Patio's 2000 4Runner Buildup

Patio

Observer
Thanks for the kind words! The crew from Imminent Threat Solutions (KAILUAZ) put on some cool demonstrations at Overland Expo and had decent whisky to boot!

Here are some pics from Gold Mountain Trail in Big Bear from this weekend:

IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

Applejack

Explorer
Great build, I love it. I was told that wheel spacers would not work on factory wheels but I see you have made it work. I was told something like, the studs on the spacers were not long enough or something. Not so? Maybe it was just an issue with the brand they were selling.

troyboy162

Adventurer
Did you have to extend your rear lower shock mounts to get the up travel to those bump stops? Got any compressed and extended pics? Thanks

Patio

Observer
Applejack,
Perhaps they were referring to the thinner (1/8"-1/2" thick) slip-on style of spacer that just slides over the stock studs. This is not recommended unless you swap out the stock studs for longer ones as it leaves you with very little thread engagement for the lug nuts. This style of spacer (usually 1.25"-1.50" thick) has a second set of studs on it. The spacer bolts to the stock studs, then the wheel bolts to the six new studs that are pressed into the wheel spacer. I would recommend a good Made in the US brand such as Spidertrax or Synergy. I have been running them on several vehicles for a few years now with no issues.
Great build, I love it. I was told that wheel spacers would not work on factory wheels but I see you have made it work. I was told something like, the studs on the spacers were not long enough or something. Not so? Maybe it was just an issue with the brand they were selling.

Patio

Observer
Did you have to extend your rear lower shock mounts to get the up travel to those bump stops? Got any compressed and extended pics? Thanks
Troyboy162,
The King 2.5" rear shocks bolt in to the factory upper and lower mounting points. They were able to build the shock to the correct extended and collapsed lengths so it is long enough to allow full droop while being short enough to allow for full compression. I have new rear Toytec Superflex coils en-route and will try to shoot some fully collapsed pics when I get time to install them.

Patio

Observer
Great drawer system. Where did you get the drawer slides? What kind of weight rating?

Headhunter247,

The slides were just the biggest ones I could find at Home Depot, have been in use and loaded down with tools for several years now and they still slide well.

Patio

Observer
Had great time camping and exploring some trails up in the Mammoth/Crowley Lake area. Tons of cool trails to check out.

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4232.JPG

richmeyer

Observer
Mind sharing those figures? :D

Troyboy162,
The King 2.5" rear shocks bolt in to the factory upper and lower mounting points. They were able to build the shock to the correct extended and collapsed lengths so it is long enough to allow full droop while being short enough to allow for full compression. I have new rear Toytec Superflex coils en-route and will try to shoot some fully collapsed pics when I get time to install them.

Patio

Observer
Got the new Toytec Superflex rear springs installed (huge thanks to Miles at Toytec Lifts for getting them out to me quickly!). What a night and day ride difference vs the OME 891's. Even with the amount of weight I have in the back (one of these days I will pull everything out and weigh it all) they netted me an additional 1/4" of lift. They are so soft in the back I will finally get to play with the King's Compression Adjuster Knob, where as previously I had it set all the way to soft. I also like the Driver Side and Passenger Side specific coils to help with the 4runner lean.

Toytec Superflex vs. OME 891
IMG_5971.JPG

Patio

Observer
Finally got some rain out here, took advantage of the slightly cooler weather and took the family up some trails to Idylwild. Very pleased with how the TC/KING/Toytec Superflex setup is working and riding!

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Patio

Observer
Scored a Yakima Space Cadet on CL for $200, almost brand new condition. With the recent family expansion I found we needed some more room inside the 4Runner.
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne