Windows 7 and ToughBook CF-29

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Has anyone successfully installed Win 7 on an older ToughBook?

My CF-29 is running XP, and I would like to upgrade - if I can get all the devices working with 7.

I searched the net, and found one person who did successfully. I am thinking about following his advice/suggestions, but would like to know if anyone else has had any success.

Thanks.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I just found this business. They do the upgrade and get all the devices and drivers working - all for $200.00!

I think I will look into this. Given the time (mine) I will be able to save, it may just be worth it.

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
I'm running 7 on a MKII CF-19. See if you can find the Vista drivers (if available) for the 29. Those will sometimes work with 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Our old/extra toughbooks are CF29s (we have windows 7 with CF31s now). I converted one to windows 7 just to see how it would run.
It works for our programs and internet without any issues. I wouldn't want to use it for anything ram/processor intensive though.
I also run the Zune software for music, podcast and video. It runs my media stuff with no issues.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I just installed Windows 7 over XP on a CF-8 Toughbook and it went without a hitch. However, all my programs were sufficiently obsolete that I didn't hassle either saving or reinstalling them and will start over from the clean install, which is working fine.

762X39

Explorer
I am currently running 7 and XP (dual boot) on my Toughbook and encountered no problems.Before the swap I mirrored my 160g drive over to a 500g drive (actually Chris the IT person at work did it) so that I would have room for both systems. Some of the control programs I use only work on XP so I found it to be less of a hassle to run a dual boot system.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not planning on doing anything that is too processor intensive. I am setting this up to be a nav computer, talking with a GPS. I will have mapping software (hopefully not too processor intensive!), some office software (for notetaking, etc.), maybe some photo organizing (not post processing) software and a browser.

My thoughts are to take this one when I travel, not my "main" laptop.

I plan to have Tough Rugged Laptops do the install (and get all the Win 7 drivers working.) I will probably add memory too.

bearman512

Adventurer
I loaded Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on my CF-19 loaded with XP and it works great.
No more windows for me and can you say fast OS. You can tweek it anyway you need and have full support until 2019 when their next version will release.
Ubuntu 14.04 is another good OS but not much like windows like 17 Cinnamon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz