Best way to connect body to frame

compactcamping

Explorer
In a application like this one, I like to use angle iron because it is easily clamped to the frame for welding and stays parallel to the top of the tube

protohyp

Adventurer
Just make sure the tabs are flush against the body and either use locktite or locking nuts. There's a lot of vibration back there and movement that can loosen bolts faster than you can imagine. Also if plywood is your subfloor use big washers as little ones can still bust through the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geodoc

Adventurer
Good idea Protohyp (I wasn't originally planning on using locking nuts, but I will do so now).

Anyhow, bought a 3' section of 2" angle iron. Guess I'll have to cut it up. Planning on putting many tabs on. Welder also arrived today, so build starts next week (after the Mother Earth News Fair, and after I grade a bunch of papers).

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I use nyloc nuts on mine. With the upper being steel framed, I have not experienced any coming loose in about 20K. Large washers on both sides help to, or if you can weld the bolt on one side helps to. Sounds like the adventure is about to begin. Lot of good ideas on this site, and everyone will help you, never hesitate to ask us questions. Not sure we can answer them, but you will get all the help you can ask for.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Thanks skersfan. I've read every build on the site, so I picked up a lot of info (and as you can see, I'm not hesitant to ask questions).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz