Trailer limitations

scoutzach

i am new to the expedition trailers and is just wondering what the limitations are for haveing one. I will be towing it with a f150

thanks.

6btEX

Observer
The only limitations are the intended use and budget. Seen some awesome trailers that can go almost anywhere, that cost more than a car and some cheap trailers that shouldn't leave the black top. You have to find your middle of the road. What are you going to use it for and how much are you willing to pay or time and skills you can invest? Is it just a cargo hauler with a RTT or a full on camper?

java

Expedition Leader
I like having my trailer but there are some limitations.

Turning around on a tight FS road or trail can suck. 14 point turns with a trailer is no fun.
More drag in soft sand mud etc. Need more traction on the drive wheels to pull the extra dead weight.
Longer overall length. Parking can be a ***** in a grocery store etc for getting supplies.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I'd say the only limitation would be your imagination and budget. Mine stated off just as a trailer rebuild with no tent, lid, ect, now it grown into a comfortable camping rig.
This is what I started with.
T9.jpg
And her is where I am today.
T191.jpg
IMG_20140411_192401_638.jpg

fubar

Adventurer
The only limitation I see is that I am more conservative as to where I gone *alone*. You can get in to a bit more trouble and recovery is more complicated with a trailer. Even so, I remain a fan and highly recommend having one.

I also pull mine with an F150 FX4 5.0. Can hardly tell my 2K lb (loaded and wet) Conqueror Compact is there. Pulled it through some nutty stuff with no issues. See avatar for example.

Go for it!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Depending on where you travel, there's one more limit: The speed limit.

In many states, all vehicles with trailers are limited to 55mph, even if posted limit is higher. If you have to cover a lot of highway miles to get to your preferred places, this is a factor. Sure, you can plan to exceed that, but with my luck, I'd end up with a CHP behind me for 200 miles.

fubar

Adventurer
Depending on where you travel, there's one more limit: The speed limit.

In many states, all vehicles with trailers are limited to 55mph, even if posted limit is higher. If you have to cover a lot of highway miles to get to your preferred places, this is a factor. Sure, you can plan to exceed that, but with my luck, I'd end up with a CHP behind me for 200 miles.

Funny, yet true point. I got pulled over on the way to OEX by the CHP for doing 65. Took a slow walk around the trailer and gave me a warning.

grogie

Like to Camp
I've only had my trailer for over a year now and I most recently added an RTT on top of it. With that being said, I have a trailer because the wife and I were tired of living out of a two-door Jeep for up to several weeks at a time. We called it minimalistic camping to say the least...

Positives about my trailer:
  • More room to carry more gear to make camping more enjoyable.
  • It's always 95% ready to go. I just have to pack the cooler and my clothes and hook up the trailer.
  • With an RTT, no more ground tent, no more sleeping pads that need to be blown up, and no more cots.
  • Trailer has it's own battery and inverter.
  • Carries extra water and a propane tank.
  • Easy to pull (even with a SWB Jeep) at about 1200#s loaded. (I'll note that the trailer does have electric brakes.)
  • Something else to obsess about. You'll spend a lot of time looking for parts that fit the space, your needs and your dreams.

My negatives:
  • I don't want to tow it on narrow roads with limited areas to pass others on, which I didn't worry about before.
  • I have to always consider being able to turn it around. (Although if I was forced, I could unhook it and turn it around by hand as long as it's on a flat surface.)
  • Not all that practical as I have it designed. It's really only for camping with no other functions. (It's not a box trailer for hauling home gravel.)
  • There is more to consider when towing such as making sure that it stays hooked up, tire pressure is good (I have matching tires to my Jeep), general maintenance, towing speed, etc.
  • A well done expo trailer is an attention getter and security of it's contents and the trailer itself has to be considered.
  • People even at a gas station want to talk to me about it.

And positive or negative?
It's all custom... You'll spend a lot of time

Last edited:

cwadej

just a guy
[*]A well done expo trailer is an attention getter and security of it's contents and the trailer itself has to be considered.
[*]People even at a gas station want to talk to me about it.
[/LIST]

And positive or negative?
It's all custom... You'll spend a lot of time

That's why mine is stealth. Ford Courier bed with an Airtop on it, looks like a truck bed made into a trailer with a funny bed topper on it.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Discount Tires states, "Speed:

All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.

The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases".

not sure what type of tire you are running....

J.G

Observer
Gas mileage, is the main detractor for me. Extra wind drag and weight, eats into and already low mileage average.

grogie

Like to Camp
Gas mileage, is the main detractor for me. Extra wind drag and weight, eats into and already low mileage average.

Interesting enough, not for my Jeep that already gets 14 mpg (at best). My trailer hardly does anything to the mpg.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
That is one problem of really building a unique unit. Time spent talking to people at the gas station, camp sites and on and on. I just plan to be at the gas station for a half hour on every stop. But it is fun to see people's eyes bug out when they look at it. "You have a tempurpedic in there" is the one I hear the most. How long can you stay out and off the grid?

But you also meet some really neat people that share your adventure.

I have not done the Rubicon with my trailer, will some day when the shiney wears off. Pretty sure there are several problems on it for the size of my trailer, but it is all fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94