Vintage Avion C11 Project

skindeepfx

Greetings everyone

We just purchased a new to us 1968 Avion C11 Truck Camper
IMG_20140425_080006.jpg

The camper came to us already empty with not much original interior , so a perfect donor for a complete upgrade and new start.

The overall goal is to be equally comfortable on reg campgrounds as well as long weeks on the road to wherever it takes us.

stuff that i want to include
solar, wind power
decent battery bank,
outside tented living space , slide out kitchen, outside shower, probably Engel fridge
All LED lights inside and out
mostly 12 volt powered but also reg shore power
simple but efficient water system

currently i have removed everything, inside skin, wires, old foam insulation, and starting to rebuild ..... sealed all seams from the inside as as well as resealed the outside
in the process of rebuilding the passenger side wing and reinforcing the box
20140526_131827.jpg

looking forward in sharing this adventure

Cheers

Michael

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had a chance to buy one in near new condition mounted on a 1966 GMC 3/4 ton 292 straight six with 4-speed. Just didn't have the buckeroos at the time.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I'll be following your project. It looks like a classic base upon which to start. Upon what truck will this 11 foot camper reside?
regards, as always, jefe

skindeepfx

i thought i will post some build updates and a few thoughts

the bed orientation is changed from East/West to North/ South . The extension will house some drawers and is able to flip up to give room for the underneath sitting area/ slide/fold out bed
The steps double function as sating and as a way to get into the upstairs

In the front upstairs the aluminum skin cabinets are taking shape as well, they are crafted out of the old interior skin and are proudly wearing the scars of 40 plus years :)
20140611_100832.jpg
20140611_100912.jpg
20140620_152728.jpg
20140620_152643.jpg

as i am waiting to get the electric parts in i am contemplating to build the solar system totally separate to the camper - sort of a solar cart that would travel on a front hitch- and be able to provide power wherever needed

any thoughts anyone ????

Attachments

• 20140611_100912.jpg
    20140611_100912.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 20140611_100832.jpg
    20140611_100832.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 20140620_152643.jpg
    20140620_152643.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 20140620_152728.jpg
    20140620_152728.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:

skindeepfx

Currently she sits on a pretty standard - besides an little help in the suspension- Dodge 2001 2500 gas 8 foot bed
will wait until the right Diesel 4x4 truck manifests, hopefully soon.... HA

Cheers

skindeepfx

back at it

i am back working at the project
work ad a strong hold of me in the pst few months

anyway
re wiring as begun, all new marker and tail lights- LED's

low voltage outside lights are in process
fridge and solar is chosen but not ordered

i finished the bed overhang just wiring needed for the 4 12 volt outlets
made the decision to paint the outside with truck bed liner material , hopefully this will make it watertight :)
this will happen once the outside lights are on and the roof rack for the solar panels is up

will keep posting updates as i go along in the next few weeks

Cheers for now

arlon

Adventurer
Seen a few of those and always thought they would be a really fun project if you had the right truck.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
made the decision to paint the outside with truck bed liner material , hopefully this will make it watertight

Not on site, not looking at what you're looking at, never worked on a Avion...Still that's a drastic,ugly, difficult to undo step. "usually" the leaks in similarly constructed airstreams are from the vents. Once water gets in it shows up in places well removed from the vent so mold behind cabinets often is caused by a leaky vent several feet away. At least replace/reseal ALL vents & skin penetrations before taking the coating route. Since the interior is stripped a hose & several hours would tell you where your leaks are & maybe a spot or two can be fixed with Sika or epoxy - or maybe just the flatter upper joints are bad so just a upper roof coating would be enough...

Avions are beautiful in a straightforward 1954 Cessna 140 sort of way...ALL that goes away with the bed liner coating...Plus consider the response from EVERY admirer of these aluminum skinned antique beauties, my guess is you'll get awfully tired of blowing them off...my .02.Moe

skindeepfx

Not on site, not looking at what you're looking at, never worked on a Avion...Still that's a drastic,ugly, difficult to undo step. "usually" the leaks in similarly constructed airstreams are from the vents. Once water gets in it shows up in places well removed from the vent so mold behind cabinets often is caused by a leaky vent several feet away. At least replace/reseal ALL vents & skin penetrations before taking the coating route. Since the interior is stripped a hose & several hours would tell you where your leaks are & maybe a spot or two can be fixed with Sika or epoxy - or maybe just the flatter upper joints are bad so just a upper roof coating would be enough...

Avions are beautiful in a straightforward 1954 Cessna 140 sort of way...ALL that goes away with the bed liner coating...Plus consider the response from EVERY admirer of these aluminum skinned antique beauties, my guess is you'll get awfully tired of blowing them off...my .02.Moe

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And luckily i am in no need of defending myself , as I am very aware what i have . This unit is actually number 14 ever build of the C11 series . Owned arirtreams and avions before and i have seen full rivet lines leak. I admire my co readers and active members of the thread mentioned above on Rv.net that fully restore one to original conditions.
This unit had a rough life ,came to me almost fully gutted and besides a molded interior, insulation and multiple layers of replaced aluminum outside skin.
This build will be a no more than 7000.00 $, including the purchase and transporting costs home , light weight, mostly up-cycled materials, hop in and go anywhere, more power producing than using ,minimalistic, low center of gravity,yet fully functional, open floor plan.

Onward

Michael

skindeepfx

Greetings everyone
I just thought i give you an update on the wiring

DC system:
Power distribution area is in process
Main lights are in
Light up walls are started
Reading lights are in
main ceiling and light up walls can be controlled from the door area and from the bed area
reading lights only from bed

Most other wires for the water pump , fridge and outside outlets and slide out kitchen are in

AC System:
wires are in but not hooked up yet

Waiting on the solar wires to integrate into the walls

20141221_172441_zps99683a71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/skindeepfx/media/20141221_172744_zpsac906fb1.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s647/skindeepfx/20141221_172744_zpsac906fb1.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
[URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/skindeepfx/media/20141221_172405_zps0cba30c4.jpg.html]

[IMG]http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s647/skindeepfx/20141221_172405_zps0cba30c4.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
20141221_160648_zps6bc4dbc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Outside lights is a separate solar set up and is working. There are four of them , two on the passenger side , one over the door and one over the shore power hook up on the driver side

enjoy the holidays
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke