2011 frontier

justbecause

perpetually lost
this is my new ride.
I lost the transmission in my beautiful trooper. :(

10301593_10202922113266484_2148663473413257450_n.jpg

I have a set of 5100s in the mail that will be here Wednesday, I hope to get them set up this weekend. I havnt decided if I am going to try to do it myself, or take them to a shop and let them do the spring compressing.
I intend to set them at 1" lift in the front. I havnt decided what to do in the rear yet.
I have to get my ARB freezer wired in, I'll pull the back driver seat out and mount the fridge over the stock subwoofer.

I need to run power to the back so I can use my invertor. Eventually I'll figure out a way to keep the freezer dry in the trailer and run power and a second battery to it.

After shocks the next to do item is get a cross bar on the ladder rack so I can mount my awning. I looked at mounting it to the factory "roof rack" but I dont think that will work, its too oddly shaped.

The only major item I want "need" is a front bumper, my options are pretty limited and expensive.
I like having sliders for the insurance factor, if I get a set it will probably be trail gear do it yourself weld ons, we run those on my wifes rodeo, we have never used them, but they are there if we ever have an accident.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Congratulations on the frontier. My last vehicle was a Nissan frontier NISMO edition. Love it and still miss it. Best truck I have ever own. Took me everywhere.

justbecause

perpetually lost
last weekends trip.
10492546_10203105327286720_4645398669032741282_n.jpg

the 5100s are great shocks. I have the front set to +1".
I think I am going to get a 3leaf spring pack in the rear to replace the overload spring. the trailer isnt heavy, but the factory springs dont handle the weight well. and I am currently shopping for a topper, so I will need help for that extra weight.

I might have to get a new set of front springs to match height, but first I will see how everything works with the 5100s set to +2"

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great looking truck, and that trailer is pretty sweet too! Sorry to hear about your Trooper. I love my Fronty. It just does what I ask, no fuss. Having that factory locker is awesome too. I'm amazed at the places it will go.

I like your mod plans, it all sounds pretty good. I have a few suggestions.

As far as a bumper, ARB is probably your best bet. Shrockworks is great, but the wait times are horrendous. There aren't many other real options unfortunately. Rugged Rocks will sell you TJM and Ironman bumpers, but I really doubt they'll fit. They're designed to fit the ROTW Navaras, which are pretty different as far as mounting a bumper goes. I believe Calmini makes bumpers, but I think they are just the prerunner style.

There's a few options for suspension. The 3 leaf pack will give you extra load capacity and height at a good price. Full replacement packs are awesome, but they are quite expensive. For the front, you're actually in a good position to put together a good quality but low cost setup. You could set the 5100's to 2", but I've been told that they make the front ride like garbage at that setting. What you can do is get a set of OME springs to put on the Bilsteins. They're inexpensive, at only $167 (ala Nisstec). If you get the 607's (the lighter duty ones) and set the 5100's to .5", you should get something around 2.5". Thanks to the higher spring rate of the OME coils, they will add more lift when moving the perch on the Bilsteins than stock springs would. Throw a bumper on there, and I'd bet you'd be sitting right around 2" in the front.

Hope this helps and good luck!

justbecause

perpetually lost
I like, on paper, how much protection I get with the shockwork radiator skid.
calmini has a few options, i dont really like any of them.

I read some people who say +2 will ride bad, and some people say thats where they have it and its fine. I dont mind playing with it now that I know how to assemble/disassemble the struts.

I am hunting hard for a top, I have in my mind something really similar to what the x-overland crew did to their taco. In a perfect world I would have a tool box on the driver side, aluminum lift gate door type, and a sliding glass on the passenger (for the dog)
at that point I am not sure if I would want the fridge behind the driver seat so it is accessible, or in the bed, out of the way. I am leaning towards in cab. Either way I need to get that thing wired. I am tired of it sitting on the back porch.
I also need to run power out the back and get a plug for a second batter in the trailer.

We are planning to go to NM over Christmas, the second battery would be very nice so we can run an electric blanket in the tent.

right now, everything mod wise is taking a back seat to the topper. Then I'll address the suspension. cheap sliders will come before a bumper, the fridge I can do just when I find the time/proper motivation, I shouldnt need to buy anything else to make it work -fingers crossed-

I plan on having this truck for a very very long time. I need to spend this weekend changing fluids. I'm at 64k on as far as I know original ATF. Oil is due, and the manual says to do the brake and PS fluid.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Not sure if you're interested, but I have also have a white pro-4x, and I have a Leer camper shell that I am considering selling. It's got full windoors both passenger and driver, and it has yakima tracks professionally installed. Full carpet interior, and LED 3rd break light and interior lights. I'm located in NC. Let me know if you're interested, and I can get some pics up for you. If not, no biggy.

-Craig

justbecause

perpetually lost
I would be interested.

if you have any pictures and a price in mind let me know. zrheard at gmail

thanks Craig.

-zack.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I like, on paper, how much protection I get with the shockwork radiator skid.
calmini has a few options, i dont really like any of them.

I read some people who say +2 will ride bad, and some people say thats where they have it and its fine. I dont mind playing with it now that I know how to assemble/disassemble the struts.

I am hunting hard for a top, I have in my mind something really similar to what the x-overland crew did to their taco. In a perfect world I would have a tool box on the driver side, aluminum lift gate door type, and a sliding glass on the passenger (for the dog)
at that point I am not sure if I would want the fridge behind the driver seat so it is accessible, or in the bed, out of the way. I am leaning towards in cab. Either way I need to get that thing wired. I am tired of it sitting on the back porch.
I also need to run power out the back and get a plug for a second batter in the trailer.

We are planning to go to NM over Christmas, the second battery would be very nice so we can run an electric blanket in the tent.

right now, everything mod wise is taking a back seat to the topper. Then I'll address the suspension. cheap sliders will come before a bumper, the fridge I can do just when I find the time/proper motivation, I shouldnt need to buy anything else to make it work -fingers crossed-

I plan on having this truck for a very very long time. I need to spend this weekend changing fluids. I'm at 64k on as far as I know original ATF. Oil is due, and the manual says to do the brake and PS fluid.

According to what I've read, that Shrock skid will work with the ARB.

No problem in that. Give it a shot, I'd be very interested to know the results.

Having a cap set up like that would be awesome. As for the fridge, unless you are constantly having people ride with you in the back, I see no reason why you shouldn't put the fridge in the cab.

justbecause

perpetually lost
deposit sent.
awning is off.
bed rack is off.

going to Florida Saturday to pick up a camper shell.

Fridge in the back seat wasnt working out for me. It will be in the bed soon.

The rear already sits low, I am going to order a 2 or 3 pack add a leaf asap. I'll move the clip on the front 5100s after I do the rear, if it looks like the 2" mark will be high enough. If the rear sits too high I'll have to pony up for TJM springs and move the 5100 perch down. And that means some caster bolts. It never ends.

ShinySideUp

I see all over this site how terrible the wait times are for the Shrockworks bumpers. But I will say that it was totally worth the wait, the craftmanship is outstanding! And, I went and actually met the guys at the shop to pick up my bumper from them, and they were awesome!

Mo4130

Adventurer
Save your self the agrivation and just get a new rear pack. You'll be much happier in the long run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles