Noob on a trailer

Geodoc

Adventurer
Well, I'm going to inspection tomorrow morning without the box (it's actually designed to be removable so I can also use the trailer for hauling junk). Managed to get it fiberglassed (all edges), but barely. And didn't get the doors in. Keep your fingers crossed.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Trailer weighs 300 lbs (sans box), and now has a VIN :wings: Unfortunately, I couldn't find my receipt for the metal, so it'll be 3 years before I get my title. No sweat - I'm not planning on selling it anyhow.

State Patrol inspector said it was a good looking trailer (but that I should have had the cargo area on it - I told him my only experience with homemade trailers was a little Harbor Freight trailer, to which he comments - "Yeah, they let you put anything on those".

BTW, it towed great, but was a bit unnerving at 60 MPH (as it was so light, I felt just about every bump).

java

Expedition Leader
Are you doing like full on tear drop box? Glad to hear its registered! How do you like the 6 ten? Is it in the small tubes (standard caulking size) that you're using?

Geodoc

Adventurer
Very nice looking thus far... love to see pics of the box once you get it put togeather

Thanks fast_suv - I'll be putting the final touches on the box at the end of the month and will post more pix then. Cut out the back hatch and a side hatch (look at the Compact Camping Concepts website - I've pretty much based it on the Explorer box they have - and which I've built a smaller one with using a HF trailer).

Geodoc

Adventurer
Are you doing like full on tear drop box? Glad to hear its registered! How do you like the 6 ten? Is it in the small tubes (standard caulking size) that you're using?

Naw, not that ambitious. Pretty much a rectangular cube - hatch on the back, two hatches on the sides toward the front, with a divider between the back 2/3 and the front 1/3. Looks ugly right now (apparently I failed accurate cuts school), but nothing a bit of paint won't fix up.

Geodoc

Adventurer
How do you like the 6 ten? Is it in the small tubes (standard caulking size) that you're using?
It's pretty amazing stuff - I was able to lift the entire box by lifting it from the back hatch once the glue set. I used the small tubes and spread it on both pieces to be glued. Pricey, though (about $22 a tube!). Got it at West Marine in Fife. Thanks to a bunch of things I learned here and on the foamie thread over at TTT I was able to put out something I think is pretty sturdy. I'll be posting a lessons learned thing once I get back next week.

Sharpie

Observer
Nice work so far. Do you have any updates/pics? Will there be any framing or will the sheets act as your frame and int/ext skins? What blade were you using in your miter saw? How well did it work and last on the frame steel? Thanks and keep up the great work.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Stopped work, but plan on getting back to it this week (been on the road promoting the Simple Shower).

The sheets will act as the frame and skins.

I used a grinding wheel. I don't recommend it as it gets smaller and smaller, making accurate cuts more difficult. Next time I'll use a dedicated metal blade.

I've got a list of lessons learned which I'll probably post later.

Geodoc

Adventurer
I'm working on the East Coast retailer thing. We list retailers on our website, and post on FaceBook any time we get another one. Tried to get a retailer in Killington interested (haven't heard back - the employees thought it was great, though).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94