Gwagon professionnal azalai

pilfra60

Hello from France ,

I will buy this fabulous RV soon....
200_2.jpg
http://psi-azalai.com/lazalai-tout-terrain/mercedes-g/
It's built on a brand new W461professionnal with an OM642 diesel engine.
A very exotic truck but how do I maintain it for my travel in north america? It already seemed difficult in France , where only 20 were built.
It seems to be the same engine in 2014 MB sprinter USA?
Sorry for my english ,my son helps me.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on owning such a marvelous vehicle! And welcome to ExPo.

my understanding is that the current version of the OM642 3.0L V6 diesel is used in several Mercedes vehicles imported to USA, including the Sprinter. The rules for emissions control in North America are somewhat different than Europe, so some equipment is different. I think it would be wise to bring service manuals for your vehicle (available on CD) along on your journey so mechanics could compare with the parts lists for the North American G Class.

Mercedes factory authorized service is available in major population centers across North America. But, unlike Europe, service is limited in less populated areas. So help will be available, but it may not convenient.

North American diesel fuel switched to an ultra low sulfur formula in 2007. It's similar to the diesel sold in Europe, so you will have no fuel problems here. Diesel in Mexico, Central America and South America is still high in sulfur. This can harm modern emissions control systems. Check with Mercedes in Europe for recommendations about using high sulfur fuel if you plan to drive outside Canada and USA.

In North America, most Diesel engines produced in the last couple of years require the injection of a special chemical into the exhaust to reduce emissions of NOx. Mercedes calls this diesel exhaust fluid AdBlue. Mercedes dealers charge a fortune for AdBlue. A chemically identical DEF is available for much less from auto parts stores and service stations that cater to large trucks.

Please keep us advised about your travels. I'm sure many ExPo members would be happy to meet you during your visit to our side of the Atlantic.

nuclearmonkey

Observer
I was always under the impression that the 461 pro's engine was slightly different than the 350 bluetec - specifically designed for questionable fuel quality. Is this not the case, or does this truck have a different engine?

pilfra60

Hello haven and aaron ,
thanks for your answers ,I will visit the factory in two days and ask many questions to the manufacturer.
I will share you the answers about the engine.
This vehicule is the last one in France with Euro 5 regulation( now Euro6 no available on this truck)
It's possible to "downgrade" in Euro 3 in Germany for use in Africa.
If I say YES the camper will be ready for Chrismas.
My first travel:Iceland during 2 or 3 months.
After ,maybe in september 2015 I will cross the Atlantic.
I will be happy to meet expo menbers.

Francois

McBride

Adventurer
Francois,

Beautiful camper! If you buy it please post a lot of pics of the vehicle and your travels. We look forward to seeing you in 2015. Plan to be at the Overland Expo in May, you will be astonished by the event.

As for maintenance, any US dealership can order parts from Germany, all they need is the VIN. I have a G wagen with a 461 engine (290gdt- never imported to the US) and I haven't had any problems to date. They can usually get parts within a week to 10 days. There are also several independent mechanics in the US who are highly experienced with the G wagen.

If you run into any problems in the US there will be dozen's of Expo members who will offer their assistance.

William

pilfra60

I say YES.:wings:

I visit the factory where I can visit a just finished model and see my chassis cab.
I've got informations about the G : it's an engine without adblue. Automatic five speed gearbox.
IMG_2137.jpg
A chassis cab from Mercedes factory with exhaust on the top of the chassis.
A Land Rover 130 waiting for his camper.

IMG_2133.jpg
My chassis cab
IMG_2135.jpg
From factory they remove the end of the exhaust .
And the chassis is nearly 15'' longer.
There is a second diesel tank in inox and the rear of the cab is cut.

I will give you more informations later.
Thanks for your help about maintaining a G in America.

Francois

McBride

Adventurer
Congratulations! That is a nice platform. How many liters is the auxiliary fuel tank?

Last edited:

pilfra60

The auxilary diesel tank is 65 liters (17 gallons)
Principal tank is 98 liters (26 gallons)

The heating and hot water also use diesel (eberspacher model)
Now I've to choose for cooking:propane or diesel (Wallas)
It's 2100 US dollar extra cost.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Congratulations on your wonderful Azalai ! :D

With the diesel cooktop, then you only have one fuel and not two...

pilfra60

With the diesel cooktop, then you only have one fuel and not two...

Franck,
My english is poor ,are you saying that the diesel cooker is with one burner?
This Wallas 85 DU model is with two burners.

opened roof
IMG_7756.jpg

also 2 spare wheels
IMG_7747.jpg

Francois

haven

Expedition Leader
I think ersatzknarf means that if you choose the diesel cooktop, you only have to replenish one type of fuel (diesel) for all your appliances.

Propane regulations vary from country to country. You will need a variety of adapters to fill your propane tank in different countries.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thank you for clarifying that for me, Chip.

Apologies for the confusion.

I think ersatzknarf means that if you choose the diesel cooktop, you only have to replenish one type of fuel (diesel) for all your appliances.

Propane regulations vary from country to country. You will need a variety of adapters to fill your propane tank in different countries.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Very interesting camper. As was said before, the om642 is common here in the USA. I would be interested to see as many pictures of your camper as you can post. It looks like the rear wall of the cab is removed for access to the camper interior. Very nice.
Eric

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Quelle belle bagnole!

Ne vous inquiétez pas pour les questions d’entretins aux USA. Même que votre moteur ne soit pas le même model vendu ici, je suis sur que vous pouvez vous débrouiller en cas d’urgence. Et ne vous oubliez pas que le fait que ce model ne soit pas vendu aux USA ne veut pas dire qu’il va tomber en panne. Je viens de faire une raid a l’ouest du pais et je crois que j’ai vu un camping car européenne presque tous les jours. La plupart étaient des Allemagnes, mais j’ai aussi vu des Suisses et même des Français.

Si je pouvait rouler en Afrique avec un Chevrolet pendant des années, vous pouvez bien roulez avec un Mercedes Benz ici un ou deux ans sans problèmes. Il s’agit de vous assurer un stock des pièces des rechanges de consumation, c’est à dire, les filtres, les courroies, etc.

Envoyer moi une note si jamais vous visitiez Washington, DC. Nous avons un parking bon marche et pas loin du métro ! Et j’ai toujours voulu voir un Azalai.

Bonne route !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne