight is due to an all aluminum case.

Would the Pro 3's detachable keyboard, stylus and 8 ounce weight savings attract you, or would the sturdy construction, more ports and higher resolution touchscreen of the Samsung appeal more?

haven

Expedition Leader
I admit, I'm intrigued by the Pro 3's standard stylus. The stylus makes for more accurate graphics work, like photo editing. I'm no artist, but I know people who can do amazing work with a stylus-equipped PC. I like the idea of taking notes longhand, rather than trying to use an on-screen keyboard. Microsoft OneNote works with stylus input.

Samsung Galaxy Note tablets come with stylus input, but the use of the stylus is limited to a couple of apps that Samsung wrote. So I don't consider the Note tablets to be competitors.

haven

Expedition Leader
The cheapest Pro 3 will offer a Core i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 64 GB storage for $799, without keyboard.

Windows laptops from competitors used to offer Core i3 models, but dropped them in favor of Core i5 processors (for performance) and Atom (for reduced power consumption). I'm guessing that the Core i3 model will not be powerful enough to push pixels around the Pro 3's screen without noticeable lagging.

The Pro 3 uses processors from Intel's Haswell series. The Broadwell processor series comes out in a couple of weeks. Broadwell is reported to be 30% more power-efficient at a given clock speed. I suspect competitors, including Apple, will have new models using Broadwell by mid-Fall, in laptops and tablets that won't need a fan to dissipate heat. That will considerably reduce the appeal of the Pro 3.

haven

Expedition Leader
Several days have passed since the introduction of the Surface Pro 3. Reviews based on living and working with the new gadget are starting to appear.

The good news: Most everyone seems to think the Pro 3 is well made. The new keyboard is an improvement for touch typing. The new screen is clear and bright. The battery is good for 9+ hours of general computing. The Pro 3 works well as a laptop when you can place it on a table.

Not so good news: The Pro 3 is too heavy for use as a tablet for more than about 15 minutes. The way the new keyboard attaches is an improvement, but the Surface 3 is still wobbly when held on one's lap. The Pro 3 is as expensive as a tablet and a good quality laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/surface-pro-3-review-is-the-third-time-the-charm/

Today, the Pro 3 is a unique product, combining ultrabook-class processing power, a high resolution touchscreen, an accurate stylus, and a detachable keyboard. (in a few months, I expect we'll see similar products from Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and other laptop makers.). The Pro 3 is lighter than almost all laptops, convertibles and hybrids today. Is it a workable replacement for a tablet and a laptop? I guess that depends on how you use your computing equipment.

If you need a large tablet with high res touchscreen, the ability to split the screen and show two apps at once, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 looks like a nice choice. It has a 2560x1600 resolution, weighs 2/3 what the Pro 3 weighs, has a stylus that works with a few apps, and costs about $500. The Note 10.1 runs Android, so you can't use programs written for a Windows environment.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I should have waited, The new 3:2 screen size is awesome. I bought two asus vivotab RTs with keyboards. I love windows 8. My wife and I have fully integreated windows 8, windows phone 8 into our routine. Its awesome that everything just communicates back and forth. Plus having office 360 so you can work on stuff on your tablet, home computer, work laptop and phones is great too. The big thing with the surface pro in any version is you get full blown windows, not a mobile os. You have full reign to add any proper software you like, like great photo editing software, mapping software etc. RT is close but no sideloading of real windows programs into it. Other than that RT functions just like windows 8. Another plus of RT is the real browser, not a mobile browser. the only thing I use my acer iconia for now is nav and stuff in my jeep. That might change as well if someone makes a Bluetooth obd program like torque for RT. The mapping software on RT is great. use bing maps for planning and routing on the blacktop. switch to MAPS PRO for backcountry exploring.....in maps pro you can download Sat imagery to use as nav. Windows has gotten a bum rap from the media as RT don't have sheer number of apps as the other two. But in all reality who needs like 400 fart apps like apple has in their store. Or say over 60,000 apps that do not work correctly or are just JUNK. The apps in the windows store are quality. You don't have to sift through and figure out which one is best, you see something you like, download it and it works great.

Windows is way ahead of the other two players by a long shot. Just marketing and the "cool look at my apple" thing is not present with them. therefore they do not have the traction the others have. Once you start using it, you say, this is good and why did I not start using the windows gear earlier.

Scott Brady

Founder
We just used a friend's Surface on our trip to Baja. It certainly has some great features, like a traditional file structure and USB support for viewing GoPro footage. I liked it

kojackJKU

Once you figure out how the os works, I think its the best system out there. They have since added functionality for traditional computers with the x up in the top corner. Took a few google searchs for the funtions but its awesome now.

I will never own another tablet than a windows based. My wife and I love them, so easy, so good, and the regular windows file system. its a no brainer!

18seeds

Explorer
I'm a surface pro 2 user and love it. My next phone will most likey be a windows phone. I travel coast to coast 2 sometimes 3 tea per month and traveling light and simple is important to me. The only other alternative I would have liked is the Lenovo yoga 11

I've got an iphone, iMac, MacBook Air, iPad, iPad mini that I've used for work and personal for years. Windows 8 isn't perfect but pointing in the right direction

kojackJKU

I am running a Samsung ativ s phone. windows phone is awesome. 8.1 is amazing on the phone actually.

haven

Expedition Leader
more on Broadwell

Here's more information about tablets based on Intel's Broadwell processor series, coming this Fall. The new processors will be marketed using the name Core-M.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/intel-new-2-in-1-reference-pc/
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/intel-llama-mountain-prototype/

Intel has created a reference design for a tablet running Broadwell. It has a 12.5 inch display, weighs less than 700 g / 1.5 lb, and measures only 7.2 mm / 0.28 inches thick. Broadwell uses less power, so a fan is not necessary to keep the tablet cool. That makes Intel's design thinner, lighter, quieter and more energy efficient than Microsoft's Surface Pro 3.

Intel also showed a portable, detachable keyboard, and a keyboard dock that lets you use the tablet with a standard keyboard and monitor.

The Intel design does look like it uses a 16:9 ratio screen, which makes it less useful as a laptop replacement. The Surface Pro 3 uses a 3:2 screen. Changing the screen size and aspect ratio should be a simple task for tablet manufacturers.

Intel calls this device a 2-in-1 because it has a detachable keyboard. Others call this type of device a convertible or a hybrid tablet. For travelers who need both a tablet and a laptop, a 2-in-1 is looking like a reasonable choice.

Apple enthusiasts, this may mean a thinner MacBook Air without cooling fan will be announced this Fall. (Apple has used Intel processors for years in the Mac OS laptops.)

kojackJKU

surface pro 3 is killer. 16:9 is no where near as good as the 3:2 ratio for a multi use tablet. I am hoping to get one as soon as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94