Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It would be nice to combine my tire plug kit with compressor in one Mary Poppins bag. What are the dimensions of that inside pocket?
This is what I've got in that pocket, is there anything else you need to add to the pocket? There's also another inside pocket and tow on the outside so probably you can carry whatever you might need.

TireRepairSupplies.jpg

bitbckt

I was thinking I would slide the whole blow-molded case in there, but no, that’s the sum total of it outside of the case.

Alloy

This is what I've got in that pocket, is there anything else you need to add to the pocket? There's also another inside pocket and tow on the outside so probably you can carry whatever you might need.

TireRepairSupplies.jpg
How about side cutters to trim the plug off.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It was a beautiful day today so after I towed the JK home from the dealer (they replaced the starter) and washed the road salt off of it I was able to set up the new canopy to finalize a few remaining details.

CanopyTest1a.jpg

CanopyTest1b.jpg

CanopyTest1c.jpg

CanopyTest1f.jpg

CanopyTest1e.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In all of these photos the canopy is strapped to the crossbar of my roof rack, but a roof rack isn't required - it can be secured to the Jeep the same way the prototype I made with the HF tarp was secured; straps down to the tub rail, so it can work with a bare hardtop or a soft top or with a roof rack. A few more photos...

CanopyTest1d.jpg

At 6 1/2', the canopy is wider than the Jeep so it can provide some shelter while cooking at the Trail Kitchen.

CanopyTest1g.jpg

One of the things my new Cricut can do is make infusible in transfers. It's basically iron-on ink, and under heat the ink melts and infuses into the fabric - dyes it permanently. Had to test that capability on this canopy :)

CanopyTest1h.jpg

These next two aren't part of the canopy project but I designed the canopy so it could support these bags...

The Kitchen Keeper is a handy way to carry, store and access cutlery, utensils and condiments in the kitchen.

KitchenKeeper1(1).jpg

And the Camp Cabinet vanity bag is a good place for your morning routine. It's got a real glass mirror (I caught myself in the photo on purpose), places for 8 TSA-sized bottles, pockets for whatever else you need and a handy table.

CampCabinet1(1).jpg

In the photo above you can see the black Velcro that runs along the bottom of three sides of the canvas; that's for attaching future side walls.

I've got a few details to finish up on the hardware and a minor tweak or two to the fit of the canvas, but the canopy is pretty much done. Of course I'll have to sew a storage bag for it too.

MattJ

Adventurer
Jeff - there's some guy with a camera stalking your Jeep! Stealing your designs!

:) Great photoshoot - can you post a picture of the awning packed and stowed? I bet it packs up small. Also, I've read a few articles that suggest these type of replacement valves as an essential item for every off-road tire repair kit (although I've never had to use them, thankfully, so I can't vouch for how well they work).

https://www.colbyvalve.com/

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff - there's some guy with a camera stalking your Jeep! Stealing your designs!

:) Great photoshoot - can you post a picture of the awning packed and stowed? I bet it packs up small. Also, I've read a few articles that suggest these type of replacement valves as an essential item for every off-road tire repair kit (although I've never had to use them, thankfully, so I can't vouch for how well they work).

https://www.colbyvalve.com/
Matt,
It does pack up pretty small, as soon as I sew a bag to put the packed-up canopy in I'll post pics, I hope to have time to sew that tomorrow.

Hadn't seen those tire valves before, I'll have to add a few to my kit. Thanks for posting them.
j

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I hope to have time today to sew a storage bag for the new canopy so I'm breaking everything down.

The center bows come apart like ordinary tent poles, they have elastic through the center so they stay in one piece. The ends slip into sockets in the side poles.

MiddleBows.jpg

PartsBrokenDown.jpg

Front to back in the photo above:
  • the side poles are over 6' long and come apart in the middle
  • the center bows come apart as shown in the first photo
  • the end bows are 6 1/2' long and were made by extending factory soft top bows, they hinge in the middle with factory Sunrider hinges
  • the vertical poles also come apart in the middle. There are four of them so the canopy can be set up to stand alone without connecting to the Jeep. Depending on how the canopy is set up, two are required; a third is optional and four are used for standalone erection.

Everything rolls up in the canvas and will slip into a storage bag.

It is possible to leave the canvas connected to the end bows to save time when erecting the canopy but I didn't do that for this photo because all of the parts wouldn't be clearly visible as they are above.

Not shown are some paracord guy lines and stakes for holding the canopy down in the wind. Those will go in a pocket sewn on the storage bag.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll sew the bag using the canvas from a military surplus tarp. All of the parts are rolled up inside the canopy canvas and sitting inside the fabric; the bag will be tailored from this fabric to be just large enough to hold everything, it's larger than needed in the photo.

TarpFabric.jpg

I will probably sew it with the military lettering on the outside, I think the lettering is a nice touch.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm working my way through the Overland Outfitters preproduction samples that arrived the other day. I've been asked to verify that they translated the design correctly into a production version, review any changes (or errors) they made and send them comments.

The First Responder bag; in this photo my prototype is on the left; their bag has a very nice shoulder strap.

FirstResponderSample1a.jpg

Both hanging; mine is on the right in this photo. Theirs is very faithful to the original design. One thing I might suggest to them is that the table might not be necessary even though it was part of my prototype. I don't think the typical use of this bag will require the table - what are your thoughts?

FirstResponderSample1b(1).jpg

Next is the Camp Cabinet a.k.a. vanity bag. The name Camp Cabinet came from Quadratec, on a call some time ago when the OO person was showing this bag to the Quadratec category manager the OO person said they hadn't decided on a name yet and the QT person suggested Camp Cabinet.

My prototype is the one with the "Keep Calm and Camp On" patch:

CamperGirlSample1.jpg

This one is also faithful to the original design. I do think the table will be used a lot with this bag. It might be carried to a common shower room and hung up for use there, or hung on a tent or a tree for morning or evening preparations.

CamperGirlSample1a.jpg

And the Kitchen Keeper. I had very few comments on this one, it's very close to the prototype and there was very little for me to comment on.

KitchenKeeperSample.jpg

Also included in the box of preproduction samples I received the other day were two Tailgate Molle Accessory Panels. I checked one out on a test tailgate:

TAPSample1a.jpg

I posted an item in the Land Rover Ideas for Jeeps thread this morning about fire extinguishers and I covered this panel there so I won't repeat all of what I posted about it, you can check it out here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-45#post-2903161

Still have to review the JK door pocket panels, I'll post about those when I do.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I installed the preproduction sample door pocket panels in the JKU this afternoon.

On the driver's side, I installed one with pockets. It's got a large pocket with a flap, a smaller pocket that's nice for a phone, and a larger map pocket towards the back which is large enough to hold books too.

PocketPanelDriver1.jpg

PocketPanelDriver2.jpg

On the passenger side I installed the Molle version. It's got the same map pocket, in these photos it's holding a map and a tablet (actually it's a fake tablet I use for photos, I don't own a real tablet).

MollePanelPsgr1.jpg

A variety of things on the Molle panel. A military surplus pouch:

MollePanelPsgrMollePouch.jpg

A water bottle pouch:

MollePanelPsgrWaterBottle.jpg

An Overland Outfitters Grab & Go First Aid bag:

MollePanelPsgrFirstAid.jpg

MollePanelPsgr2.jpg

They did a nice job, the fit is excellent.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've sent my feedback on the sample compressor bag to the company; I expect they'll implement the minor tweaks I suggested.

Sometimes companies ask me to take photos of products installed in one of my Jeeps, but that's not necessary with a product like this so they'll do their own studio photography of the final product, but they did ask me to take a few photos and write a draft of the instructions for mounting the compressor permanently in the bag. Like other bags, the compressor can just be thrown in this bag and removed for use, but this bag is designed so the compressor can stay in the bag during use. Since I already did that in the prototype bag it was easier for me to take the photos and draft instructions than it would be for them, so I did this:

CompressorBagInstructions.jpg

They'll edit and format it to their liking but the basics are there.

jgaz

Adventurer
I'm working my way through the Overland Outfitters preproduction samples that arrived the other day. I've been asked to verify that they translated the design correctly into a production version, review any changes (or errors) they made and send them comments.

The First Responder bag; in this photo my prototype is on the left; their bag has a very nice shoulder strap.

FirstResponderSample1a.jpg

Both hanging; mine is on the right in this photo. Theirs is very faithful to the original design. One thing I might suggest to them is that the table might not be necessary even though it was part of my prototype. I don't think the typical use of this bag will require the table - what are your thoughts?

FirstResponderSample1b(1).jpg

Next is the Camp Cabinet a.k.a. vanity bag. The name Camp Cabinet came from Quadratec, on a call some time ago when the OO person was showing this bag to the Quadratec category manager the OO person said they hadn't decided on a name yet and the QT person suggested Camp Cabinet.

My prototype is the one with the "Keep Calm and Camp On" patch:

CamperGirlSample1.jpg

This one is also faithful to the original design. I do think the table will be used a lot with this bag. It might be carried to a common shower room and hung up for use there, or hung on a tent or a tree for morning or evening preparations.

CamperGirlSample1a.jpg

And the Kitchen Keeper. I had very few comments on this one, it's very close to the prototype and there was very little for me to comment on.

KitchenKeeperSample.jpg

Also included in the box of preproduction samples I received the other day were two Tailgate Molle Accessory Panels. I checked one out on a test tailgate:

TAPSample1a.jpg

I posted an item in the Land Rover Ideas for Jeeps thread this morning about fire extinguishers and I covered this panel there so I won't repeat all of what I posted about it, you can check it out here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-45#post-2903161

Still have to review the JK door pocket panels, I'll post about those when I do.
I agree that the table isn‘t really required on the first aid kit. Maybe substitute an additional thin, zippered pocket? On the other two designs I can see the table being an asset.
Good looking products,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz