Patio's 2000 4Runner Buildup

Patio

Observer
Greetings all, I decided to finally do a build thread on the Runner. This forum has been very inspirational and is chock full of great and innovative ideas.

Purchased in late 2010 with around 150K on the odometer in San Diego from a family who had their third child on the way and needed more room. Completely bone stock except for an aftermarket stereo because the stock one crapped out. That would not last long!

IMG_3477-1.JPG

General Vehicle Info:
2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4
3.4L V6
Auto Trans
E-locker
Desert Dune Metallic (by far my favorite paint color, really hides dirt well)

IMG_4111.JPG

Here is the list of what I have done so far:

Front Suspension:
Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms
King 2.5" Coilover Shocks
Total Chaos Secondary Shock Hoop
King 2.5" External Bypass Secondary Shocks
Total Chaos Weld-on Spindle Gussets
Superpro Polyurethane LCA Bushings
Total Chaos Poly Rack Bushings
Modified Tundra Inner CV Joints on 4runner-length, Tundra-splined 4340 axleshafts with hi-angle inner boots

Pat's 4Runner King Install (1).JPG

Rear Suspension:
Total Chaos Adjustable Rear Link Kit
King 2.5" Remote Reservoir Shocks with Compression Adjuster Knobs
Toytec Superflex Rear coils
King 2.0" Airbumps in Custom Mounts
Swaybar endlinks from the front, about an inch longer than the stock rear ones.

Pat's 4Runner King Install (32).JPG

Rims/Tires/Brakes:
255/85R16 BFG KM2 Tires
TRD FJ Wheels w/ OMF Beadlocks
Spidertrax 1.25" Hubcentric Wheelspacers Front/Rear
Tundra 231mm Front Brake Upgrade

IMG_4135.JPG

Exterior Mods:
Total Chaos Front Bumperette/Lightbar/Skidplate
Baja Designs Onyx Lightbar
Baja Designs Squadron Amber LED's
TJM Awning
TJM Bouilia RTT
Fabbed Roofrack Bars to mount Awning and RTT to
Stubbs Sliders

IMG_4094.JPG

Interior Mods:
Pioneer Double DIN DVD Player
Icom V-8000
Garmin GPS
ARB Fridge
Rear 2-Drawer Storage System/Sleeping Platform
Weathertech Floor Liners
LED Interior Lighting
Diehard Platinum Battery

IMG_4136.JPG

Future Mods:
Toytec Superflex Rear Coils
Dual Diehard Platinum Battery Setup
Pelfreybilt Rear Bumper/Spare Tire Swingout

More detailed pics and info to follow, I just thought I would get started with a general overview of everything I have done.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Awesome. If I were to get another 3rd Gen, that is the exact year, trim, and color I would get. How do you have the RTT mounted? On the stock rack?

Patio

Observer
p nut,

I built all new bars as a buddy of mine found out very quickly that the stock rails will not support an RTT with two people in it!

IMG_0480.JPG

cdrewferd

Observer
That's a great looking 4runner. Can you please provide more information on the modified CV's that you're running? Are they a lot stronger than stock 4Runner CV's?

p nut

butter
p nut,

I built all new bars as a buddy of mine found out very quickly that the stock rails will not support an RTT with two people in it!

Cool design. Looks almost like Yakima track racks. Definitely looks more sturdy than stock.

Patio

Observer
cdrewferd,

The Tundra inner CV joint has a 6 ball design that can handle greater angle than the stock Tacoma inner Tripod design. I had custom shafts made out of 4340 that were stock 4Runner length, but had the splines for the Tundra CV's. Basically they are stronger and can handle more angle.
Pat's 4Runner King Install (54).JPG

cdrewferd

Observer
Very interesting. Any plans to market them? If not, would you mind providing the drawings or what's needed to get a set of shafts made?

Patio

Observer
cdrewferd,

No plans to market them as they would be pretty expensive. I happened to have a set of Tundra CV's left over from another project so it was less painful on the wallet. After buying new CV's from Toyota and having the new shafts made it definitely wouldn't be cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94