2011 frontier

justbecause

perpetually lost
17457539_318244801924467_1528979981676591263_n.jpg

I am not happy with the fit, or the ARB instructions, but the bumper is on. Today I have to trim and attach the splash guards. Then install the HD springs front and rear.

justbecause

perpetually lost
IMG_20170404_142617_313.jpg
ARB + warn installed; need to hook up the power and put my synthetic rope on it
OME heavy springs front and rear installed. I have a front end clank I cant track down, doesnt seem to be coil bucket contact... but maybe.
Rear shocks are bilstein 5100s, they are supposed to be good for +2" but they are maxed out.

I still have to finish wiring the second battery, I have only been working on this for about 3 years, and hard mount the fridge.
All must be done this saturday/sunday we leave for New Mexico on the 22nd.

Last edited:

MNCarl

The Moose
Truck is looking good !
Front end clank.....
Over the years , I have had two separate front end noises / clunks / clanks.
1. The front sway bar bushing mounts , there are two big bolts for each side , one side had loose bolts.
2. Front drivers side body mount , I loosened the body mount bolt, then sprayed with white lithium grease, then re-tightened the body mount bolt.
It was a pain in the but trying to figure out these noises , crawling around under my truck , trying this and that.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Truck is looking good !
Front end clank.....
Over the years , I have had two separate front end noises / clunks / clanks.
1. The front sway bar bushing mounts , there are two big bolts for each side , one side had loose bolts.
2. Front drivers side body mount , I loosened the body mount bolt, then sprayed with white lithium grease, then re-tightened the body mount bolt.
It was a pain in the but trying to figure out these noises , crawling around under my truck , trying this and that.

yea, i went down this road once before and eventually took it to the shop. They fed me a line about it being something to do with my brakes not being adjusted correctly. i didnt believe that then, dont believe it now, but for $65 dollars the noise went away.
My sway bar bushings are good, my shocks are good/tight.

Ill be under, in and over this thing all day saturday and sunday. I hope I find something. Or maybe the HD springs just need to settle.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Bed lights wired before New Mexico.
I neglected to take a proper picture when everything was packed and looking good.
17972271_325502964531984_4312706245419550757_o.jpg

top of the Rio Grande Gorge above John Dunn Bridge. Taos NM
18342482_334972403585040_2105767858196010738_n.jpg

Milk Way photographed from Taos
18402096_1880807598844024_946647011085115202_o.jpg

The truck made the 3k + mile trip without an issue.
We spent 2 days in Chaco Canyon.

18301487_1879622995629151_6768998416528207325_n.jpg

On our 4th night our 16 month old started to run a fever. She has never been sick before. We were letting her sleep, she was drinking plenty of water, was only mildly fussy but her fever continued to rise. It was about 7pm when I decided it was time to seek medical attention. While my wife and I were trying to figure out where to go (Chaco is hours from anything) our Daughter had a seizure. That escalated things, we rushed to the camp host and had them radio 911. My wife and daughter were taken by ambulance to Farmington where we received what is in my opinion the finest medical care I have ever seen.
My wife says I arrived less than 20 minutes behind them, which I find very hard to believe. The Chaco camp host told me not to worry about camp that they would take care of it. At the time I did not believe I would ever be coming back to Chaco and was imagining myself spending days in the Hospital while my precious little girl fought for her life with what I just knew was some disease the doctor would have a hard time explaining. The oz tent was thrown into the coffin, all the bedding into the cab, everything else I threw into the bed of the truck.

When I got to the hospital they were checking her for a UTI, giving her medicine and telling my wife that seizures from fever in infants isn't uncommon and most of the time does not harm the child. In the back of my I vaguely remembered this from first aid training but at the time I was still convinced I was living through the end of my world as I knew it.

We were treated and left the hospital just before 4am. We got a nice hotel room and slept past breakfast.
The next evening her fever started to rise again so we went back to the hospital. I had decided to stay another night in the hotel room in case this happened, and because our next camp site would have been another 45 minutes from anything.
Second night, same doctor this time they did blood work (the UTI test came back negative) the Doctor said it was a virus, it had to run its course and there was really nothing to do, and if the fever was the only symptom not much to worry about.
We decided to go on to Taos and find another hotel room until our reservations at the earthship two days later.
After 4 days Iris is better, no more fever, and is back toddling around.
18194904_10154616944978014_6846470792138627006_n.jpg

The only non-medical issue we had was with my dual battery wiring. I could tell the fridge was struggling and suspected low voltage. I found one of my crimp jobs was bad and moved the fridge into the cab and used the always on plug in the dash. I bought pre-bade wires to replace everything but the long 2 gauge I made running from the hood to the bed. I am going to replace/upgrade all the wires and cut off the ends of the long cable and upgrade the ends + do a better job crimping and add some soldering. I'm also going to move the winch controller under the hood and put my 4 ironman halogens on the front.

Does anyone know the part number for the ARB side steps with side rails? The ones that are airbag complaint, not the heavier duty rock slider ones? I got a quote of just over a grand and I dont think thats right. ARB USA lists both for the 100 series they are in the 800 and 300 dollar park for the two different options. I would be all over the side steps and rails if I could get them in the few hundred dollar range. I am going to have to do something to make it easier to get in the coffin up top. That extra 1.5" makes using it a chore.

Last edited:

E.J.

Explorer
Looks like a beautiful trip. Sorry you had to deal with the scary kid medical stuff, she's a tough one!

justbecause

perpetually lost
That last post did have pictures? I thought?
anyway, there are some pictures heremy wife posted.

this one is still my favorite.

18402096_1880807598844024_946647011085115202_o.jpg

I finally got the yeti 400 lithium and boulder 100 from Goal Zero that I have wanted for years. The solar panel is a lot bigger than I expected. I do not know where to put it, where to carry it. I didn't want to mount it to the roof because I try to park in the shade.... but that is looking like my only option.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to transport and protect this big dude?

justbecause

perpetually lost
obviously I still have some issues hosting pictures...

After reading about a accident where a girl was trapped in her harness and drowned I've decided to buy a glass breaker/seat belt cutter tool.

I know someone in this forum has mounted one in a frontier but now I can't find the post. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mounting location that can be accessed by driver and passenger?

E.J.

Explorer
IMG_20150614_173532823_HDR.jpg

I put mine up here, it's pretty easy to pop out the map light console to get access to the back of the headliner.

justbecause

perpetually lost
That cover doesn't pull off easier than the tool comes out of the mount? That was my first thought but i was worried about how securely it would be mounted. I also am eventually going to hook up my lights and I think the rocker switches will have to go there unless I 86 the factory radio and get something smaller and free up some room on the dash.....

E.J.

Explorer
The cover takes some effort to remove, about the same as pulling the trim from around the stereo - you're not going to ever accidentally pull it down. I installed my life hammer mount with bolts and big fender washers on the back side of the headliner, it's pretty solid up there.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The cover takes some effort to remove, about the same as pulling the trim from around the stereo - you're not going to ever accidentally pull it down. I installed my life hammer mount with bolts and big fender washers on the back side of the headliner, it's pretty solid up there.

That's really good to know. I was planning on putting one up there as well. In that spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles