Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

akpostal

Adventurer
GridPanel_zpscmpiptg2.jpg

I like the tool mount idea, ax, shovel, machete.

The door mount would have more room for tools, but your front fender mount could also be used to mount tools and straps as well.

An ammo can (depending on whats in it) or Rubican/Rotopax might be a little heavy for swing weight opening the door. Still a good idea.

I can see it would mount to the hinges but how would it mount to the other side of the door without drilling and bolting?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Big fan!
I'm 20 mins away from Boston. If you are coming here again, let me know! i'd love meeting you(and the jeep)

Thanks. I'm nobody special to meet but many people seem to like to look over my Jeeps, although on this last trip the trailer got more attention than the JK Safari - several people stopped by when we were loading to ask about it.

If I plan a trip to Boston that has time for a get-together I'll let you know, I get there every couple of months but usually the kids keep me busy helping them with various things - driving them places, repairing things for them, etc.

I have the Jerry can holders(http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-build-thread-2013-JKUR?p=1928883#post1928883)
I love the door grid. The only thing that the driver needs to be alert about is things getting snagged in there on the trail. Especially branches.

Many of the things one would likely put on there - military-style shovel, axe, Rubican/Rotopax wouldn't stick out past the fenders, so if the fenders didn't hit an obstacle then whatever's on the grid shouldn't either. Wider things, like ammo cans, would stick out past the fenders so you might need to be aware of your surroundings if you had something like that mounted.

I like the tool mount idea, ax, shovel, machete.

The door mount would have more room for tools, but your front fender mount could also be used to mount tools and straps as well.

An ammo can (depending on whats in it) or Rubican/Rotopax might be a little heavy for swing weight opening the door. Still a good idea.

I can see it would mount to the hinges but how would it mount to the other side of the door without drilling and bolting?

A 10 liter (2.5 gallon) Rotopax full of water wouldn't tax the hinges.

When (if) I build a proof-of-concept unit, I'll show how it mounts to the rear of the door without drilling ;).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm on the way to Colorado for some trail time; today on my way through Indiana I stopped at MORryde in Elkhart and picked up a preproduction set 8 of the new HD Door Hinges (a full set for a JKU) for testing. While there I snapped this cell phone shot of a set on one of their test Jeeps. Hardware isn't final, this set is installed with hex-head stainless bolts but may do blackened stainless button head Allen screws for production.

TestJeep1_zpsrok4xr6i.jpg

Also took a look at their work-in-progress on the parts for the Ovlerand Rack. Very nice.

MRPrototypeParts1_zpswxtbezb0.jpg

I posted photos and a video of my prototype Overland Rack a few months ago, here's one again...

OverlandRack1_zpskstgm8jq.jpg

They say the way to show both the Overland Rack and the Slide-out Kitchen at SEMA in November.

akpostal

Adventurer
A 10 liter (2.5 gallon) Rotopax full of water wouldn't tax the hinges.

When (if) I build a proof-of-concept unit, I'll show how it mounts to the rear of the door without drilling ;).

I dont doubt the hinges could handle a a 10L can or bigger, its the swing weight opening and closing the door.

I hope you do a proof of concept for this idea.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I dont doubt the hinges could handle a a 10L can or bigger, its the swing weight opening and closing the door.

I hope you do a proof of concept for this idea.

Lots of people doubted I could make a modular hardtop that stood up to the rigors of the trail, or make a JK side mount that attaches with 3 bolts that would be sturdy enough to support a full 5-gallon jerry can during trail abuse, or convert a factory hardtop to modular so that it's as strong if not stronger than an unmodified top.... but maybe I'll be wrong about this one, that's what proof-of-concept builds are for.

BTW I wouldn't be the first one to mount a container on the door hinges, there's already a commercial product out there: http://dixie4wheeldrive.com/rotopax_door_mount, but mine would be stronger because it's got more mounting points ;).

akpostal

Adventurer
Im not doubting the idea, its just the extra weight on the door with 2.5-5 gallons of water or gas would annoy me.

Mounting tools to the door would be great.

I like your concept better then Dixie because it has more options.

ETA: The fender mounts for gas cans work great.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Im not doubting the idea, its just the extra weight on the door with 2.5-5 gallons of water or gas would annoy me.

Mounting tools would be great.

I like your concept better then Dixie because it has more options.

Whether it works or not is one thing, whether it's annoying if it does work is a whole 'nother thing :).

akpostal

Adventurer
Again I dont doubt itll work, I like the idea and hope you do a proof of concept. Ild be happy to test it out if you do.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the stops I always make on my way to Colorado is the huge Iowa 80 truck stop ("Worlds Largest", or so they say). Stopped there today and picked up two folding steps to build a prototype with the new HD hinges. They're pictured here with one of the preproduction hinges:

Steps1_zpsev9n5ibm.jpg

There are two ways I can mount them - one way is to make a mounting bracket so that it can hold either one step...

DoorHingeStepIdea_zpsra4whkcz.jpg

... or two:

DoorHingeStepIdea2_zpsup1sffgl.jpg

And the bracket can be designed so that it can also mount on the HD tailgate hinges:

TailgateHingeStep_zpspqqxtmcn.jpg

Or, with a simple adapter plate (not shown), they could be mounted directly to the hinge, eliminating the bar between the hinges.

Steps2_zpspybotygv.jpg

Opinions on either approach welcome.

BradS

I really like the idea of the step attaching directly to the hinge. Ideally they would bolt horizontally and match up to the dimensions of the hinge itself instead of vertically as they show in your pictures. I realize that would be a major redesign of the step though. But again, a great idea. Would really help with setting up the RTT.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really like the idea of the step attaching directly to the hinge. Ideally they would bolt horizontally and match up to the dimensions of the hinge itself instead of vertically as they show in your pictures. I realize that would be a major redesign of the step though. But again, a great idea. Would really help with setting up the RTT.

Thanks for the input.

I could design custom folding steps for this application, but I'm trying to make these very affordable. I picked up these steps retail for $10.99 each, and the necessary adapter plate and nut plate to mount a step to a hinge would be very simple laser-cut pieces of steel. With the parts list being just the step, two inexpensive laser-cut pieces of steel and a few bolts and nuts, these could be very affordable. The adapter plate design will make the step mounted to the hinge look better that it does in the photo I posted, all I did for that photo was pose the step on the hinge.

When I get the adapter plate made and installed, you can let me know how you think they look and if you think adding to the cost by doing a custom step would be worthwhile.

Another reason I chose these steps is because they're large enough to be very easy to climb on. The steps on the market for the factory hinges that I'm aware of have a small bent loop of steel as a step which has a much smaller "footprint" than these. If you don't have sturdy soles on your shoes, those can be a bit uncomfortable to stand on.

BTW these steps are available in chrome, stainless and zinc-plated in addition to the black ones I bought.

akpostal

Adventurer
Any idea to making the steps on the hinges to work with a RTT like this so you dont need an external/extra ladder? The hinges and your door grid idea could work together here.

attachment.php

I have no interest in a RTT but the idea popped into my head.

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Any idea to making the steps on the hinges work with a RTT like this? The hinges and your door grid idea could work together here.

attachment.php

I have no interest in a RTT but the idea popped into my head.

there isn't a hinge anywhere near that tent's door opening, you would have to turn the tent around and mount it the opposite way its designed to be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat

Members online