Looking into new vehicle

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Well, I might be taking a new job within my company here shortly if things work out. The job itself is a long term dream of mine, so if it works out, I'm going to be psyched. However, one nice perk right now is that I have an '05 Chevy Silverado Crew cab that is a company truck and daily driver. If I take the new position, I'm going to be losing that, and having to move to Park City, Utah, which is where I actually am right now writing this. Soooo, this will leave me without a functioning vehicle. My Land Cruiser is sitting on jack stands in my barn (which happens to be 5 hours from where I live, which happens to be 1,400 miles from where I've been for the past couple of months anyway). The 80 is waiting for me to get down to putting it back together with a small fortune in parts for the front axle. Birfs, seals, inner axle shafts, and gears! Yikes. Even once I get it together, I really wasn't planning on using for a daily driver and to save it for my adventure rig.

Now, this is what I'm planning to do. I want to find a used F350 Powerstroke and get a good camper to mount in the back of it. These are the things that I'm trying to accomplish with this vehicle...

-long term ownage (keeping it long term, many years, many, many miles)
-temporary, or not so temporary place to live when I'm in Park City (I flat out refuse to spend what rent runs in this area) I need a rugged, but comfortable camper unit to put in the back, that can be removed easily when needed
-A rig that can handle a multitude of uses, has a huge payload, and still get decent economy
-Something that if I end up being able to live with the compromises of the size, I could transition into my adventure/expedition platform
-I'll need to configure a way to build in extra equipment storage. I have a lot of hobbies that I'm active in and need enough space and room to be able to bring bikes, skis, kayaks, and the potential for a lot of other gear and equipment, along with living comforts.

My father runs an F350 powerstroke, crew cab, long bed and does comercial towing across the country with it. He swears by the Ford's and thinks that they offer the best all around package and this is my main reason for going this route.

Now, from our forum experts i need a bit of advice...

1. Which of the powerstroke engines do you recomend? The newer, smaller displacement engine seems to have an economy advantage. The older larger version a torque advantage. How about reliability differences?

2. I've always preferred manuals to automatics, are there any issues to be aware of with the 6 speed versus the auto tranny?

3. Camper suggestions. My initial feeling is that I want to go with a crew cab, short bed, as the long bed crew cab's have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier. I'm thinking that the floorpan of the camper might suffer though. What brands would you recommend? I'm thinking of a hard shell versus pop up style for potential roof loads, and for living in, in cold weather. I would need to have a style that does not hang over the back bumper so that I can still tow with the truck. I'd like to have a full galley, head, and comfortable sleeping arrangements, as well as heat. There are so many brands out there, I guess I'm looking for some advice as to what some of the better brands are and things to watch out for.

Those are the big ones right now. I'm thinking, if done right, this vehicle could be my Swiss army knife. I would use it for my residence when i wasn't travelling for work (wouldn't be around much anyway) and when I was back, and had some free time, I could hit up some new places in the west that I've wanted to explore. In addition to the aforementioned additions, I'd like to put a bull bar on it with some auxillary lights for avoiding and protecting from wildlife on the highway, along with a CB dual auxillary fuel tanks that would fit in front of the wheel wells on each side of the camper unit.

My timeline is compressed, I would have to get a handle on this project by May 15th, so I need to start gelling my plan. Any suggestions that you guys may have would be appreciated. My knowledge of these rigs is pretty low and I basically need a crash course.:) I'm super excited as this not only will be a functional set up, but a lot of fun and possibly my ticket for an Alaskan trip that I've wanted to do for awhile.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Dear Lord! Where to start....

I would recomend getting in touch with OutbackCamper, he has a 2003 Ford F-350, short box.

I am not a Ford fan, but like you have a father that swears by Ford Trucks.

Also look into Turtle Expeditions they also use a Ford as a platform.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Personally, I would look into the vehicles, check their related forums, take a look at the TSB's issued on each of them, the recalls on each of them, how long each of them are lasting, what their problem areas are, etc. I did a fair amount of research before I bought my Dodge. There is a definate reason I did not buy a ford.....but don't base your decision on what one person says....here are a few sites to get you started...

Here is a partial list of ford TSB's

Some chevy stuff

More Chevy stuff

Dodge info (not restricted to diesels, but plenty of good info)

Here is a short list of sites catering to diesels...

And finally, if it doesn't sound like this, then you need to find a *real* diesel.:hehe:

Now, all that said, I'll give you my biased opinion....buy a cummins or go home.:beer:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
If you don't mind, PM me the details of the dream job, I'm curious. Sorry I missed you when you were here.

What about a Sportsmobile? It meets all your requirements, is technically an RV so it qualifies for special financing and insurance. The problem with modded vehicles is getting insurance to cover what the vehicle is actally worth in the event it needs to be replace. Because the Sportsmobile is not technically modified (you bought it like that), insurance covers everyting. Tichy Racing (Martin, Michael and Kat) has been using a F-350 van for a couple years now for everything from transporting people to hauling gear for race camps and living in it while traveling and at races.

If you want an expedition ready vehicle, go with a Ford van, if you are looking for highway hauling and good gas mileage go with a Dodge Sprinter -- they can get close to 25 mpg and have a ton of room to live in.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the difference between the Dodge and Ford trucks is like splitting hairs. They both have great engines and underrated automatics.

The Ford has an advantage with power and refinement, but the Dodge has an advantage in economy and service life.

I would buy either, but with a manual transmission, and in an extended cab, long bed configuration.

flywgn

Explorer
We've been extremely happy with our '04 F250 SD PSD, extended cab, long bed. We purchased it Sep '04, hurriedly put 500+ miles on it so that we could tow, then set out for the Arctic Circle. We now have >45K miles on it and it has performed w/o a whimper.

Fuel mileage has increased gradually to the point now that we get 17+ mpg when not towing. Towing over long distances (freeways, etc) we get around 13 mpg. Last week towing over to the Swansea ghost town and being in 4WD a lot and some low range stuff out mpg was 10.

We had a Lance cabover camper and really loved the workmanship and appointments, but didn't like the disadvantage of having to "break camp" every time we moved the vehicle, so we went to the trailer. The 19' ATRV by Komfort has proven itself worthy of the "all-terrain" label, but certainly with limits.

We now have a Horizon (with Chaser suspension) under construction at Adventure Trailers and are excited about adding it to our "fleet".

Mods to the F250
- changed out the OEM shocks after one trip to our house at Bufeo to Bilstein 7100 series reservoir shocks--a WONDERFUL change :D
- added a TransferFlow 50 gal tank/toolbox to the bed of the truck which gives us an 88-gal supply
- Snugtop "Sportsman" canopy w/side windows and extra reinforcement to the fiberglass top
- Yakima roof rack
- went to 285s from the OEM 265s

I love the transmission. In the "Tow-Haul" mode the automatic downshifting is great and I put it in this mode while driving the mtns in Baja even w/o a trailer. It keeps the tranny from frequent shifts.

All in all I can recommend the truck w/o reservations.

Below are two photos. The second one courtesy of Trailworn (Randy)

Allen

PS (On Edit) The tranny doesn't like the "Tow-Haul" mode in Low Range for some reason. It began to buck a little in that descent (2nd pic). I'll have to re-read the Owner's Manual and see if there are caveats.

Attachments

• 2006_0409Swansea-04060023 (Small).JPG
    2006_0409Swansea-04060023 (Small).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Flywgn-Swansea (Small).JPG
    Flywgn-Swansea (Small).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 91

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If ford goes through with their plans of ditching the leaf springs on the front axle and goes with a 4-link and coils, they will be taking a giant leap forward. They also have had some fuel system problems (I have heard some years are so bad that dealers will not even take them back as trade ins). I am not sure if they ever worked them out or not (it has been a couple years, so I'm pretty sure they did....)

The power you can get out of any of the modern diesels is such that it is moot to argue about it.....it is not a challenge to get 500+hp and 900+ ft/lbs out of any of them at this point (B-series Cummins, ford PSD or GM's Duramax). That much power is pretty much useless for the applications discussed here (non-competition applications). So really, I think it comes down to a persons preference on ride quality, handling, durability, longevity, aesthetics, and plain old brand loyalty. Ford has done a good job of marketing the power choke, (despite it being a v-8, like the duramax...)...but hey, at least they figured out what problem is with their trucks...then to remind themselves of it, they circled it. (HA! You had to see that one coming!:hehe: )

ps: Buy a cummins.;)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Do you know if they are using their ancient radius arm setup, or are they finally coming into the 19th century and building a 4-link? Nice to hear they are going with coils.....assuming they did a decent job designing it, that will bring them up to par...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
upcruiser said:
Now, from our forum experts i need a bit of advice...

1. Which of the powerstroke engines do you recomend? The newer, smaller displacement engine seems to have an economy advantage. The older larger version a torque advantage. How about reliability differences?

2. I've always preferred manuals to automatics, are there any issues to be aware of with the 6 speed versus the auto tranny?

3. Camper suggestions. My initial feeling is that I want to go with a crew cab, short bed, as the long bed crew cab's have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier. I'm thinking that the floorpan of the camper might suffer though. What brands would you recommend? I'm thinking of a hard shell versus pop up style for potential roof loads, and for living in, in cold weather. I would need to have a style that does not hang over the back bumper so that I can still tow with the truck. I'd like to have a full galley, head, and comfortable sleeping arrangements, as well as heat. There are so many brands out there, I guess I'm looking for some advice as to what some of the better brands are and things to watch out for.

Any suggestions that you guys may have would be appreciated. My knowledge of these rigs is pretty low and I basically need a crash course.

Well I'm no expert, but I can offer suggestions or at least what I would do if I were in your shoes. And BTW, when you get to Park City, shoot me a PM. I get down that way fairly often. And a BIG 10-4 on rental rates in Park City! OUCH!!

1. Of the Powerstroke engines, I would look at pre '04 models with the 7.3ltr. Way too many recalls and unhappy customers with the new 6.0 'Stroke. So many complaints that Ford is coming out with a new motor next year, the 6.7. Ford loyalists swear by the 7.3 and generally pan the 6.0 The 6.0 is also notoriously hard to start in cold weather. Not cool when you're already 10 minutes late for work! I'm not sure what Allen has in his truck but for parts availablity and longevity I would only consider the 7.3

2. The manual with the 7.3 is the more desired transmission. The 6.0 comes with their new 5 speed Torqueshift automatic. This is the best auto tranny Ford has ever offered. It operates similar to the Allison tranny in the GM diesels in that it acts as a manual transmission, but you don't have to depress a clutch pedal. The Torque shift senses when the vehicles are on an incline or going downhill and shifts accordingly. Pretty smart set up. Their new Tow Command system with an integrated brake controller would be nice, along with the Upfitter switches that allow you to run mods through a factory on/off switch. Those new features are really cool.

3. For a hard side slide in you cannot go wrong with a Bigfoot product. Top of the line. Other brands that are considered very good in quality are Lance Campers and Six-Pac campers. This I do consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about and if I had the need to live out of a camper and the bucks to do it right, Bigfoot would be my first choice.

Here's a link to a HUGE list of slide-in manufacturers I had saved and posted on another board Sorry to cross reference, but no way I wanted to type that list out again.

Regarding the 'Stroke vs. Cummins debate, if your family has owned and likes Fords you should probably go that way. If it were me and I've logged miles in all 3 of the full size diesel trucks, I would go with the Duramax. I simply prefer the better ride of the IFS in the GM's and their interior acruements. But between the Ford and Dodge, I would lean more towards the 5.9 High Output Cummins with the 6 speed. Dodge's auto trannies are not as well matched to the 5.9 as their 6 Speed. If you look at Dodges, make the 5.9 is the High Outpout 5.9. Fit and finish in the Dodges has greatly improved to the point where their seats are some of the most comfortable, the Sirius sat radio is really nice, plus they offer a Navigation screen as an option, just in case you make it to Alaska! Don't get to excited about the rear seat room in the Dodge Quad Cabs though. The new Mega Cab has a real back seat, but the standard quad cab models are not where you'd want to put adults for a trip of any length.

I just really like the way Daimler-Chrysler has gotten more aggressive in their product designs and marketing research. I'm leary of Ford right now because they are struggling so much internally and have lost a ton of market share over the last few years. Spending millions to develop the 6.0 (when there was nothing wrong with the 7.3) and scrapping it 3 years later? Ford has made several great vehicles over the years but they have really lost their focus and I feel their current line up includes some of the most bland and stale looking vehicles on the market. Judging by the number of units sold, apparently the majority of consumers agree.

I would give my money to the companies that have longevity and a plan for the future. And IMO, a Cummins is the most durable diesel engine on the planet and Bigfoot makes the highest quality hard side slide-ins available.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
My dad just bought an 06 Mega Cab, and I have to tell you, go this route. The cummins is strong, reliable, and efficient. The optional NAV system is pretty cool too. In the Mega Cab there is still a lot of storage space behind the back seats, and the back seats fold flat allowing for enough room to stow almost anything you want in it, and enough leg and head room back there that Shaq would not even complain. I do like the Ford's though, but would stay away from the 6.0, though the 04 + models do have some way cool features that can come in handy in a rig like that. I think it all boils down to personal preference, and what you feel you like the best.

And Brian, too bad most all of the newer big diesel engines are getting quieter and quieter every model year. I love that sound:victory:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
kcowyo said:
I would lean more towards the 5.9 High Output Cummins with the 6 speed. Dodge's auto trannies are not as well matched to the 5.9 as their 6 Speed.

Some people are complaining about the new 6 speed ('06+). The overdrive is a much lower ratio than the previous manual transmissions. Effectively, it makes as much difference as going from the 3.73 axle ratio to the 4.10 ratio. (unlike gas engines, the 3.73 is more desirable for 99% of the users out there with the diesel engines due to the amount torque being made so low in the rpm range). A friend with a '04 CRD/6-speed/3.73's, with completely stock drivetrain and 35" tires....he is still looking for 7th gear on occasion. My '96 cummins with auto/3.54's would benefit from an additional overdrive....the engines just make so much power that they could literally cruise down the freeway at 75mph at 900 rpm if the gears allowed it and it was unloaded.

KC, as to the HO vs non-HO.....As far as I know, there are only 4 CPL's for Dodge in the '06 model year. 2 CARB versions (cpl 8348 for the manual, 8349 for the automatic), and 2 EPA (federal) versions (cpl 8344 for the manual, and 8345 for the automatic). All 4 of the cpl's produce the same power: 610ft/lbs @ 1600 rpm, 325hp @2900 rpm. The last "HO" cummins used in a Dodge was in the first half of the 2004 model year. Beginning on Jan 1, 2004 (model year '04.5), all the engines produce the same power, regardless of transmission or emissions certification type.

Oh, one more thing, Cummins warranty's all their engines for 100K miles. This is not a Dodge warranty, it is through Cummins. Dodge still honors their traditional warranty, but if you have engine trouble after the Dodge warranty expires, you can still get it fixed through cummins.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
bigreen505 said:
If you don't mind, PM me the details of the dream job, I'm curious. Sorry I missed you when you were here.

What about a Sportsmobile? It meets all your requirements, is technically an RV so it qualifies for special financing and insurance. The problem with modded vehicles is getting insurance to cover what the vehicle is actally worth in the event it needs to be replace. Because the Sportsmobile is not technically modified (you bought it like that), insurance covers everyting. Tichy Racing (Martin, Michael and Kat) has been using a F-350 van for a couple years now for everything from transporting people to hauling gear for race camps and living in it while traveling and at races.

If you want an expedition ready vehicle, go with a Ford van, if you are looking for highway hauling and good gas mileage go with a Dodge Sprinter -- they can get close to 25 mpg and have a ton of room to live in.

I sent you a PM

A sportsmobile would be nice, but a pickup would work well for some other needs I could use it for. I will likely be building a new garage at my house in Marquette here in the next year or so, and I have alot of stuff that I would need to move and tow if I sell my cottage where I have my other cars and tons of stuff stored in a pole barn. Funny that you mention the Tichy's, they were kind of my inspiration for living on fourwheels. I work with Martin and Michael alot as they do all of our Mid Am races here during the season. I remember when they first started coming though and the whole family would be in the 'ol Van. The Dodge Sprinters would be great too, but I'd also like to keep some offroad ability, especially if I had to offload the FJ80.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
goodtimes said:
If ford goes through with their plans of ditching the leaf springs on the front axle and goes with a 4-link and coils, they will be taking a giant leap forward. They also have had some fuel system problems (I have heard some years are so bad that dealers will not even take them back as trade ins). I am not sure if they ever worked them out or not (it has been a couple years, so I'm pretty sure they did....)

The power you can get out of any of the modern diesels is such that it is moot to argue about it.....it is not a challenge to get 500+hp and 900+ ft/lbs out of any of them at this point (B-series Cummins, ford PSD or GM's Duramax). That much power is pretty much useless for the applications discussed here (non-competition applications). So really, I think it comes down to a persons preference on ride quality, handling, durability, longevity, aesthetics, and plain old brand loyalty. Ford has done a good job of marketing the power choke, (despite it being a v-8, like the duramax...)...but hey, at least they figured out what problem is with their trucks...then to remind themselves of it, they circled it. (HA! You had to see that one coming!:hehe: )

ps: Buy a cummins.;)

For my budget, I'd probably looking at a used truck somewhere between an '00-'03. I do like the Cummins as well, but with the experience that my father has had racking up the miles on his Ford, I figure I could steal some of his ideas and utilize his know how on some of the upkeep items. The only heavy duty rig I'd probably stay away from really is the Chevy as I hear alot of issues regarding suspension and engine problems, specifically fuel injectors on the Duramaxes.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
kcowyo said:
Well I'm no expert, but I can offer suggestions or at least what I would do if I were in your shoes. And BTW, when you get to Park City, shoot me a PM. I get down that way fairly often. And a BIG 10-4 on rental rates in Park City! OUCH!!

1. Of the Powerstroke engines, I would look at pre '04 models with the 7.3ltr. Way too many recalls and unhappy customers with the new 6.0 'Stroke. So many complaints that Ford is coming out with a new motor next year, the 6.7. Ford loyalists swear by the 7.3 and generally pan the 6.0 The 6.0 is also notoriously hard to start in cold weather. Not cool when you're already 10 minutes late for work! I'm not sure what Allen has in his truck but for parts availablity and longevity I would only consider the 7.3

2. The manual with the 7.3 is the more desired transmission. The 6.0 comes with their new 5 speed Torqueshift automatic. This is the best auto tranny Ford has ever offered. It operates similar to the Allison tranny in the GM diesels in that it acts as a manual transmission, but you don't have to depress a clutch pedal. The Torque shift senses when the vehicles are on an incline or going downhill and shifts accordingly. Pretty smart set up. Their new Tow Command system with an integrated brake controller would be nice, along with the Upfitter switches that allow you to run mods through a factory on/off switch. Those new features are really cool.

3. For a hard side slide in you cannot go wrong with a Bigfoot product. Top of the line. Other brands that are considered very good in quality are Lance Campers and Six-Pac campers. This I do consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about and if I had the need to live out of a camper and the bucks to do it right, Bigfoot would be my first choice.

Here's a link to a HUGE list of slide-in manufacturers I had saved and posted on another board Sorry to cross reference, but no way I wanted to type that list out again.

Regarding the 'Stroke vs. Cummins debate, if your family has owned and likes Fords you should probably go that way. If it were me and I've logged miles in all 3 of the full size diesel trucks, I would go with the Duramax. I simply prefer the better ride of the IFS in the GM's and their interior acruements. But between the Ford and Dodge, I would lean more towards the 5.9 High Output Cummins with the 6 speed. Dodge's auto trannies are not as well matched to the 5.9 as their 6 Speed. If you look at Dodges, make the 5.9 is the High Outpout 5.9. Fit and finish in the Dodges has greatly improved to the point where their seats are some of the most comfortable, the Sirius sat radio is really nice, plus they offer a Navigation screen as an option, just in case you make it to Alaska! Don't get to excited about the rear seat room in the Dodge Quad Cabs though. The new Mega Cab has a real back seat, but the standard quad cab models are not where you'd want to put adults for a trip of any length.

I just really like the way Daimler-Chrysler has gotten more aggressive in their product designs and marketing research. I'm leary of Ford right now because they are struggling so much internally and have lost a ton of market share over the last few years. Spending millions to develop the 6.0 (when there was nothing wrong with the 7.3) and scrapping it 3 years later? Ford has made several great vehicles over the years but they have really lost their focus and I feel their current line up includes some of the most bland and stale looking vehicles on the market. Judging by the number of units sold, apparently the majority of consumers agree.

I would give my money to the companies that have longevity and a plan for the future. And IMO, a Cummins is the most durable diesel engine on the planet and Bigfoot makes the highest quality hard side slide-ins available.

Thanks for all of the great input, suggestions, and experience in this post. I'm going to spend some time checking out those links for ideas. I agree, from everything that I've heard the Ford 7.3 seems like it would fit my bill better (cheaper used and possibly the more reliable).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles