Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey Dendy take a look at Jeffs post about his bug issues. Right above this. Lets get this fixed please stat!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Donny, I fixed it just as you were messaging Dendy by working with my cable company. The ip address I had until just now is still locked on expo, but everything works fine with the new address I worked with the cable company to get.

But I'd be happy to work with Dendy or any other admin to show them the forum software bug that caused this so it doesn't trap anyone else.

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks Donny, I fixed it just as you were messaging Dendy by working with my cable company. The ip address I had until just now is still locked on expo, but everything works fine with the new address I worked with the cable company to get.

But I'd be happy to work with Dendy or any other admin to show them the forum software bug that caused this so it doesn't trap anyone else.

Glad to hear Jeff would have hated to see you not post anymore on here due to the issue and the lack of response. I am glad you fixed the issue yourself!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Popped a third slot off the mold this morning, four more to go.

ThreeSlots1_zpspipnpzye.jpg

ThreeSlots2_zps04k7119b.jpg

Lee_N

Sorry to bring up Indian Jeeps again but it looks like the Mahindra jeeps are coming to the US. Maybe they’ll bring some of the more desirable models, although not sure how they’re meeting US regulations.

http://www.roxoroffroad.com

Looks like it’s not street legal and is being sold as a UTV.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In January I started work on an overhead swing-down Molle panel to store gear above the roll bar in the cargo area. Here's the first post for that project: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2423503#post2423503. Just before I left for India I made a prototype panel, tested the fit in the JKU and LJ: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2429080#post2429080, and showed some sample configurations of gear mounted to the panel: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2429082#post2429082

Over the last few days I was able to get back to working on the project and I the mounting brackets and hardware. No drilling is required for installation. And it works will a hard top, a soft top or no top at all.

I made the JKU brackets first, next I'll do brackets for the LJ. I also want to test it in the 2dr JK and the TJ as well so I'll have to find Jeeps to test it in.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sorry to bring up Indian Jeeps again but it looks like the Mahindra jeeps are coming to the US. Maybe they’ll bring some of the more desirable models, although not sure how they’re meeting US regulations.

http://www.roxoroffroad.com

Looks like it’s not street legal and is being sold as a UTV.

The Roxor is a stripped down Mahindra Thar, I posted a few Thar photos from India. A Thar brochure:

TharDNA_zpsis21dck6.jpg

TharSpecs1_zpsbl35qb1s.jpg

TharSpecs2_zpsjeqc8htq.jpg

Too bad we can't get the full version here.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Testing the overhead Molle panel today with various gear configurations. First, a 2-gallon Rotopax and a few Molle pouches:

Here's the rear view with the panel stowed, nothing is visible because it's above the bottom of the roll bar...

RearView1_zps0yxvmibo.jpg

A few test configurations...

From the video above, a 2-gallon Rotopax and a few Molle pouches. Two 2-gallon or one 4-gallon Rotopax will fit but I only have the one 2-gallon here.

PanelRotopaxMolle_zpsrtatznv9.jpg

Two 10-liter (2.5 gallon) Rubicans:

PanelTwoRubicans_zpssfetnse9.jpg

One 20-liter (5 gallon) Rubican. A 4-gallon Rotopax is slightly smaller than this one so there would probably be room for some Molle pouches on each end.

Panel5GalRubican_zpsbaifwbgt.jpg

Two folding camp chairs, secured with large Velcro straps.

PanelCampChairs_zpsba7f5oj7.jpg

A HiLift and a small shovel. The shovel is secured with QuickFist clamps; the HiLift is mounted on studs in holes specificially designed into the panel for Hilifts.

PanelHiLiftAndShovel_zpszhg6tvci.jpg

I'll leave the HiLift and shovel up there for the next week or so to give it a good weight test.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My original plan was to make one overhead Molle panel and make two sets of mounting hardware for it - one set for the JKU and one set for the LJ, and I'd swap the panel between Jeeps depending on where I needed it. The installation in the JKU worked out so well I don't want to remove it, so this morning I made a second panel for the LJ. I'll make the LJ mounting hardware over the next week or so.

SecondMollePanel_zps6rzsnu0d.jpg

Report on drive-testing the panel in the JKU - I've got the HiLift and shovel mounted on the panel and I've been driving around the potholed roads of my town this morning. There's no rattling from the panel itself, although some parts of the jack itself are rattling, that would happen no matter how the jack were mounted. Panel is very solid, the weight of the jack and shovel if well supported.

Zeep

Adventurer
Congrat's on the magazine mention. Between these forums, and other articles, your handywork is becoming known the world over!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Congrat's on the magazine mention. Between these forums, and other articles, your handywork is becoming known the world over!
I have no idea what caused the magazine mention. I had nothing to do with it, and I doubt MORryde sent an announcement to the magazine because the MORryde version of the kitchen won't be seen until about two weeks from now (the photo is of my prototype). It could be from SEMA, but that was about 3 months ago. I have no idea, but I'm glad people think the Trail Kitchen is newsworthy enough to comment on.

In two weeks I'm driving to Easter Jeep Safari and on my way through Indiana I'll be stopping at MORryde and picking up a preproduction version of the Trail Kitchen and a hopefully final version of the Overland Rack, both to be on display at the EJS Vendor Expo. I'll post photos of both then. Also picking up a production set of the HD door hinges, those will be available for sale in about a week.

Jurfie

Adventurer
One 20-liter (5 gallon) Rubican. A 4-gallon Rotopax is slightly smaller than this one so there would probably be room for some Molle pouches on each end.

Panel5GalRubican_zpsbaifwbgt.jpg

Neat way to do a gravity-fed sink (for those who might not want the electric pump version).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Neat way to do a gravity-fed sink (for those who might not want the electric pump version).

That was actually the original inspiration for the project, but as I got into the design process I decided it could be a much more general solution than just carrying the water supply.

devlooper

I am so excited to see this drop down storage. I've wanted something to put there, but didn't want to pay the absurd prices for similar products. When I saw you taking a stab at this, I became ecstatic.

I'll be closely following this and when it hits the market this will be on my "short list" of things to buy.

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into these sort of things.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior