2006 1st-Gen Tundra Doublecab Build

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Build is coming along...

Last week I ordered the Renogy 100W solar panel bundle. It comes with mounting brackets and a controller. It was highly recommended by a couple of prominent forum members.

Yesterday I picked up an Optima Yellowtop deep cycle battery.

Today I picked up the ARB 50Q fridge and some Weathertec floor mats.

ssc45

Observer
Hi Fred,

Sounds like your rig is coming right along. Looking forward to your build. We have to hit some trails one of these days.

Cheers, Steve

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Hi Fred,

Sounds like your rig is coming right along. Looking forward to your build. We have to hit some trails one of these days.

Cheers, Steve

Steve!

Long time. Like, way too long...

Coming to CO this summer by any chance?

It would be great to hit some trails with you.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Clean tundra. Love the topper. I have a similar one.

Thanks. I have seen your build thread and love that truck. I just hope I do 1/10th of the exploring in mine that you have done in yours.

I have my new solar system and fridge all set up here at the house to make sure it is a sustainable model before installing in the topper. So far, it is running flawlessly. Looking forward to getting it installed.

I am thinking of perhaps today creating a plywood bed floor that I would cover in carpet. Anybody done that?

The idea is that it would be so much easier to safely mount things such as the battery box and ARB fridge. Not to mention being able to mount things like small shackles for bungee cords and such.

sourdough

Adventurer
I played around with a canopy. It works and was fun figuring ways to equipe it. But nothing beats a FWC popup shell with options of your choice. I did Engineer Pass and a couple others last summer. Doing Imogene Pass,. I was on my way up from Telliride. I met an FJ with a RTT and he said he wanted my rig. You really want a FWC shell, LOL.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I have seen your build thread and love that truck. I just hope I do 1/10th of the exploring in mine that you have done in yours.

I have my new solar system and fridge all set up here at the house to make sure it is a sustainable model before installing in the topper. So far, it is running flawlessly. Looking forward to getting it installed.

I am thinking of perhaps today creating a plywood bed floor that I would cover in carpet. Anybody done that?

The idea is that it would be so much easier to safely mount things such as the battery box and ARB fridge. Not to mention being able to mount things like small shackles for bungee cords and such.

Thanks. Fridge maybe in my near future. Always want one cuz I hate buying ice and my freezer can only make so much lol

I did a wood floor on my runner cuz I didn't want to drill into the floor. Works good and I made it the same shape so it wraps around the wheel walls so it doesn't move. Weight on top keeps it from jumping up as sell.

Now you got me thinking and I may do one in the tundra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I did a wood floor on my runner cuz I didn't want to drill into the floor. Works good and I made it the same shape so it wraps around the wheel walls so it doesn't move. Weight on top keeps it from jumping up as sell.

Now you got me thinking and I may do one in the tundra.

Yeah, this sounded like a good way to go.

With some planning you can make the whole floor out of 1x good sheet of 4'x8' 3/4" plywood...

30m643q.jpg

I then carefully covered it in indoor/outdoor carpeting...

jqksnp.jpg

This will make a great base for mounting the fridge, battery box and latch points for bungee cords and such.

I secured it front and back so it cannot come up in a roll-over. In front I used the drainage holes. A carriage bolt goes through the plywood plus a metal strap on the underside; it then goes through the drainage hole and beneath the truck there is a metal strap anchor and then a nylon lock nut. In back I used L-brackets to mount to the filler plate beneath the door frame. It is solid as a rock.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
On to the self-sustaining solar power system...

OK, the idea once again is a totally self-sustaining solar power system to run a fridge, lights, charge cameras, laptop, phone, etc.

I started with an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle/starting battery...

nex2zr.jpg

I dropped it in a battery box and fabbed up a mounting plate for the Renogy charge controller...

adym4k.jpg

14x2kut.jpg

2ekqhy9.jpg

I got a great deal on the Renogy 100W panel plus the charge controller on Amazon. Really solid first-class gear. I am very pleased. But I really wanted to do a proof of concept test and make sure my idea of zero connection to the truck power system will fly. So, I set up a test with the panel on the deck...

21ajp13.jpg

Inside, I connected the battery box plus a brand new ARB 50Q fridge...

24q4zdg.jpg

Within minutes, the temp dropped down to the target...

9lbuo7.jpg

I have now kept this stocked and running for about 2 weeks. In fact, I have not shut it off since the initial hook-up. All has run perfectly. I open the fridge numerous times per day. Temp remains near constant. It stays perfectly cold all night well after the solar charge indicator goes down for the night.

I think I can state with certainty that this has passed the test. It is time to mount this up!

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Next Challenge: Mounting the solar panel

Well, onto the next challenge of coming up with some sort of roof rack for mounting the solar panel...

1zdaxdd.jpg

After researching all types of options on both the the truck cab and the topper, I think I have a good plan in my head.

I ordered up some parts from Unicover plus some nice heavy-duty 1/4" x 1.5"x 2.0" aluminum angle iron from Speedy Metals (great company) and have been getting it all rattle-canned...

21kl506.jpg

fa2yj5.jpg

262usnp.jpg

I hope to get it assembled tomorrow.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice solar set up and fridge. I want a fridge lol.

Interested in seeing how the roof rack will be bolted on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FJR Colorado

Explorer
She rides!

Thanks to all for the comments!

I worked hard yesterday and so far the results are good...

2du9e94.jpg

I went for an ultra-low mount while still providing for the needed clearance space below...

2vtcig9.jpg

There is ample room in the back for mounting a basket? one of those stainless steel expo tables? other ideas?

The plywood sub-floor is proving to be very useful for safely mounting things...

dbtthf.jpg

I'll post more pics of the battery mounts, etc. later. Notice the ARB at a chippy 29 degrees.

Side access through the windoors is key...

1o0x8w.jpg

My daughter jokes that this looks like a Taco truck :chef:

This is one of my new favorite moves...

2nvuydc.jpg

Happy 4th! I'm taking the Adventure Tundra on its second voyage. But the first with the solar system and fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier