Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished sewing a prototype "Kitchen Keeper". It looks and carries like a tote bag and opens into a panel containing a place for cutlery/utensils and pockets for condiments/kitchen supplies:

The pockets are designed for common condiments and supplies, and the flaps over the pockets are designed to tuck in behind the contents of the pocket for easy access, I'm demonstrating that in the video above.

In the video it's hanging on the hardtop drip rail, but the carrying handles are designed to be used to hang it from roof racks (center photo below) or rods on awnings or tents, and it can also hang using suction cups on windows or smooth metal surfaces (right photo).

KitchenKeeperAttachments_zpsezgk4dgw.jpg

I've got a couple of small tweaks I'll make to the design before putting it in use. I think it'll be a very nice addition to my Trail Kitchen setup.

MattJ

Adventurer
Hey Jeff - just thought of a great idea (at least I think so ;))! It popped into my head this morning when brainstorming about how to upgrade my ever-growing collection of first aid kits in the Jeep. I travel a lot to remote areas, often with kids, so I think about this often.

I'm convinced that someone with your talents could design and sew a large first-aid kit that attaches via molle straps to the MORryde drop-down panel in the top of the cargo area that you designed. The kit would be the size of a large binder, and opens like one. The kit would open upward and toward the rear, with the top half flipping back to hang downward into the cargo area for easy access. And of course, it could be removed via the molle straps for easy transport, if needed. It would be so easy to use this kit, compared to the typical approach of having to remove a kit from the Jeep, lay it on the hood or ground, rummage through it and hope you quickly see what you're looking for. This could be a perfect product for Overland Outfitters, and I'd be the first to buy one!

Make sense? If not, I can try to draw a sketch. Just don't laugh at it. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Funny you should mention that, take a look at what's on my sewing table right now... alongside a production first aid bag I designed for Overland Outfitters last year are several yards of heavy cotton duck fabric and a bunch of red cross emblems for my next project.

Materials_zps5oxipxpc.jpg

The Kitchen Keeper project I recently finished and posted about is part of a set of three new ideas I'm working on, all based on a portfolio design that opens for hanging. The Kitchen Keeper was the first; the next two include a "Camper Girl" bag, it'll open the same way and hang and have a mirror mounted in it plus compartments specifically designed to fit common toiletries, cosmetics and other items that a Camper Girl wouldn't want to be without. And the third one is a first aid kit, again with a portfolio design that can hang or lay on the ground next to the injured person. It's intended to be a step above a standard first aid kit, something that a trail First Responder might find useful.

When you posted your idea I was in the process of drafting a post to see if there are any First Responders out there that want to work with me on the final design. I've got several "Camper Girls" working with me on the final design of that bag but until now I haven't put out the word looking for First Responders.

I'm doing the First Responder bag for Overland Outfitters (they sent me the red canvas and the red cross emblems to use for prototyping) and I've suggested to them that they provide a final bag to a First Responder who participates in the final design.

My First Reponder bag project isn't exactly what you're suggesting, but it could hang down from the drop-down Molle panel and I'll make sure the straps that are part of the design work for that location.

OregonJKU

Hi Jeff, As I mentioned previously we really liked your tailgate table, especially when you added a molle panel. So, we purchased the Outback Adventures tailgate table (and Cutlery Keeper), and we added the Bestop tailgate organizer that we had previously installed on the tailgate. We're quite happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• 20200818_151116_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200818_151116_copy_1008x756.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200818_151238_HDR_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200818_151238_HDR_copy_1008x756.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 47

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, As I mentioned previously we really liked your tailgate table, especially when you added a molle panel. So, we purchased the Outback Adventures tailgate table (and Cutlery Keeper), and we added the Bestop tailgate organizer that we had previously installed on the tailgate. We're quite happy with the way it turned out.
Looks great! The installation of the Bestop organizer is very well done. I'll pass along a link to the folks at Overland Outfitters, I'm sure they'll be very happy to see your installation.

OregonJKU

Looks great! The installation of the Bestop organizer is very well done. I'll pass along a link to the folks at Overland Outfitters, I'm sure they'll be very happy to see your installation.
Thank you, and thank you for all of your wonderful ideas! Next up for us is to replace the tailgate grill with sheet metal so we can mount a 16oz propane canister.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you, and thank you for all of your wonderful ideas! Next up for us is to replace the tailgate grill with sheet metal so we can mount a 16oz propane canister.
I hadn't thought about hanging a propane tank there, that sounds like a good idea. I've still got the test tailgate on my workbench from making the tailgate grille panel so I held a propane tank in place to see how it might fit:

16ozPropane_zpsnlhx8kgu.jpg

Looks like it'll be a good fit there. In the photo I'm holding it in front of the Molle panel; I think a Molle pouch for it would work great. Give me a few days and I'll sew one, it'll be a derivation of the one I made a few weeks ago for fire extinguishers. I'd do the closure to allow the hose to be connected, that's not a requirement for a fire extinguisher but it is for a propane tank.

1595679977899-png.600747

BTW a company has told me they want to put the tailgate grille panel and the related Molle overlay in production.

OregonJKU

I hadn't thought about hanging a propane tank there, that sounds like a good idea. I've still got the test tailgate on my workbench from making the tailgate grille panel so I held a propane tank in place to see how it might fit:

16ozPropane_zpsnlhx8kgu.jpg

Looks like it'll be a good fit there. In the photo I'm holding it in front of the Molle panel; I think a Molle pouch for it would work great. Give me a few days and I'll sew one, it'll be a derivation of the one I made a few weeks ago for fire extinguishers. I'd do the closure to allow the hose to be connected, that's not a requirement for a fire extinguisher but it is for a propane tank.

1595679977899-png.600747

BTW a company has told me they want to put the tailgate grille panel and the related Molle overlay in production.
We got a bicycle bottle holder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z89TWRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and attached magnets.

Attachments

• 20200821_182437_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20200821_182437_copy_756x1008.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200821_182425_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20200821_182425_copy_756x1008.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 34

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's my proposal for a 16oz. propane cylinder, I sewed a quick prototype this morning. It can mount on Molle (first two photos) or be strapped on a roll bar.

PropaneOnMolle1_zps0ej7ocx9.jpg

PropaneOnMolle2_zpswsyldphf.jpg

PropaneOnRollBar_zpsskal7mhx.jpg

OregonJKU

Nice find. Some testing is in order though, in my experience magnets will slide out of place on rough roads and trails. If it does slide you can always bolt it to a tailgate grille panel.
Agree, but our plan is not to store the propane canister in that location. We would put the canister there when needed. It would be an easy setup.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't mind having a 16 oz. propane tank in the Jeep so what I'll probably do is use this holder and a 16 oz. when I'm on an outing where 16 oz. is enough propane, and for longer expeditions I'll carry the larger tank on the back.

PropaneOnJK1_zpsurpbling.jpg

PropaneJK2_zpsvgifoacb.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I designed the quick install/remove winch mounts for my Jeeps last year I designed the wiring so that it could serve as jumper cables - any of my Jeeps can jump any of the others just by plugging the winch leads from each Jeep to the other Jeep.

I needed to use the winch cables for the first time today to jump the JK. The JK hasn't been driven in 4 or 5 days and when it was last used a light on an unswitched circuit was left on inadvertantly so when I went to start it today the battery was drained to the point where it wouldn't start the Jeep. All I had to do was open the hoods, pull the winch cables that are always connected to the batteries across, plug them together, start the LJ and then start the JK. Once the JK was started I unplugged them, coiled hte cables back up into their respective engine compartments and let the JK run a while to recharge its battery. Very convenient.

1598738280252.png

These cables actually work better than traditional clamp-type jumper cables. Because they're permanently wired the the battery and because the connect with a high-current Anderson connector, they transfer more power than a typical jumper cable could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz