Skiers Lodge - Build Thread

Swedeski

Adventurer
Have not checked in here in a while.
Have been busy the last month. A lot of work before xmas and been "busy" trying to relax during the holidays. Have visited alot of family and friends. Really weird intermittent weather during the last weeks with snow, really cold and then melting temperatures on and off. Been trying our best to enjoy it anyway.
c4d8291a68b10c57d618fc9f49fff3c3.jpg

Ice skating when the snow melted away.
1cfb60cb2871c3658fb6e68b61f4ac0f.jpg

And some biking and xc skiing during the snow weeks/days. The temperature has changed from 48.2 F to -23 F back and forth.

Regarding the truck I had a go at the annual safety-and-emission inspection. Faled due to "pulsating brakes". Have had that for quite some time but passed last time around. And it's not that bad. But got a really zealous inspector, so that got me some more work.
First of since it's a floating caliper I thought that might have got stuck since the brake rotors and pads looked good. Used wd40, force and a sledge hammer, then took it for a run and stomped the brakes over and over. Well that turned out useless, still no better. Nothing wrong with the ABS system either.
Then I got to talk with someone that actually knows some stuff and not just guess around like I do. Turned out that if the brake rotor cooling fins get rusted and weak the rotor flexes during braking, hence the pulsation. So new rotors and pads and then I could pass the inspection.
Took advantage of a day with warmer degrees.
1505040927b426d38129b496f56925d0.jpg

Washed the truck for the first time in a while. Also picked up a package from the US. I ordered fender flares a couple of weeks ago.
e604ce21f4b0fc628eb4ffb3c6c3610a.jpg
It will cover up the rusty wheel arches.
07595e7d661abac8d695ce4152b911a3.jpg

And just a mock up.
10d5ee9efe60cd194dec0618de2de271.jpg

I am waiting for a better time to mount them. To cover up rust is like putting makeup on a pig, it's still a pig (but it looks a little better). I will give it a grind and shoot it with something to prevent it to rust even more, but this way I won't have to get new fenders. Even with shipping and taxes the flares where 3 times cheaper in the US compared to Sweden.

Swedeski

Adventurer
Started April with a short ski trip. Just drove to a resort a couple of hours from home. It's been awhile since we used the camper and it's sure nice to head out. It's not the lack of skiing that has rendered us in not using the camper in a couple of weeks. Been working four weeks in the mountains and topped it of with a trip to La Grave in France. Found some steeps and finally some deeps there.
Been wanting to go there for awhile so nice tick it off the list. A place you can definitely go back to.
Only thing new is a couple of china-knock-off's led extra high beam lights. Trying them out, will se if they are gonna stay on the truck or go on another car.
b16a74e94d528f7868d492f6aec23989.jpg
ff0eaf0c6aed0df66fd3ff7865240be6.jpg
b8ffd02672bfd1c1b79643ecf5060400.jpg
b700d3ede3d4b193f53f758f15eac797.jpg

Last edited:

Swedeski

Adventurer
My truck just turned 19 years this month. It rolled of the assembly line in Canada in April 1998.
IMG_20170426_174612[1].jpg
As You can se in the upper right corner. Also found the date stamped on the frame when I improved the rust protection last year.
Made another little getaway this weekend.
IMG_20170426_180927[1].jpg
Packed skis and fishing rods and parked by the river just north of where we live. It was windy, cloudy and cold in the morning. The fisherman in me was to lazy to get the rods out. It cleared a bit and got warmer so we got a couple of hours skiing. Nice to get out and about anyways.
Also wired a switch between the generator (D+) and the coil of the separator relay for the batteries. Then I can manually control the signal to the separator relay which connects the batteries.
This way if the house battery is drained I can have them disconnected on startup.
Looking forward to more and longer trips and hitting 20 years.

Swedeski

Adventurer
Congratulations !!
Calls for reflection of times past & relaxing with a beer.
Btw, I always thought that paint colour looked like a can of Pripps Blå...
Coincidence ? I dont think so...
Ha! Never thought about that. Had to go to the store. It's a match! One has just aged for 19 years. Or I might be dead wrong, my colour vision is far from great. Not the best trait for an electrician,but I get by.
I'm gonna go ahead and trust you on this one and that definitely calls for a beer. Just happens to be a Pripps Blå...not a coincidence.
aa3f201e55b5e0d47fa9e3555e966078.jpg

Last edited:

Swedeski

Adventurer
Hey @Swedeski...pretty sure I know you from La Grave circa 2003/4.
Sorry, not me. I wasn't there those years. I was actually in Salt Lake City, Park City and Moab in Utah in 2004. (Just for NCAA ski races and 2 mtb trips to Moab)

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

Swedeski

Adventurer
Looks like a nice spot to camp for a few days!
It's a nice spot. Fishing from "the porch", running/hiking/mtb-trails just a couple yards away. A alpine slope 10 minutes away and xc-skiing trails within 5 minutes. Sometimes you have to rub elbows with a lot of fly-fishermen but this time we where all alone.

Utah200

Adventurer
Sorry, not me. I wasn't there those years. I was actually in Salt Lake City, Park City and Moab in Utah in 2004. (Just for NCAA ski races and 2 mtb trips to Moab)

Ha...roger that. Safe bet we know many of the same folks then.

Swedeski

Adventurer
2.8% beer? Ugh thats terrible! :snorkel:
Yeah we do got some crazy alcohol-regulations here in Sweden. In a regular grocery store you can only buy beer from non-alcoholic up to 3.5 %. If you want regular beer, wine and hard liquor you have to go to special stores regulated by the goverment. Does it prevent alcoholism? I think only Russia and Finland consume more alcohol per capita than Sweden, so no.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah we do got some crazy alcohol-regulations here in Sweden. In a regular grocery store you can only buy beer from non-alcoholic up to 3.5 %. If you want regular beer, wine and hard liquor you have to go to special stores regulated by the goverment. Does it prevent alcoholism? I think only Russia and Finland consume more alcohol per capita than Sweden, so no.

There are some states that are like that too. We have so many micro brews around now that I'm used to beer that 6.5-9%, it's delicious

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
Swedeski,

The US has its share of strange liquor laws as well. I have been to a "dry county" where anyone could go to a golf course country club and pay $1 to be a "member" so they could purchase alcohol. I have seen places where you can only buy beer in a grocery, but not wine or vice versa, I forget.

Liquor stores here are regulated by the Federal Government (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms), as well as the states. Some states only sell 3% ABV beer, etc.

I know someone who recently visted Iceland and was quite surprised to see 2.5% beer in the grocery store. I think the group just drank extra to make up for it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior