Insurance?

TheThom

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I'm trying to insure my rebuilt pop up camper (see thread in my signature). My problem. It's registered as a 1977 Pop Up Camper but is much more like a modern off road camper. The only part of the original camper still there is the frame. The original is worth the few hundred I paid on craigslist. The current is worth much more.

How do you guys insure your trailers? Any tips/ideas?

protohyp

Adventurer
I just asked my agent (State Farm) the same thing and she said the company probably wouldn't insure. They did ask the same thing if parts were recycled but just said it would probably be a no go with SF insurance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Septu

Explorer
After reading this thread, I called my insurance company, and there's nothing they can do. Because I have and will continue modifying it, it doesn't fit into one of their boxes. They suggested I talk to a broker who could likely find something. Considering that the RTT will end up costing me ~4600k by the time it arrives (thanks duty and shipping), it's something I'll look into when I have more time.

tarditi

Explorer
Standard insurance companies may not have a "box" for it to fit into as you say, but you can get insurance for just about anything - for the right price.
Lloyds of London insured an actresses legs, after all.

You could go with a firm that specializes in custom trailers and RVs:
http://www.rvins.com/

Some carriers sell custom parts and equipment riders, too:
http://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/motorcycle-insurance-coverages-custompartsequipment/

Another option is to get an umbrella plan - they are not as common as they used to be, but some carriers still offer them.

cwm

Observer
Umbrella policies are liability policies. It sounded like the OP is looking for property coverage (comprehensive and collision) on the increased value of the trailer and it's accessories.

bunger

Adventurer
I have a policy covering my antique firetruck. It's an "agreed value" policy. I declared a certain value for it and they insured for that value. I can change that value when renewing the policy every year so I can adjust for increase in value if I do some restorations or additions to the truck. There might be something similar for trailers.

I got my policy thru Condon & Skelly in NJ. They insure a lot of collector & specialty vehicles. I would run it by them. http://condonskelly.com/WhatWeInsure/
They probably won't insure trailers but maybe they can point you in the right direction of some company that does policies based on Agreed Value.

Last edited:

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I know your's is a custom build, but did State Farm say anything about a regular RV insurance policy for standard trailers/RVs? I'm having a tear drop built by SoCal and they're just a regular manufacturer of tear drops. So I would assume it wouldn't be that hard to get.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Amica Mutual Insurance insures my camper, and everything else in my life. For the camper, they insured it for my stated value.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
American Family insured my homebuilt (recycled 56 Ford truckbed) trailer. I told them it's worth $2000 and I got collision ($100 deductible) and comprehensive ($0 deductible) for $125 a year.

Xrunner

Explorer
My agent (Farmers) is always happy to ensure my trailer toys at a stated value. I think he has them added as riders on my home policy though and not a vehicle one?

He doesn't even ask why I have so many trailers... now if only my significant other would follow his lead! :)

java

Expedition Leader
As others have said stated value insurance. I have it for when my dirtbikes are in the trailer also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz