Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to Bald Eagle State Forest - Victoria Day Weekend - May 2014

Default Return to Bald Eagle State Forest - Victoria Day Weekend - May 2014

Late last summer, my brother and I took a week and explored the Pennsylvania Wilds. We had a great time, it was our first vehicle based trip of any substantial length and our first into the United States.

We had a spectacular time in Bald Eagle State Forest and knew immediately that we would have to return someday soon. The trip report from the previous adventure can be found here

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ne-Creek-Gorge

This winter we decided that over Victoria Day weekend (the weekend before Memorial day) that we would return to Bald Eagle to explore some new sections, and revisit some old. We decided to stay in Poe Valley State Park again in on of the cabins, as the weather can be sometimes unpredictable and cold that time of the year, and with four guys they are very cheap. Nothing wrong with being a little comfortable now and then!

Last trip we took was just my brother and I in my 2001 Xterra, this time we would add another vehicle and two more guys. My brother would be bringing his XJ and both of my brother-in-laws would be joining us for their first experience on a trip like this.

We decided that we would do some "drivable trails" but also incorporate more exploration on foot, to satisfy everyone.

Here are the trusty steeds:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...1-Xterra-Build
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ock-quot-Build

Stay tuned here over the next few days as I update with pictures and notes from our trip!

Subscribing to this as it looks to be fairly interesting. Can't wait!

Hurry up and update! Definitely looking forward to seeing this trip! And welcome to the U.S.
    - Richard
    2004 Xterra 4x4 Build Thread

Our crew consisted of four guys, Mike, Mike, Bryan and Bryan....no my keyboard isnt on repeat.

Mike #1 and Bryan #2 are Brothers, Mike #1 and Bryan #2 married Mike #2's sisters. Confused yet?

Here is a pic of the crew in accidental order by height. Bryan #2, Mike#1, Bryan#1, Mike#2

Our plan was to set out from Welland, Ontario the Friday of Victoria day weekend (May 16) bright and early in the morning. For those of you who don't know, a quick history lesson. Queen Victoria was a British monarch who reined from 1837 until 1901 and is one of the longest reigning monarchs in modern history. As such she saw a lot of charge, expanding the empire and was also in power when Canada was declared a Dominion in 1867 and officially became its own country.

We had intended to meet up at my In-laws, have a couple of beers and plan the route down to Bald Eagle State Forest in the morning. Mike #2 and Bryan #1 ended up having to work so we just slammed the stuff into the car that night and got up bright and early.

For inter-vehicle communications we decided to use a pair of walkie-talkies that we had got on sale last fall, neither vehicle had a CB and we figured that we would only be a short distance apart, no big deal.

We had the walkie-talkie's off during the border crossing as we figured the border guards wouldn't appreciate two vehicles communicating in line. Unfortunately we hadn't really planned for the eventuality of the vehicles being separated at the border crossing. We ended up in separate lines, and although close my brothers XJ (with Mike #2 on board) ended up crossing about 15 minutes after us.

Bryan #1 and I decided to just drive slow, as the other vehicle was next in line, well the vehicle before them was searched and slowed them substantially. We had lost radio contact and they ended up getting lost. We were trying not to us our cell phones as most of us had not added US plans for the weekend. We ended up having to just call each other and organize, we met up at ZJs diner in Hamburg New York to have some breakfast and re-group.

15 minutes in, and we already were separated and one vehicle lost! what a great start to the trip, we vowed to not get lost again.......

We headed South down the 219 through Ellicotville, we had intended taking this much further south but decided at the diner we would take the more scenic route cross-country through Elk and Susquehannock State Forests, among others. We didnt stop really other than for fuel and lunch, but there was some nice scenery along the way.

We also stopped a couple of vistas along the way, sorry I didn't catch the names as it was just impromptu as we drove by.

This route took us significantly longer than we had planned, we originally were aiming for Millheim, Pennsylvania for around noon (we left home at 6am). A lot of the roads were 40 zones and there was a significant amount of wash-outs and water on the road so we didn't make very good time. We rolled into Lock Haven around 1 and stopped for some lunch.

We were really close now, Bald Eagle was just a little further south and we were all getting excited....

Good start so far
    2001 Pathfinder 4x4: AC 2" lift | Bilstein 5100 | 265/75/16 BFG KM2| ARB rear locker | WARN manual hubs | Rola roof-rack | RRO super sliders | XRC 9500 winch | DIY front bumper | DIY rear bumper | DIY skid plate| DIY storage platform | DIY cargo divider | ARB awning| 45qt IndelB | Smitty Element ramps | SPOT, HAM, CB | etc.

Keep going... If you're going to have us excuse continued Canuckistani incursions into our sovereign territory, you'd better provide good picture threads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Mr. Stay-Puft according to my wife!).
    The MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop) Build

Good start of trip. Keep on..., and be safe.
    2012 Infiniti QX56..., KING OF THE ROAD
    2008 Nissan Maxima SE..., CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread...
    http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...=24056&page=43 King of the Road
    http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ Catch Me If You Can

What??? No obligatory stop in Benezette to see the elk herd? Too many Mikes, too many Bryans, questionable marriage entanglements, a lost car and no elk vieiwng...I'm not sure if this is the start of a great tale or a prelude to disaster.

Welcome back to the Keystone State boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    What??? No obligatory stop in Benezette to see the elk herd? Too many Mikes, too many Bryans, questionable marriage entanglements, a lost car and no elk vieiwng...I'm not sure if this is the start of a great tale or a prelude to disaster.

Welcome back to the Keystone State boys!
    Haha so much Pennsylvania so little time. I'll stay awhile just don't make me drink any keystone beer.

Stay tuned in the morning for the next update!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast