2006 1st-Gen Tundra Doublecab Build

FJR Colorado

Explorer
slager: It looks like your shell is an ARE model?

If you can, try to purchase the specific aluminum "ladder rack" for your shell. The rails will have nice aluminum welds to the 3x struts/crossmembers.

My shell is a Unicover. They are in Iowa and couldn't ship me an integrated rack but could ship the 3x struts/crossmembers.

I purchased 1/4" aluminum angle iron to form the rails with stainless steel u-bolts at each union. It turned out fine; maybe even stronger than a welded unit. But the custom "ladder rack" for your specific shell would still be best.

PS- yes, on aluminum shells they are called "ladder racks"; they are designed for service people to carry light aluminum ladders and that's about it. Also work great for solar panels.

slager

slager: It looks like your shell is an ARE model?

If you can, try to purchase the specific aluminum "ladder rack" for your shell. The rails will have nice aluminum welds to the 3x struts/crossmembers.

My shell is a Unicover. They are in Iowa and couldn't ship me an integrated rack but could ship the 3x struts/crossmembers.

I purchased 1/4" aluminum angle iron to form the rails with stainless steel u-bolts at each union. It turned out fine; maybe even stronger than a welded unit. But the custom "ladder rack" for your specific shell would still be best.

PS- yes, on aluminum shells they are called "ladder racks"; they are designed for service people to carry light aluminum ladders and that's about it. Also work great for solar panels.

Man do I love it already! Especially after using my 87 4 runner as daily driver for twenty years .

My shell is a Top One Workmaster and can't seem to find if that company is around anymore. I'll probably fabricate my own "ladder rack" and add a Thule bar on the cab for canoes etc.

Are the side windows on your shell openable? Mine are fixed and I'd like to change them to some sliders for the dog.
Thanks for the tips

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Man do I love it already! Especially after using my 87 4 runner as daily driver for twenty years .

My shell is a Top One Workmaster and can't seem to find if that company is around anymore. I'll probably fabricate my own "ladder rack" and add a Thule bar on the cab for canoes etc.

Are the side windows on your shell openable? Mine are fixed and I'd like to change them to some sliders for the dog.
Thanks for the tips

There are a number of "universal" aluminum struts available to make a ladder rack.

My windows on the windoors are fixed.

I have a front slider window. I screened it for the dog. I also have the power rear window so I can open it up and holler back to him.

I do have truck power routed to the bed and can us it to operate a fan for the dog.

The great thing about white aluminum toppers is that they stay relatively cool.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Posted some electrical updates over on the 12V forum...

FJR Colorado

Explorer
With everything going on in the world but Summer still coming, it was time to do some new adds for possible COVID-19 bugging out.

The ol' girl still runs strong...

dLl43bW.jpg

Last Summer I had redone the solar system in a "service panel" config. See above link.

For the new stuff coming, first I had to slightly move the 100Ah Renogy big hog battery... (love this thing)

XhxrJyo.jpg

Gained a few inches of precious space and re-did the latching so I could add a small shelf...

i96faxA.jpg

The shelf accommodates a Nighthawk WiFi hotspot device plus a WiFi router...

QOULz37.jpg

This is going to be really handy at my off-grid cabin. I have a great all you can eat TMobile plan at no cost (work unit) which is always my main line. But TMobile does not work in a some places. I have an AT&T pre-pay plan that is cheap and should provide lifeline service at the cabin. I know AT&T works up there and I have a remote antenna I can connect to the hotspot device for greater signal gain.

ahZyBKJ.jpg

The moving of things is to accommodate a new 75L Dometic dual zone fridge. Always wanted a freezer. It should arrive soon.

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
What size tires are you running currently? And are you running spacers?

You mentioned you went up a size but most people that go to 285/75/16 seem to report rubbing on the mudflaps & frame rail as well as needing wheel spacers.

Truck looks great!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FJR Colorado

Explorer
What size tires are you running currently? And are you running spacers?

You mentioned you went up a size but most people that go to 285/75/16 seem to report rubbing on the mudflaps & frame rail as well as needing wheel spacers.

Truck looks great!

Thanks!

Running 265/75/16 GY Duratracs. They were considerably less expensive than one size up and would assure no rubbing issues.

Really great tires for snow, off-road, etc.

PS- I would personally never run spacers on anything but a trailer queen

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of spacers for suspension or wheels really.

I am running 265/75/16 KO2s on the same factory wheels as you. For some reason your tires looked larger but I assume it was just a favorable camera angle, or the beefiness of the Duratracs.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of spacers for suspension or wheels really.

I am running 265/75/16 KO2s on the same factory wheels as you. For some reason your tires looked larger but I assume it was just a favorable camera angle, or the beefiness of the Duratracs.

Those don't have many miles on them either. Yesterday I went and got my "annual oil change" :cool:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Well, a month later my new Dometic fridge still hasn't shipped. I was tired of waiting and the road to my cabin is clear, so I needed a fridge. I saw a great deal pop up on Amazon for the legendary Engel...

B6b77wb.jpg

It's from Japan so I liked it right away (see my vehicle list).

veXX5I9.jpg

I recall seeing these at McGuckin Hardware in Boulder long ago. They are built like tanks.

This model was released in 2008 so it's a very proven design. Aussies on YouTube have some incredible stories about durability. This unit was made for the marine market primarily.

I'm very impressed with the ruggedness and utter simplicity as well as the super-low energy usage. No digital thermo, nothing to set up really at all. One knob. Compressor purportedly has 1x moving part.

Very efficient. I made the mistake of setting it on "3" (out of 5); it turned gallon jugs of water into ice blocks in a hurry. Run this thing on "1" and you're fine. Super quiet.

The lid opening is ideal for my topper...

MhSjmdF.jpg

VojJmdB.jpg

I still have the Dometic 75 dual zone on order. I was/am looking forward to a freezer. But I think I will keep this Engel either way; whether it's for back-up, usage at the cabin, an aux fridge or freezer for long excursions, etc. I may even mount it on the other side of the enclosed topper and use it for storage but have a unit that can quickly be put into service should the main unit fail.

Cool unit and so far a very good value, I think. Was $729 w/free Prime shipping.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
So, after installing the new Dometic 75L dual zone fridge (seen above), I noticed that I could use some more solar power. Especially if I run a zone as a freezer (which is kind of the point).

I have now added another Renogy panel; this one 160W...

20200612_200343_resized.jpg

I will finish up the mounting tomorrow.

My new little fab shop (work in progress) sure came in handy to fab up a bunch of aluminum for the mounting parts...

20200612_203258_resized.jpg

I also set up a relay so the thirsty fridge/freezer shunts over to alternator power when the truck is running. As soon as the truck is turned off, it defaults back to solar/aux power.

With all this power, I think I could run the Dometic as 75L of fridge and the Engel as 40L of freezer. That could afford a long run of self-sufficiency.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne