"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Vent Control Valve Breather and Evap System Replacement

I recently did a minor mod that I really wouldn't recommend worrying about unless you don't already have this check engine code or you're as anal about having the SES light on as I am.

For over a year I've been throwing the P1446 code for a faulty evap vent control valve. This valve is attached to the evap vent canister and occasionally runs a self-test to see if the system is air tight and still working properly. Unfortunately, the brilliant designers at Nissan decided that they'd run the vent hose to inside the frame, without a filter on the end. The frame isn't air tight, and usually gets packed full of dust and mud. As such, the vent control valve will aspirate dust. If you offroad at all, it breathes in an awful lot. Like a ton. When the valve gets full of dust, it's unable to seal and throws any number of different evap system codes. Aside from the code, it also caused my gas tank to not vent properly, so filling the tank with gas took ages. If it was a fast pump, it would shut off every 10 seconds and burp gas back at me.

The solution to this is a fairly simple one: build a breather with an extended hose to a cleaner location. However, I had been running around for ages on the system throwing a code, There's a couple ways to deal with this. If the code is new, you can order a new vent control valve and install it. If you take the time to clean out the canister with compressed air, you might just be able to get away with making the light go away. However, in a lot of cases the light comes back, generally because if the valve is packed full of dust, the canister is too. So after a short while the dust from the canister goes through the valve again and you've wasted $45. The other method is to replace the canister and the valve, which will cost about $250. Of course, you could ignore the SES light, but as I said, I'm anal about dash lights.

So I got on RockAuto, and ordered up a new canister and valve. Here in town, I bought 6 feet of 1/2" fuel line, a 1/2" inline fuel filter, a valve cover breather with an oiled filter, a couple connectors, and a small box of hose clamps.

LuX3m8ph.jpg

Here's the vent control valve (left, the tube with the hose barb and electrical connector) installed on the new canister.

io9N8I0h.jpg

First thing I did was jack up the truck and remove the driver's side rear tire.

gJW3LCuh.jpg

Next, I pulled the canister. It's kind of a pain, and unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the removal process. It may only be held on by a single 10mm bolt, but it has no less than three hoses and two electrical connections keeping it held to the truck. I started with the electrical connections, then I pulled the left and right rubber line. Easy enough, but what's next is kind of annoying. The rigid hose connection from the tank to the canister is held on by kind of a screwy connector. It requires you to press in a tab on either side of the hose while you pry the plastic connector up and away. It's a terrible design. Be sure not to break the bit of plastic with the little tabs, because it gets reused on the new canister.

The hose looks like this. Have a look at the o-ring and the plastic bit in there, because your might fall out and you won't know exactly how it goes back together. It didn't happen on mine, but we did it on a friend's Xterra and it did. Took us an hour to figure out how it all went back together.

qrnn8UYh.jpg

Here's where it attaches to, the big connection in the middle.

olfCb9mh.jpg

I used a cheap pair of needle nose pliers. I put them in the vise and bent the ends inward so they would clamp on the tabs while I pried up a bit with a screwdriver. Popped right off.

With that done, the canister is free. Yay!

My old one was pretty nasty. Once it was free, I had to move a few parts over. First was the white plastic clip with the tabs that held the center hose. I gently pried it off the factory canister and put it on the new one. Emphasis on gently. It's brittle and you don't want to break it.

9LuJYhbh.jpg

Next up was this connector. I pried the small tabs out of the way and pulled it up and off. It gave a little extra resistance, but eventually let go.

uJtbLs9h.jpg

m9S6zZSh.jpg

I cleaned everything off as best I could and moved it over to the new charcoal canister, which I think was actually an OEM part. Said Nissan on it and everything.

rVQYIzph.jpg

Here it is assembled.

0PF6BMSh.jpg

I then attached the 1/2" hose to the vent valve with the clamp. It's a tight fit, and I needed to use a little heat to warm up the rubber so it would go together. I then clamped the hose in place.

JbeP23hh.jpg

Putting the new canister back in place is really easy, way more so than taking the old one off. With all the connections back in place, I bolted the canister into it's new home, then routed the hose up behind the driver's side tail light.

V190aGQh.jpg

With the hose cable tied into place, I found a good location for the fuel filter, cut the hose, and clamped it into place. Sorry, forgot to snap a picture of this. I put the filter very close to the canister though, just inside the frame rail. It's just behind the frame on the left in this picture.

9jLRZMEh.jpg

Then, using the barbed connector, I put the new breather on the end and clamped it all down. I made sure the filter was as high up as I could get it. The top of the breather is a mm or two below the top of the bed rail, putting it as far away from dust and water as it can get.

ZwyX3Wph.jpg

Then I reinstalled the tail light and that was that! I cleared the code and it's been gone for over a week. Now I also have a proper fuel tank vent, so I can fill up at even the fastest pumps without issue.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
yep, well..sorta..Toyota is very...very odd about gear sets.

Usually its safe to say all 4x4 V6 trucks had 4.10s. It is a fact that ALL TRDs had 4.10s.

But..you can get 3.36 in some 4 banger trucks..or 3.90s in some prerunners...or some 4.30s in 4banger manual 4x4s..or even 4.56 in 4 banger autos...

AND some t4rs came with rare 4.88s..

All over the map.

Most though are 4.10s. Usually people have to check.

The double cab is nice. We used the cab a lot for our packing and i know i can improve that area of packing. I removed the rear seats which helped a lot. Will make a bracket for the fridge next time. Everything else packed up perfectly in the bed. even had a bit of room left. Yours is 5' too right? or is it 6'?

Ahh okay. Sounds a bit like the Nissans. We had gears from as high as 2.94s to as low as 3.69s, depending on the engine and tranny combo.

Yeah I love having a double cab. The extra space is fantastic. I can imagine you'd make packing a breeze if you took out the rear seats and set up a fridge bracket on one side. That would give you tons of great storage space.

Yep, mine's a 5 footer too. With the topper on mine though it gives me way more space than I'll ever use on a trip.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Ahh okay. Sounds a bit like the Nissans. We had gears from as high as 2.94s to as low as 3.69s, depending on the engine and tranny combo.

Yeah I love having a double cab. The extra space is fantastic. I can imagine you'd make packing a breeze if you took out the rear seats and set up a fridge bracket on one side. That would give you tons of great storage space.

Yep, mine's a 5 footer too. With the topper on mine though it gives me way more space than I'll ever use on a trip.

Yea it's easy enough to take the seats out. Gives me all kinds of custom storage ideas...

I thought about going the topper route. But im too into the RTT Lifestyle :p haha and no way in HELL will i ever put one on top of a topper.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yea it's easy enough to take the seats out. Gives me all kinds of custom storage ideas...

I thought about going the topper route. But im too into the RTT Lifestyle :p haha and no way in HELL will i ever put one on top of a topper.

I've seen some cool backseat storage systems. Be cool to see what you come up with.

Yeah the topper is great for dry storage. I love having that big area to store stuff in. But yeah, I agree. I don't think I'd do the RTT on top of the topper. That's a lot of weight way up high. That being said, BijanJames here on ExPo has a topper with an RTT, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble on the off-camber stuff. But you also take a fuel mileage hit and some of the fiberglass toppers have cracked before.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I've seen some cool backseat storage systems. Be cool to see what you come up with.

Yeah the topper is great for dry storage. I love having that big area to store stuff in. But yeah, I agree. I don't think I'd do the RTT on top of the topper. That's a lot of weight way up high. That being said, BijanJames here on ExPo has a topper with an RTT, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble on the off-camber stuff. But you also take a fuel mileage hit and some of the fiberglass toppers have cracked before.

I have wheeled enough with a RTT at a reasonable height to know i would flop my rig at the speeds i like to drive. If you go slow the off camber stuff is easy to manage. Its cornering on the fast roads that can get scary haha

I just can't go back to sleeping on the ground. Not worth it. haha

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have wheeled enough with a RTT at a reasonable height to know i would flop my rig at the speeds i like to drive. If you go slow the off camber stuff is easy to manage. Its cornering on the fast roads that can get scary haha

I just can't go back to sleeping on the ground. Not worth it. haha

Haha I know what you mean. I love the way Lola bombs down the dirt.

Yeah I used to own a RTT and I totally get it. For my purposes though I think the Oztent is a good compromise. Sometimes we like staying in the same spot a couple nights in a row. We've eliminated the cot now too and gone down to a really good air mattress. That move reduced the weight we carry by about 50lbs and shortened the setup time by a good amount.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Took a little drive this week out to the Pryor Mountains near Lovell to try to catch a pretty sunset. Got bogged down in a little too much snow on the way up, but the sunset was good nevertheless. Can't wait until the road clears up in a few weeks and we can make it up to the sites at the end. Already planning some early season visits.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Haha I know what you mean. I love the way Lola bombs down the dirt.

Yeah I used to own a RTT and I totally get it. For my purposes though I think the Oztent is a good compromise. Sometimes we like staying in the same spot a couple nights in a row. We've eliminated the cot now too and gone down to a really good air mattress. That move reduced the weight we carry by about 50lbs and shortened the setup time by a good amount.

yea i like your tent. If i went back to the ground i'd go that route for sure.

have you had it in really bad weather yet? like 12 hours of rain bad?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I've never had an issue or felt any uneasy-ness associated with having the rooftop tent of the Xterra. We get pretty off camber at times, and do run some tight and twisty mountain highways, and it's always felt rock solid. The RTT only weighs a couple hundred pounds, so it shouldn't really be enough weight in a proper "suspended" rig to make it tippy. It does, however, feel like you've hot a sail up there in windy on road situations. Nothing worse than driving a van mind you.

Sent from the Mountains

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I've never had an issue or felt any uneasy-ness associated with having the rooftop tent of the Xterra. We get pretty off camber at times, and do run some tight and twisty mountain highways, and it's always felt rock solid. The RTT only weighs a couple hundred pounds, so it shouldn't really be enough weight in a proper "suspended" rig to make it tippy. It does, however, feel like you've hot a sail up there in windy on road situations. Nothing worse than driving a van mind you.

Sent from the Mountains

Yea..well..i tend to go...fast

IMG_0123 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
IMG_0128 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

trust me. Driving like that with 125lbs up high..you FEEL it big time in the corners. The difference of lowering my tent was insanely noticeable.

Not saying it isn't possible as i wheeled with one fairly high for a few years. Im just sayin you reach a certain point where it just isn't safe. Like real go fast stuff. Not just the occasional fun blasting down a road at 30mph or so.

Which is how i drive now. So just changed it to suit my needs.

Used to be like this

SOSMeet-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Its pretty amazing how tippy it can feel. And yes totally agree with you about the wind!

sorry for the photo dump Tom..

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
yea i like your tent. If i went back to the ground i'd go that route for sure.

have you had it in really bad weather yet? like 12 hours of rain bad?

Yeah, we stayed on a friend's land outside of Sundance a couple years back. Rain, hail, 70mph wind gusts. Tent held up incredibly well. No water inside, and it stayed up with nothing even bending at all. Then when we were up in Canada we had 36 straight hours of fairly heavy rain. We got condensation inside, but no leaks. When we did Goose we had condensation too. The condensation is fairly easy to fix with a rain fly. If you add the fly it creates an insulating layer of air between the tent and outside. Then you don't have that big temperature difference between inside and outside, which is what causes the condensation in the first place.

Sent from the Mountains

Yea..well..i tend to go...fast

trust me. Driving like that with 125lbs up high..you FEEL it big time in the corners. The difference of lowering my tent was insanely noticeable.

Its pretty amazing how tippy it can feel. And yes totally agree with you about the wind!

sorry for the photo dump Tom..

Yeah I agree with Monte here. I often hit around 50 on some of the dirt backroads when I can, and having the weight up there at those speeds isn't the greatest. :smiley_drive:

No worries Monte :coffee:

Dmski

Adventurer
That evap issue is something I've read about but have yet to deal with. Is it a very common occurance or something that just eventually happens when being used offroad? Also liking the new sleep setup you were talking about.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice updates. I need to do the same thing with the evap canister on my truck. I also tend to get a loud whining noise from the fuel tank when the elevation is high and it's hot out. Supposedly there's a flapper/diaphragm somewhere in the fuel tank venting system that can't maintain the pressure so this might fix that too (I remember reading something about it a while ago).

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That evap issue is something I've read about but have yet to deal with. Is it a very common occurance or something that just eventually happens when being used offroad? Also liking the new sleep setup you were talking about.

It's very common with anyone doing dirt roads even. If you offroad, you're almost guaranteed to throw a code at some point. My friend's Xterra has it, and he hasn't really done a whole lot of wheeling. Some people don't get it for a while, others get it very quickly. It's a big topic over on ClubFrontier. I really recommend doing the breather no matter what though. It's fairly cheap and pretty easy. If you're going to do it before a light actually appears, take the time to blow out the canister with compressed air and try to get it as clean as possible. That should keep the system working as long as possible.

Thanks! Yeah the mattress we got was from Amazon. It's made by Lightspeed, and it's super cool. Packs nice and small, doesn't weigh much, and doesn't leak at all. Plus it does a good job holding a consistent temperature. They say it's because it doesn't use PVC in the construction, and I tend to believe them.

Nice updates. I need to do the same thing with the evap canister on my truck. I also tend to get a loud whining noise from the fuel tank when the elevation is high and it's hot out. Supposedly there's a flapper/diaphragm somewhere in the fuel tank venting system that can't maintain the pressure so this might fix that too (I remember reading something about it a while ago).

Yeah the evap systems are a pain in the butt. From now on I think it will be one of my first minor mods I do when I get a new vehicle. Diff breather and evap breather.

outback97

Adventurer

Lots o' dust here in UT... my '06 Xterra was throwing a P0448 code. I didn't replace anything, but did blow a whole lot of dust out of the valve and charcoal canister, and added a small filter near the stock hose location.

Parts links here.

Routing the hose behind the tail light is probably better... but so far this has been working great for me. Anything is better than sucking air in from the frame rail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier