Discrete Solar Power System for Truck Bed & Topper

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have a build thread going in the 'Yota section; but wanted to take the electrical plan I had over to this section...

Another idea is a completely separate electrical system for the topper only. Solar panels would be mounted to the roof...

2z9jl9d.jpg

These would feed into a deep cycle battery (either in the bed or beneath the bed along the chassis).

Connected to the battery would be 12V outlets for an ARB fridge, 12V fan, maybe a few lights and a laptop/phone charging station. I would just turn the fridge on a few days before the next adventure would commence.

Again this entire system would be non-integrated to the Tundra's system. Anybody done something like that? What am I over-looking or failing to realize?

Any suggestions on an ideal kit for such a set-up?

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Complete independence from the Toyota chassis is possible, I just hate to consider not using the alternator as it can be a very good bulk charging tool.( charging a battery from x% up to 80% state of charge). That last 20% takes a long time no matter the charging source.

The ARB will cool down quickly. No need to turn it on days before an outing. HOurs before, not days.

Not familiar with available kits. I'd recommend 140 watts minimum. The Laptop's draw is a big questionmark that should be covered by the the extra 40 watts

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
I just finished up a 200 watt install (2 100 watt panels) with 2 125 ah AGM batteries with a MPPT charge controller.

It all fits on the roof of my 2000 tacoma and I will be running a large norcold fridge freezer, battery chargers for cameras, computer (macbook pros are 85watts), lights and a fan.

I am debating hooking it up to the alternator or not (i do have an isolator in place from my last non solar system.) I think i can ditch the inverter but its sure nice to be able to have 115v power. I can turn on the inverter with a wireless remote from inside the cab. The battery compartment does not really need to be accessed.

I live up in aspen if you are in the area, this is a list of everything i got from amazon (free shipping on batteries and solar panels that turned out to be a HUGE savings)

I have added a note to each product but if you have any questions let me know. My solar shopping list

t

14209624598_1b85f9f903_b.jpg

14209623648_c36551c988_b.jpg

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Really, there isn't much to it.

I put a 100w panel on top of my camper about a year ago, & haven't hooked the camper to the truck (electrically) since. The cables are in place, I just haven't needed to connect them.

The electrical load is relatively small (ARB fridge, LED lights, vent fan, battery chargers for phones/cameras/lap top/etc), so the 100w panel & single deep cycle AGM battery has no trouble keeping up with the demand.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Complete independence from the Toyota chassis is possible, I just hate to consider not using the alternator as it can be a very good bulk charging tool.( charging a battery from x% up to 80% state of charge). That last 20% takes a long time no matter the charging source.

The ARB will cool down quickly. No need to turn it on days before an outing. HOurs before, not days.

Not familiar with available kits. I'd recommend 140 watts minimum. The Laptop's draw is a big questionmark that should be covered by the the extra 40 watts

Great insights. Thanks!

Duly noted.

BTW, is the ARB pretty much THE 'fridge to go with?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I just finished up a 200 watt install (2 100 watt panels) with 2 125 ah AGM batteries with a MPPT charge controller.

It all fits on the roof of my 2000 tacoma and I will be running a large norcold fridge freezer, battery chargers for cameras, computer (macbook pros are 85watts), lights and a fan.

I am debating hooking it up to the alternator or not (i do have an isolator in place from my last non solar system.) I think i can ditch the inverter but its sure nice to be able to have 115v power. I can turn on the inverter with a wireless remote from inside the cab. The battery compartment does not really need to be accessed.

I live up in aspen if you are in the area, this is a list of everything i got from amazon (free shipping on batteries and solar panels that turned out to be a HUGE savings)

I have added a note to each product but if you have any questions let me know. My solar shopping list

t

14209624598_1b85f9f903_b.jpg

14209623648_c36551c988_b.jpg

Holy smokes. You do awesome work! You must be like one of the superb engineers I get to work with...

I'd love to see that set-up. I may be in Glenwood 4th of July weekend and would sure like to swing down to Aspen and buy you lunch for a complete overview (if you're in town of course).

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Really, there isn't much to it.

I put a 100w panel on top of my camper about a year ago, & haven't hooked the camper to the truck (electrically) since. The cables are in place, I just haven't needed to connect them.

The electrical load is relatively small (ARB fridge, LED lights, vent fan, battery chargers for phones/cameras/lap top/etc), so the 100w panel & single deep cycle AGM battery has no trouble keeping up with the demand.

This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking...

And I assume you're loving the ARB?

trailscape

Explorer
The Renogy 100w panel has been working great for me. I used a set of adhesive "feet" to mount the panel to my topper. They have held no problems well over a year now. I'm running the smallest ARB fridge off an Optima Yellowtop mounted in the bed. No issues going on two years straight with this setup. I like the Morningstar sunsaver solar controller. It's a solid nicely built unit and I've had good luck with them.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The Renogy 100w panel has been working great for me. I used a set of adhesive "feet" to mount the panel to my topper. They have held no problems well over a year now. I'm running the smallest ARB fridge off an Optima Yellowtop mounted in the bed. No issues going on two years straight with this setup. I like the Morningstar sunsaver solar controller. It's a solid nicely built unit and I've had good luck with them.

Thanks so much!

With the Renogy 100W panel being suggested by more than 1x respected forum member, I have gone ahead and purchased that. I got it bundled with a controller on Amazon at a good price. (Then it turned out I could apply credit card thank you points and darn near got it for free with free shipping-- lucky me :costumed-smiley-007). So far; so good.

Next up:
-deep cycle battery
-fridge
-fan (maybe a system with a fan on one side and a vent on the other that creates internal pressure to reduce dust? perhaps incorporated with a thermal switch so it only comes on at say 75 degrees? or am I way over-thinkin' things now?)
-outlets

Please suggest away...

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I've tried numerous creative options for a fan and they really just haven't worked all that well. My fiberglass topper has typically been running upwards of 118 in the Colorado sun lately. I'd highly suggest spending the money on a Fan-Tastic RV vent. They have been highly praised by owners. I think you will be happy with the Renogy panel. It's been through two winters, several recent hail storms and lots of miles.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I've tried numerous creative options for a fan and they really just haven't worked all that well. My fiberglass topper has typically been running upwards of 118 in the Colorado sun lately. I'd highly suggest spending the money on a Fan-Tastic RV vent. They have been highly praised by owners. I think you will be happy with the Renogy panel. It's been through two winters, several recent hail storms and lots of miles.

Check out the fans that these guys have as an option:
http://www.caravancamper.com/options/

I wonder how well that would work and where just the fan unit can be obtained?

Thanks for the tip on the Fan-Tastic. Sounds great for an RV; I'm dubious about a topper.

I know what you mean about those fiberglass shells. The black one on my black T-100 was a freaking scorcher. Was terrible for a Husky.

(BTW, I still have that topper if anyone needs one cheap. Works on T-100s and 1st gen tundras. First thing I'd do is paint it white with marine paint.)

The white aluminum Unicover is already proving to be great in terms of less heat build-up. But if I have a solar system going in I'd like to be able to do some fairly good air flow via the right system. My pooch rides in style! This would be good for a fridge back there too...

Thanks again for the tip on the Renogy. I'm looking forward to it. The kit comes with mounts too; but I kinda' like the ones you suggested.

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
What sort of topper do you have from the T-100? Mines a white cab high model, but it's kind of in rough shape and tends to leak a lot.

I was interested in the caravan campers for a while but I was quoted over 6k for one with the right features.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
^ I have an ARE. Higher than normal top. Sliding window in front. Two sliding side windows with screens.

Overall in good shape. Interior grey carpet lining looks great. New gas props last December. 3rd brake light works great. Glass is all fine. Exterior black paint has seen too much Colorado UV so needs to be painted. Fiberglass is all sound. It could use a new rubber flapper thingy in back on the rear door. I have locks and key which work. Honestly, it's not the most secure thing but locks do keep honest people honest. Doesn't leak a drop. One screen could use a patch or replace.

I kept it when I swapped the T-100 for the Tundra since it fit fine and I had to have a cap from day #1. For now, I've been hanging onto it in case the Unicover did not work out (but it appears that it will). The plan was to prep it and paint it with marine white paint. If you are interested I'm sure I could work you out a sweetheart deal just to create some space. As things have played out, it's now a headache and I'd just as soon depart with it for the room.

I do believe in the concept of "pay it forward" :)... PM me with an e-mail address if you want some pics to review.

Last edited:

ethernectar

Adventurer
I have a '12 tundra with an ARE Utility Cap and installed one of the FanTastic fans. It worked great but keep in mind its made for an RV with some thickness to the ceiling. On the ARE it stuck up quite a bit, enough I had to remove it to park it in a garage when I moved.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Bump for an old thread! I'm entertaining the idea of solar power in my shell to power some LED's, fan, laptop/phone charger and maybe 1 or 2 other items for 2-3 nights a week.

Did you end up completing this project? how did it go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier