need help choosing a fridge/freezer

tbone1004

Observer
I'm in kind of a weird pickle right now and hoping you guys can help me out. I'm moving next week from Maine to SC and have been thinking about buying a portable fridge/freezer. I do have some frozen stuff that I need to take with me on the trip which will be a 4 day debacle but I will have power for it the whole time, hence not wanting to go the cooler route. Long term use will be beer fridge in the garage and will take it with me when I go scuba diving and potentially put it in the back of the jeep for shopping since it is hot as hell down there. When scuba diving it will be in an enclosed trailer with my scuba gear. I was looking at the truckfridge but when I called they said the TF51 is backordered for a minimum of 90 days due to supply issues and I think the TF41 will be too small. From what I have read is that is the best bang/buck fridge/freezer out there. Is there any other fridges that I should be looking at? Not wanting to spend $1k on one of these things, just need something that will last as well as hold cold temperatures. No real hardcore offroading it has to survive, just normal access roads and what not.

Thanks for the help

Scoutn79

Adventurer
You are on a pretty short time frame and trying to make a rush decision on an item that can cost some big bucks, not to mention trying to get one ordered and shipped in the time you have left...I would get a big cooler and put in some dry ice form Wally World and save buying the fridge until you can weigh the pros and cons of them all and see what fits your needs.budget.

Darrell

tbone1004

Observer
the budget isn't the issue, I can afford a $1500 fridge if I have to, but I'm trying to figure out why the ARB costs twice as much as the truck fridge, and the National Luna twice as much as that. The Indel 50's are backordered for the long haul and if the ARB is truly worth twice the cost then I'll order one but I haven't seen a recent comparison thread of review of them, the most recent was done in 2011 that I have found.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have an Edgestar, but I really think the Truckfridge may be the best bang for the buck. I wouldn't count out the 41qt model. Remember, you aren't packing ice nor do you need to put all your drinks in the fridge at once. I have the 43qt Edgestar and I can fill it pretty easily when packing for a family camping trip. But that is only because I just throw everything in there. With a little forethought, a 41qt fridge can easily service a typical family. As beer fridge, the only downside it can efficiently pack cans, but bottles are tougher to do. But I'm sure that varies on bottle size and fridge dimensions.

the budget isn't the issue, I can afford a $1500 fridge if I have to, but I'm trying to figure out why the ARB costs twice as much as the truck fridge, and the National Luna twice as much as that. The Indel 50's are backordered for the long haul and if the ARB is truly worth twice the cost then I'll order one but I haven't seen a recent comparison thread of review of them, the most recent was done in 2011 that I have found.

There are far more knowledgable folks that are sure to comment but I will give my opinion.

The ARB fridge/freezers are more expensive due to the quality compressor and overall durability. They can also do both freeze and cool at the same time. The power draw is also substantially less. If you plan on being out for more than a day than that saves the toll on your battery.

Kurt at CruiserOutfit did an article a while back on fridges that I found very informative. I can't find it right now but you could try searching for it.

After a lot of research an ARB fridge will be my next purchase.

moabian

I haven't found a bad freezer/fridge yet. I started with a small Waeco Coolmatic...moved up to a larger one...then got an expensive and heavy FridgeFreeze for the truck...and now a 63-qt ARB for the JKU. Every one of them has worked perfectly and continues to work perfectly. The power draw has been surprisingly low on each of them. Amazon has several sizes of Waeco Coolmatics (Dometic now) in stock. They are relatively cheap and have Danfoss compressors. I gave my first Waeco to my girlfriend and she continues to use it in her new little Fiat 500. It's well over 10 years old now.

Every one of them has been semi-permanently mounted in a Jeep or truck and never taken out until replaced. Each has seen extensive use since I live 26 miles outside of town and use them for grocery transport several times per week...in addition to expeditions....and cooling drinks for the team on search and rescue missions. Look at it as a long-term purchase. For instance, if you buy a Waeco for less than $700, that's only about $70/year if it lasts for 10 years or more.

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
All I was saying is that "I" wouldn't want to rush a decision like this then find out later I would have been happier with a different manufacturer/model. I want the time to think out all of the pros and cons and think on it some.
That being said I have an Engel 45, can pack 8 days of food in it for myself easily and just keep a days worth of drinks in it and replace those as I use them or the food gets eaten.
Had it since 2005, rides in the back of the Scout a couple weeks or more a year and spends a couple more weeks in the camper. Never had a single issue. Very happy owner.

Darrell

TXLX

Observer
If you have the money to spend, you can't go wrong with ARB, Engel, etc. I have an edgestar I'm pretty happy with, but I had time to track down a cheap dented one and I have the expectation I'll be replacing it in a few years.

tbone1004

Observer
found an engel on craigslist for $350, hoping the person calls me back so I can get it before I go, if not, it'll be coolers for me

tbone1004

Observer
MT45F-U1 for $300 sound like a good deal? A bit smaller than I was hoping, but better than nothing for some of the meat I have to take down there. Should work nicely

brushogger

Explorer
If you have the room, IronMan makes a 12v refrigerator/freezer with actual separate freeze/fridge compartments. I have heard great things about it. Tracking one down is the trick. They are scooped up as soon as they hit the U.S. They are 65 liter and cost around $980 AUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tbone1004

Observer
Got it for $250 because the guy didn't have the DC plug so will have to find one of those, also didn't come with the handles, so bummer there, but oh well. Will likely just have to make a wiring harness to get it plugged into the trailer. Not too enthused but for $250 I'll survive. Anyone have a lead on the replacement DC plugs that aren't $30? What a ripoff

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier