Perfect Mate for a FWC?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
slooowr6 said:
The other day I saw a Chevy 1500 with utility bed that looks exactly like normal truck bed. The best way I can describe it is like having a normal truck bed but the side has compartments built in the profile of the side is exactly like the OEM bed side.

I think I know what you're talking about. Our local GM dealership offered those around '04 - '05. They were made by a company called Royal Truck Body, and that model was called the "Sport Body."

I have a few pics of one of them saved deep, deep, deep in my pic files. Do these look like what you're describing?

Royal+Truck+Sport+Body.jpg

Royal+Truck++Sport++Body+2.jpg

Royal+Truck+Sport+Body+3.jpg

Royal+Truck+Sport+Body+4.jpg

According to my local dealership's fleet manager, Royal Truck Body is not making them anymore so he can't get them. Word is their plant burned down and they lost all of their tooling to make the Sport Body beds.

They were a really unique concept. Cool points for allowing use of a tailgate too, unlike most utility beds. Perhaps it was one of those Royal Truck Body units you saw or perhaps someone has picked up the idea and started manufacturing them again...?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
slooowr6 said:
Be afraid be very afraid.... :littlefriend: <- (angry wife)

I have seen the wife in question become annoyed (F*#% THE OLD LADY!!!!!!). I don't want to see the wife in question make the transition from annoyed to angry.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Brian,

You're going to he77 for that one! Only if she sees it though!

Those truck beds were the ones I was talking about earlier as well... that would be a perfect fit, but I've never seen them for a Dodge. I can only imagine the costs for a 1 off like that.

Four Wheel Tom

Rockcrawler... I enjoyed spending time with you in Phoenix, and really appreciate the research you're putting into this project.

If Alice will be using this for a daily driver... keep in mind that a 3/4 ton can be a rough ride with nothing in the box. The camper will smooth out the ride, though, if that's an option for leaving it on all the time. We use 3/4 ton Dodges with the Cummins and they haul a truck and trailer load of campers VERY adequately... but the new ones have lousy mileage and are very sensitive to breathing through a dirty air filter. Beware...

thanks

Tom

lowenbrau

Explorer
kcowyo said:
I think I know what you're talking about. Our local GM dealership offered those around '04 - '05. They were made by a company called Royal Truck Body, and that model was called the "Sport Body."

I don't know if it was Royal or not but I saw a really nice service body on an outfitters truck and he told me that he bought 4 of them at a closeout because Ford had sued the maker for copy right infringement and shut them down.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
To correct some misinformation presented in one of the above postings...The Aisin 6-speed automatic is offered ONLY in the 4500-5500 series Dodges. If you get the standard pickup (2500-3500 series) you still get a 6-speed auto - but it is not the Aisin.

Rockcrawler, I'm one of the ones that tries to use a long bed quad cab Cummins Ram off-road. Here's some of the issues I've come across: Breakover angle with stock tires and no lift is definitely a problem. I've hit the transfer case guard pretty hard a couple times going over berms I thought for sure I would clear. Second is the lack of a locking differential for the AAM axles under the Ram - advantage Ford on that one. Get yourself crossed up crossing a washout with no weight on one front and one rear wheel and you're in trouble. Lastly, that Cummins is mighty heavy - heavier than the Powerstroke or the Duramax - so you have to be very cautious in soft terrain. That said, I'd still choose the Dodge (because of the Cummins) over the Ford or GM.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input guys... for now we've decided to stick w/ the truck we have... for a couple of more years anyway. We got a good deal on a nice used Hawk FWC in Phoenix so we went up and checked it out and bought it today! Here are some pics... I'll share some more details later.

Kyle

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
How long did it take you to back it into the garage? And how many times did you get out to see if you were about to get up close and personal with the door?

I'm over at Marisa's, I'll talk to her about what we discussed the other night.

:wavey:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Get her in the Cummins 6 SPD and get her driving it now! Diesels are the easiest to teach someone to drive a MT with the govenor and the torque of the Cummins it will not stall. I know the feeling about the wife and MT's mine is the same way. I told her when I get my Diesel she will learn on it. I should have pushed her on the Chevy I had it drove so easy too, but I didn't wanna push her and now she says I should have lol... Go figure you can never win!

As for all the comments on the ride quality of a 3/4 or 1 ton. If you own a Jeep they are gonna be like a Cadilac. Dad's Doge 1 ton dually 4wd Cummins rides nice, the Chevy we had in the same configuration rode like a Caddy, it was way smooth. Only problem it had was it didn't have a Cummins. :mad: It would have been the perfect truck if it did..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94