"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Congratulations. That is really a cool accomplishment. Do you get to choose a call sign, 'cause if you could get "Maverick" that would be the bomb.

Sent from the Mountains

Thanks!

Haha unfortunately no. Uncle Sam picks something for us.

Congrats man! Mine is probably coming due to expire soon lol is it good for 10yrs or 15? I can't remember.

Thanks! Excited to put it to use.

What books or websites did you use to study for technician. I'd like to get mine.

I used hamstudy.org and the ham test prep app for Android.

Yea it was fun!

Blew and axle seal...but got it fixed due to awesome friends in the area in 48 hours. Was back in the Maze before long.

UTBDR is cool! You'll want to by pass the Rosegarden hill spot but that's it really.

TOTW is getting tore the hell up. Even since i ran it in Oct its more tore up. Getting bad.

2050 miles, 1157 photos. Was good time!

Good man!

I need to get my General..but haven't found the need until i get a HiFi radio..

More money indeed. I have 4 Ham radios how ha and gadgets for them..antennas...many things.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Still super bummed I couldn't go. Can't wait to read the trip report.

Thanks man. It was cool to learn and get introduced to it all. Pretty jazzed to get a mobile unit for Lola. Already pretty sure of the setup I'm getting. Plus it will be a cool way for my dad and I to spend a little time together. He's been a ham operator since the 70s. He's got an Extra class license and everything.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Got a couple things done over the last few days. First off, I got my diff cover installed! As many people have proven, the M226 housing is actually very stout and can stand up to an awful lot of abuse. So much so that almost no one makes a full skid for the diff, just tougher diff covers. So, being the ARB fanboy that I am, opted for the ARB diff cover. Not only because it's made by ARB, but because the red perfectly matches the red accents on my truck. :D

Things didn't go exactly to plan, but I got it worked out and all is well. It's (theoretically) a very easy swap.

YA4Y4Eeh.jpg

First, pull the factory drain plug and completely drain the diff.

zDXFSN4h.jpg

Once all the oil has drained, it's time to unbolt the parking brake from this bracket.

h4fzMkbh.jpg

Next up, pull the cover off. Mine had been glued on with RTV, so I had to use a good amount of force to pry the cover off. Once it did, I had a look at the gears and was very satisfied to find everything in great shape.

8kqqq5Yh.jpg

Next, you're supposed to figure out the oil level and mark the dipstick. If I had to do this again, I'd skip this step. It's kind of pointless, because to be honest the dipstick is more or less completely useless. It's very hard to tell where the oil is along it. A little research told me the diff with the ARB cover should take slightly over 2 quarts, which is what I eventually did in the end.

Next up, take the diff cover and the gasket and put it on the diff.

87UOin4h.jpg

JQ4a5bah.jpg

I started by hand-tightening the bolts in place. Then I put on the included parking brake bracket. Or at least I tried to. Apparently none of the Aussie trucks come with a factory e-locker, so the bracket is too large and runs into the bracket that holds the plug for the e-locker. You can bend the bracket with the plug a little bit to keep it out of the way, but I didn't want to bend it too much. So instead I shaved enough off the corner of the bracket so it would clear.

7NLeodNh.jpg

Then, I got all the bolts hand-tightened. Next step was to install and tighten the drain plug. I was about to do that when I realized I didn't have the right Allen key to tighten it! Crap. My truck was completely immobile and my wife was at work. So I cleaned my hands, grabbed the drain plug, and walked to the closest hardware store to get the right tool. After that little misadventure, I was back at it. I got the drain plug put in (bit of a pain because of the ridiculously powerful magnet at the end) and started to torque the cover bolts.

YiIH9euh.jpg

I couldn't find an official torque spec. Per the manual, the OE cover should be set to 31 ft-lbs. ARB says their Dana 50 and Dana 60 covers should be set to 45 ft-lbs. So I split the difference and opted for 40 ft-lbs. Using my brand new torque wrench, I got all but the last one tightened when it all went wrong. Apparently the bolt I chose for the passenger side parking brake bracket hole wasn't up to the job. I was torquing when there was a sudden snap and it was much easier to turn.

Crap.

I pulled the wrench away and sure enough, the head of the bolt came with it. Since everything else was buttoned up, I filled it with fluid and went for a very short test drive to check for leaks. Luckily, even without the one bolt, it didn't leak at all. Then I went for a longer test drive and still no leaks. Eventually I drove it for about 30 minutes at fast speeds, trying to warm the oil up and see if it would leak. It never did. So all was well, but I had to wait until Sunday before I could get a friend with a bolt extractor kit to come out and give me a hand with it.

kYUsr0Ch.jpg

Other than that major SNAFU, it was installed! It looks great on the truck, and when you're looking from a distance you can see the little splash of red peeking out from under there. It looks really good and it's definitely up to being bashed about.

On Sunday, my friend came over with a few things so we could get a few things done. First was getting the broken bolt extracted and finding a new one. Using a Snap-On bolt extraction kit, I was able to pull the old bolt out without any trouble. Then I pulled the adjacent bolt out and we headed to the hardware store in my friend's truck.

Once there, we had a devil of a time finding a matching bolt. We looked all over for a metric bolt to fit, but it ended up being a 5/16" that was perfect. Weird, but I guess it is a Dana axle so it kind of makes sense. I bought four just in case. We got back and installed the bolts without a hitch.

Next up was replacing the spherical bearings in my Radflos. I've had them for about two years now, and they were starting to get very clunky. I was also noticing a bit of a loose feeling in my steering. To fix it, I decided the first thing to try was the spherical bearings and the misalignment spacers for the bottom. After a call to Nisstec, they told me the upper bearings almost never get worn out, whereas the lowers go out very fast. So I ordered a set for the bottoms.

The first step in replacing them, obviously, is to pull the coilovers out.

2huKhi0h.jpg

Once they were on the bench, I took the misalignment spacers out and took time to hit the bearings with some PB Blaster to loosen things up and help clean out the grime.

HQLbBs7h.jpg

They were looking pretty rough.

lSBhrzuh.jpg

Once I had cleaned them enough, we pulled out the two snap rings.

KX04Tuvh.jpg

Then it's a very simple matter of pressing the old bearings out. You can probably use an old c-clamp, but my bench vise and a couple of appropriately-sized sockets made short work of this job.

xVlPtZ7h.jpg

The old ones were really ugly. They had a ton of play and a ton of corrosion. One of them even had a crack in it! Good thing I was getting them replaced.

S7mcovjh.jpg

Here's what the new ones look like.

eVsvTsJh.jpg

During this time, I took the opportunity to clean up the coilovers and smooth out the mating surface for the bearings.

ecVupxFh.jpg

Then I greased the hell out of the bearings and the mating surface inside the Radflos. Once they were ready, I used the same procedure to press in the new bearings. After they were in, I reinstalled the snap rings and all was done!

txsyLZSh.jpg

With the bearings in, we reinstalled the Radflos, rotated my tires, and went for a test drive. All I can say is, what a difference! Wow! Almost no excess noise now, and the steering is definitely tighter. Very happy I took the time to get these swapped out.

Overall, it was an exciting couple of days and I was able to get a good amount done. Very happy with everything all things considered.

MNCarl

The Moose
I C .....Its all clear to me now.
Good Job ... um well except for the snapped bolt.
So do you just buy the bearings for the coilovers from Radflo? or Nisstec ?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I C .....Its all clear to me now.
Good Job ... um well except for the snapped bolt.
So do you just buy the bearings for the coilovers from Radflo? or Nisstec ?

Thanks! Glad to help.

I ordered from Nisstec. Bearings were $15/each and the misalignment spacers were $15/set. So overall it was about $60. Not too bad considering the improvement.

My ARB cover arrived today. Can't believe how heavy and well made it is.

Sent from the Mountains

Oh hell yeah. It's built ridiculously well. Rocks are no match for this thing. Can't wait to see pics of it on your rig!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Sounds like a lot of fun! Still super bummed I couldn't go. Can't wait to read the trip report.

Thanks man. It was cool to learn and get introduced to it all. Pretty jazzed to get a mobile unit for Lola. Already pretty sure of the setup I'm getting. Plus it will be a cool way for my dad and I to spend a little time together. He's been a ham operator since the 70s. He's got an Extra class license and everything.

Yea i have tons of photos..still gotta finish my report from my oct trip ha

My dad is an Extra. He is nuts over this ****. Built his own repeater tower. Into the digital stuff and programming side of it. We went with DSTAR radios. Like them alot.

We have some Analog repeaters here that are linked up and you can hit one from billings. So you can talk all the way to Casper from Billings with a Ham radio :cool:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Had the alternator give up the ghost this weekend, wasn't quite sure what the drain on it was but narrowed it down to a bad alternator. Just put the order in to Rugged Rocks for their DC Power180A alternator and big 3 wiring kit. Should be here sometime next week. Should be covered for a long while. Bonus, it works with the VK as well :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
All the cool kids have the red ARB M226 diff cover. That is all.

:)

Indeed! I think I was already a trendsetter though haha. You should have seen how quickly everyone bought V8 Pathy CVs once I had my new diff installed!

Yea i have tons of photos..still gotta finish my report from my oct trip ha

My dad is an Extra. He is nuts over this ****. Built his own repeater tower. Into the digital stuff and programming side of it. We went with DSTAR radios. Like them alot.

We have some Analog repeaters here that are linked up and you can hit one from billings. So you can talk all the way to Casper from Billings with a Ham radio :cool:

Very cool! Sounds like something I'd be interested in too.

Right now I'm looking at the Yaesu FT-7900R or the FTM-100DR. Or maybe the Icom IC-2730A. Not sure if I need digital or not. The FTM-100 and IC-2730 have a lot of extra features, but I'm not sure if I'd really use any of them. APRS would be nice, but I could always go with a dedicated APRS unit if I really wanted it. Don't care about Bluetooth. What do you think?

That's pretty cool, I'd have to try them out!

Awesome!

Had the alternator give up the ghost this weekend, wasn't quite sure what the drain on it was but narrowed it down to a bad alternator. Just put the order in to Rugged Rocks for their DC Power180A alternator and big 3 wiring kit. Should be here sometime next week. Should be covered for a long while. Bonus, it works with the VK as well :)

Let me know how that goes. I'm pretty interested in the RR alternators. They look pretty cool, and I definitely wouldn't mind 180A output.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Let me know how that goes. I'm pretty interested in the RR alternators. They look pretty cool, and I definitely wouldn't mind 180A output.

For sure. It should be here by mid end of week. Also ordered the Big 3 kit which should be a nice piece of mind. I thought a 250 or 270A alternator would be cool but the cost is a little more than I wanted to shell out. If I had a huge stereo or was running a trophy truck, we'll then maybe so. The Denzo Hairpin design allows for more power at low RPMs, 130A @ idle and 180A @ 3000rpm

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/univ...kit-250a-by-dc-power-engineering-p-60730.html

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Very cool! Sounds like something I'd be interested in too.

Right now I'm looking at the Yaesu FT-7900R or the FTM-100DR. Or maybe the Icom IC-2730A. Not sure if I need digital or not. The FTM-100 and IC-2730 have a lot of extra features, but I'm not sure if I'd really use any of them. APRS would be nice, but I could always go with a dedicated APRS unit if I really wanted it. Don't care about Bluetooth. What do you think?

That's pretty cool, I'd have to try them out!

Well if you get digital..id skip the Yaesu. There aren't any Fusion Repeaters near us. Fusion is Yaesu's verson of digital.

Right not HAM radios are in a bit of a digital war like HD vs BluRay and such. Icoms is DSTAR, Yaesu's is Fusion, Motorola has two, PL20 and DMR.

All are pretty much the same, except you can't cross talk. So a Fusion Radio doesn't talk to DSTAR.

Actually, my dads repeater is a Fusion/DSTAR/DMR/FM. So i guess you'd have one..

DMR and DSTAR seem to be becoming more normal all the time. There is a DSTAR Repeater in Billings, Gillete and my Dads(his isn't Icom approved but it is there). Digital does a ton of cool stuff. basically internet repeaters. You can tun the repeater from your radio to reflectors and talk to people across the world. My dad and i do this often 3000+miles apart.

So kinda up to you..if you want to play with HAM stuff more id say go for a digital radio. If you just want it for Truck coms and don't really care..don't spend the money.

APRS wise..im a fan of running a dedicated rig, which you can make out of a cheap Boefeng for like 150 bucks total. Just wire it into the truck, get a nice external antenna for it and you're good. Put it under a seat or bend the rear one. Down side is you have to run two ham antennas..but not a big deal i think. You have a large roof :D

Either way, you should totally get an APRS setup ASAP. It is very handy for what you do and for communicating with..well anyone really out in the back country via email or text messages.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
For sure. It should be here by mid end of week. Also ordered the Big 3 kit which should be a nice piece of mind. I thought a 250 or 270A alternator would be cool but the cost is a little more than I wanted to shell out. If I had a huge stereo or was running a trophy truck, we'll then maybe so. The Denzo Hairpin design allows for more power at low RPMs, 130A @ idle and 180A @ 3000rpm

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/univ...kit-250a-by-dc-power-engineering-p-60730.html

That sounds pretty awesome.

Well if you get digital..id skip the Yaesu. There aren't any Fusion Repeaters near us. Fusion is Yaesu's verson of digital.

Right not HAM radios are in a bit of a digital war like HD vs BluRay and such. Icoms is DSTAR, Yaesu's is Fusion, Motorola has two, PL20 and DMR.

All are pretty much the same, except you can't cross talk. So a Fusion Radio doesn't talk to DSTAR.

Actually, my dads repeater is a Fusion/DSTAR/DMR/FM. So i guess you'd have one..

DMR and DSTAR seem to be becoming more normal all the time. There is a DSTAR Repeater in Billings, Gillete and my Dads(his isn't Icom approved but it is there). Digital does a ton of cool stuff. basically internet repeaters. You can tun the repeater from your radio to reflectors and talk to people across the world. My dad and i do this often 3000+miles apart.

So kinda up to you..if you want to play with HAM stuff more id say go for a digital radio. If you just want it for Truck coms and don't really care..don't spend the money.

APRS wise..im a fan of running a dedicated rig, which you can make out of a cheap Boefeng for like 150 bucks total. Just wire it into the truck, get a nice external antenna for it and you're good. Put it under a seat or bend the rear one. Down side is you have to run two ham antennas..but not a big deal i think. You have a large roof :D

Either way, you should totally get an APRS setup ASAP. It is very handy for what you do and for communicating with..well anyone really out in the back country via email or text messages.

For now I want truck comms, but later on I'll probably get more into it and venture into digital. For now though it will probably just be for the truck, and right now I can't justify the cost difference to get into digital. I'll probably end up with the FT-7900R. For $250 it's tough to beat, and it's got a lot of great reviews.

The APRS rig is coming soon though. I don't mind the extra antenna, and the utility of the setup is huge.

Appreciate the informative installation write-ups! Diff cover looks great!

Thanks Bijan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior