2006 1st-Gen Tundra Doublecab Build

FJR Colorado

Explorer
2005s and 2006s are the same engine/tranny.

More often than not, your average 06 will have slightly less mileage. And, of course, be one less year in age.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
10-4,

Appreciate you letting me know.

I searched via my buddy Google and came up with PDF brochures from 04,05 and 06 Tundras.
Made for good reading.

I'm thinking about trading the Taco in for a DC Tundra. 2005 or 2006 probably. Won't happen to probably next year but we shall see.

What's funny is the 16" rims on your truck are the nicest OEM Toyota rims I've ever wanted for my Tacoma. 4.5" offset and 16" would be great on my truck, lol... Who knew one day I would be looking at the truck they came on instead of hunting CL for the rims themselves. I believe they are TRD OR rims from 04-06 but I'm not 100% on that.

Two local guys have them,
The blue RC is the set I had yeas ago but decided to sell instead of mount on my own truck.
T4R was on a lot locally here last year.

IMG_20140303_092256487_zpsgyly3hv5.jpg

IMG_20140406_082056360_zps3umidnvr.jpg

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
10-4,

Appreciate you letting me know.

I searched via my buddy Google and came up with PDF brochures from 04,05 and 06 Tundras.
Made for good reading.

I'm thinking about trading the Taco in for a DC Tundra. 2005 or 2006 probably. Won't happen to probably next year but we shall see.

What's funny is the 16" rims on your truck are the nicest OEM Toyota rims I've ever wanted for my Tacoma. 4.5" offset and 16" would be great on my truck, lol... Who knew one day I would be looking at the truck they came on instead of hunting CL for the rims themselves. I believe they are TRD OR rims from 04-06 but I'm not 100% on that.

Two local guys have them,
The blue RC is the set I had yeas ago but decided to sell instead of mount on my own truck.
T4R was on a lot locally here last year.

Thanks for your reply. I do know what you mean about those snazzy rims and lots of "trained observers" comment on them in a positive manner.

I'm pretty sure my truck was a TRD edition. It had those wheels plus yellow Bilsteins all the way around. The TRD stickers are missing but a lot of people take them off so as not to be branded a turd :)

skywhitney

Squirrel
This truck.... This is how I want my truck. I've been trying to nail down a good example of what I want and I just found it. Awesome build! Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FJR Colorado

Explorer
This truck.... This is how I want my truck. I've been trying to nail down a good example of what I want and I just found it. Awesome build! Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Aw shucks, you're now being WAY too kind skywhitney :) Many others have much more sophisticated builds on here. But thank you very much for the nice comments.

It really has worked out just superbly. I went in having high expectations but the Tundy never fails to let me down.

In fact, I've been looking at a potential complimentary 1st Gen. It would be fun to do a build-up again. If I can find just the right 2005 or 2006 to start with, I may just do it all over again (but definitely also keep the one I have).

The only issue is that I'm flat out of places to park all the Toys. Sadly, I'd probably have to give up the beloved Sequoia. It too has been a freaking remarkable vehicle...

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Happy New Year to all the Tundra-ites out there!

I've been tinkering over the holidays on a bunch of small projects.

Here is some advanced cup-holder technology :)...

acagc9.jpg

xwxuv.jpg

I made the slots of varying length to accommodate different size cans/bottles.

2qu23p2.jpg

I mounted it along the bed rail right in front of the fridge...

1267foy.jpg

I mounted it by clamping it to the clamps that hold down the topper. I then added a cool 13.5" rotating LED fixture.

ws1w8x.jpg

nfo7yu.jpg

FJR Colorado

Explorer
When I bought the truck used, one perplexing thing was the lack of a towing receptacle in the rear for a trailer electrical hook-up. The truck had the whole towing package including transmission cooler, 2" hitch receiver, it even had an electric brake controller... so where the heck was the connector???

It turns out that the 7-pin connector was lying on top of the spare tire. It was in pretty rough shape. The center connector was so loose it was amazing it had not fallen out. The adjacent 4-flat connector was totally exposed and weathered. The ground post had fallen completely off.

I thoroughly cleaned, tightened and straightened out the 7-pin connector. I tested it (as much as I could) and it appears to be in working order!

I bought a bunch of 4-flat and other wire including some 12GA black & red. I made a new plug that would go into the 7-pin jack with two separate harnesses coming out for routing into the topper shell:

-4-flat (ground, tail, left/brake, right/brake) plus back-up lights
-black & red 12GA for AUX power

I also snipped the bad 4-flat that was adjacent to the 7-pin jack. Spliced it and ran a clean 4-flat extension to a new clean plug with rubber boot and mounted it next to the hitch receiver by way of a clamp with rubber grommet protector. So, I have a nice 4-flat if I ever need it. I can still use the 7-pin for towing as well, I'd just have to disconnect the new harness(es) mentioned above which now feed the interior of the topper.

So, I took the 12GA black & red now energized with 12V AUX power when the truck is running and routed them back near my main power center on the passenger side toward the front of the bed. I put a fuse holder and 20A fuse in-line. I had a 3-outlet cigarette plug with heavy gauge wire laying around so decided to use it. It has LED illumination when energized. I did not want to drill holes in the bed so I used a heavy duty magnet and bolted a piece of walnut to it. Then lagged the outlet onto it:

vxg4e8.jpg

(the red & black wires on the left are 16GA for a dome light BTW; not part of this outlet)

Now, I still maintain completely discrete power systems. However, having truck AUX 12VDC power opens up some options...

1) I have back-up power if the solar system experiences a failure for some reason.

2) I can run things that aren't quite right for the solar power such as a fan for the dog when it's hot... or a heater for the dog if it's freezing cold...

3) I could potentially set up a way to charge the system off the truck while driving; this has not been a need heretofore but I suppose if I go someplace that isn't as sunny as Colorado (say, Alaska) that could become a need

In an upcoming post I'll show you what I am doing with the other trailer wires now routed into the topper.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Another little project was mounting this $10 Tractor Supply LED dome light onto my table...

69hn3a.jpg

For a cheap little sucker, it sure puts out some great illumination with minimal power draw...

oh2xa8.jpg

This will be real handy for grabbing stuff in the dark or making that really early cup of Joe.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I love the why we do it updates. Good to see!!

Yeah, got up the to the hills for a couple days last week. The Tundy is such a great cruising-around vehicle. All the mods work to perfection.

That was up by Kite Lake. That spot is nestled among 14ers. Not a bad snowpack for mid-May. Here is another shot:

6vExUZe.jpg

KdTLV9b.jpg

Last edited:

May-39

EXACT SAME THING I AM GOING THROUGH GOOD FOR YOU
I sold my beloved T100 to my brother in law last year after 100k and 10 years of glorious adventures. Went looking for replacement. I was really grooving on these 05/05 tundras or a power wagon. My uncle had one that he put some type of lsd in, added bilstein lift and duratracks..That thing was a soft riding woods weasel.
But a "great" deal on a 2011 ram 1500 with bilstiens and brand new BFGs popped up last xmas. Have to admit the power really made me smile and I bought it. wife and I loves the look, the power etc. I don't trust this thing. A major electrical harness is sitting right under the driverside floorboard (on the outside) waiting for a rock or stick or water crossing to get smoked or flooded... SERIOUSLY? ZF rear end with one locker option...No gear changes beyond stock available...skid plates or so they claim are a joke. factory leaves everything from radiator to xfer case unprotected or dang near...the skid plate is like a metal piece of paper about the same size...joke..AEV makes a sweet 1500 rig but wont sell the parts only $15k conversion... then I start to hear about all the mds lifter failures etc...
Well, this ram has gotta go. I have nowhere near the faith that I can take that truck dozens of miles from a paved road with my dog like I did with my mountain goat-turtle slow T100. No major flaws but it feels like a poser truck to me...
I am back to looking for mint 05/06 4 door Tundra again and found this thread. good for you!!!!!
You bought a winner..you know it but just reminding you. I don't care how many hemis blast past you on the highway.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
EXACT SAME THING I AM GOING THROUGH GOOD FOR YOU
I sold my beloved T100 to my brother in law last year after 100k and 10 years of glorious adventures. Went looking for replacement. I was really grooving on these 05/05 tundras or a power wagon. My uncle had one that he put some type of lsd in, added bilstein lift and duratracks..That thing was a soft riding woods weasel.
But a "great" deal on a 2011 ram 1500 with bilstiens and brand new BFGs popped up last xmas. Have to admit the power really made me smile and I bought it. wife and I loves the look, the power etc. I don't trust this thing. A major electrical harness is sitting right under the driverside floorboard (on the outside) waiting for a rock or stick or water crossing to get smoked or flooded... SERIOUSLY? ZF rear end with one locker option...No gear changes beyond stock available...skid plates or so they claim are a joke. factory leaves everything from radiator to xfer case unprotected or dang near...the skid plate is like a metal piece of paper about the same size...joke..AEV makes a sweet 1500 rig but wont sell the parts only $15k conversion... then I start to hear about all the mds lifter failures etc...
Well, this ram has gotta go. I have nowhere near the faith that I can take that truck dozens of miles from a paved road with my dog like I did with my mountain goat-turtle slow T100. No major flaws but it feels like a poser truck to me...
I am back to looking for mint 05/06 4 door Tundra again and found this thread. good for you!!!!!
You bought a winner..you know it but just reminding you. I don't care how many hemis blast past you on the highway.

Thanks for the comments!

It's now been 3 years since the acquisition and build-out and, I have to say, the Tundy has been absolutely superb.

So good, that I am constantly scanning the wires looking for another 1st Gen in great shape with super low miles. Not that I need it... Just want to make sure I forever have an 05 or 06 Tundra available.

By the way, my 01 Sequoia has been a great story as well. I've now had that for 7 years as well.

You simply can't beat the Toyota reliability.

Good luck in your search! I see you are in MI. I'd seriously consider a CO, TX or AZ Tundy. Anything from The Wolverine State is likely to be fairly rusty.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Great build! Simple, but functional. Really like that canopy and how you've organized it.

Thanks! The canopy is definitely a redneck special but, hey, whatever works.

I plan to use it this Summer in the middle of the Wyoming desert during the solar eclipse. I expect to be set up and camped out for several hours so it should come in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears