My new to me 3 man mini camper

xjman88

Adventurer
So i aquired a homemade 3 man camper trailer. Its built of tongue and groove pine with a metal roof. It measures 9Lx4Ft10ins wide. Its mounted on a 5x10 landscaping trailer. I used it over memorial weekend on 225 mile trip in the backcountry. It has room in the front for 4, 5 gallon fuel or water cans. Tows great behind the zj. Im lookin for a little more ground clearance and bigger tires. Any ideas? Thanks. Heres a few pics. IMAG0116.jpgIMAG0117.jpgIMAG0118.jpg

xjman88

Adventurer
Its in need of a little TLC like sanding and painting on the trailer frame and stain or paint on the camper itself.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You can get stiffer leaf springs on it, and bigger tires, so long as they clear the fenders. You get buy better springs at any store that sells that type of trailer and even some farm stores. Or you can go redneck and take some off a heavy duty truck and rebuild the suspension.

How much does that thing weigh anyways?

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
Just needs flower boxes under the windows and a hound dog. I like it because it shoots down the notion that we have to have the fancy high-dollar, look-what-I-got vibe. Big tires will add to the look and you'll get more ground clearance to boot. A little paint, a few repairs and you've got a functional camper that doesn't owe you much (no payments while sitting somewhere unused in the wintertime.)

geordie4x4

Observer
OMG a wood cabin on wheels, that is strange but also quite cool.

Rocking chair on the porch and a wood stove inside?

I would see if you can lift it by swapping the axle to under the leaf springs if it is mounted on top. I did that with a boat trailer, simply by un-bolting the U bolts, took the axle out, flipped it over re-installed under the springs and bolted it up. Gave about 2" lift. Enough to fit a little bigger tyres.

salve7

Adventurer
Looks familiar...
u3e6ahaj.jpg

I love it!

xjman88

Adventurer
Thanks for all the kind words so far. My dad gave it to me after he built another one similar but on a 5x8 trailer. That one is awesome. He does woodworking as a hobby. Im gonna check out my local Tractor supply and see what they have available. Stay tuned......

geordie4x4

Observer
Make sure you have a good look how the springs and axle are mounted. You might have 2" lift for free by going spring over axle.

xjman88

Adventurer
I took a look at the axle on the trailer. It is spring under so i see an axle flip happening very soon. It also has the 5 on
4 1/2 bolt pattern so im gonna find some matching jeep wheels and prob a 30 in tire. Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke