Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
that I feel like gets picked up in a heartbeat, is your rotopax full? I can see them wanting to know that if it's mounted in your sample gear

At the moment the Rotopax is empty. But if you're concerned about weight, it's not a problem - I drove around all last week with a HiLift and the shovel up there and not a peep out of the rack. The jack weighs roughly as much as two full 2-gallon Rotopax containers. Here's the panel in the open position with the jack on it...

PanelHiLiftAndShovel_zpszhg6tvci.jpg

I've already shown the design to a company that I thought might be interested in manufacturing it and they were very excited about it. They're also in the meeting tomorrow.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tomorrow I'm picking up a preproduction Trail Kitchen at MORryde and the other day they sent me some preview photos. It's based on my design and they've added a number of improvements that I like. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to show these photos, but since the kitchen will be on display next week at the Vendor Expo at Easter Jeep Safari, I'll show a sneak preview here...

TrailKitchenSneakPreview3_zpsawdxk6bf.jpg

I'll show more photos next week from EJS and if I get a chance I'll do a video showing how it deploys and stows.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I certainly look forward to the Trail Kitchen and hope the Overhead Molle panel makes it to production. Great stuff.

Thank you.

MORryde told me yesterday they're shooting for a late spring release of the Trail Kitchen.

Based on the meetings I had over the past two days it seems very likely that the Overhead Molle panel will also make it into production.

rubicon91

Explorer
Tomorrow I'm picking up a preproduction Trail Kitchen at MORryde and the other day they sent me some preview photos. It's based on my design and they've added a number of improvements that I like. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to show these photos, but since the kitchen will be on display next week at the Vendor Expo at Easter Jeep Safari, I'll show a sneak preview here...

TrailKitchenSneakPreview3_zpsawdxk6bf.jpg

I'll show more photos next week from EJS and if I get a chance I'll do a video showing how it deploys and stows.
Oh wow that looks great. Can't wait to see the photos you post next week Jeff. Safe travels out to Moab!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh wow that looks great. Can't wait to see the photos you post next week Jeff. Safe travels out to Moab!

Thanks Donny! And thanks again for reviewing my prototype so long ago, I really value your camping expertise (which seems to be getting greater every weekend - you're going to wear out your URSA Minor if you're not careful :)).

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks Donny! And thanks again for reviewing my prototype so long ago, I really value your camping expertise (which seems to be getting greater every weekend - you're going to wear out your URSA Minor if you're not careful :)).
Ha I am heading to Ocala this weekend for another trip and then that is all that is planned at the moment.

cc250ab5fa6e28e1686f7c85a41c6135.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Based on the meetings I had over the past two days it seems very likely that the Overhead Molle panel will also make it into production.

Any mention of LJ version? Or possible purchase of the necessary JK components to adapt it to an LJ?
Nice job on the Trail Kitchen!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any mention of LJ version? Or possible purchase of the necessary JK components to adapt it to an LJ?

The main topics of the meeting were the JK/JKU, the JL/JLU, and the overlanding market, we really didn't have time to get to the LJ/TJ although I have sent the company a link to the video of the Overhead Molle panel in operation in the LJ.

If the LJ version doesn't get to market I will make instructions available explaining how to mount the JKU Overhead Molle panel in the LJ when the JKU version comes on the market so people can buy the JKU version and adapt it to their LJ.

I will continue to design TJ/LJ versions of products where TJ/LJ versions are appropriate, if only for use on my LJ, and if they don't get into production I'll help people adapt the JK/JKU versions if possible.

Nice job on the Trail Kitchen!

Thank you, I'll pass it on to the engineers at the company. They did a very nice job converting my prototype to a production product and they've improved some things along the way.

I'm looking forward to getting their unit home - I'll be implementing the sink/sink pump option to go along with their design so they can get that option into production ASAP.

I've got a meeting with one of the big Jeep catalog companies tomorrow and I plan to show them the Overhead Molle panel so today I outfitted it with a sampling of gear... a 2-gallon Rotopax, a couple of Molle pouches and a folding shovel. Stowed, everything disappears...

MeetingConfig_zpse7hq16jc.jpg

I had really wanted to take advantage of that space as well with some type of shelf as you've executed. I went with this from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nexel-Shel...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I don't think I'd ever be able to match the basics and shipped to my door that price any other way. I've flipped it upside down so the lip faces up to secure items from slipping off. Of course I didn't bother with the nice lowering lever you have.

Thought I'd share as the 54" x 18" is very near a perfect fit for that space.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been in Moab at Easter Jeep Safari all week but haven't posted any pictures yet because I've been very busy with trails and other things. Spent the last two days helping MORryde at the Vendor Expo, they're showing the Trail Kitchen, the Overland Rack and a few other new things. Reaction to both was very good and reaction to the kitchen was especially good. I'll post some detailed photos of it as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime, here are two - the Jeep belongs to Retrofit Offroad, the new MORryde products were installed on their Jeep as well as a bunch of Retrofit products. Since I had the kitchen there and there aren't many good food choices at the show, I cooked hotdogs for lunch for myself and the MORryde and Retrofit folks.

EJSLunch_zpsshwoy7tz.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The new HD Door Hinges on the Retrofit Offroad Jeep at the EJS Vendor Expo. Folding steps are mounted to both doors. The Retrofit Jeep also has the half door slider window kit and the hardtop slider window kit installed.

EJS1_zpsnrpyspva.jpg

EJS2_zpssdgj0wmo.jpg

EJS3_zpsn0qqfqeb.jpg

The door hinge HiLift mount, on a rear door:

EJS4_zpsin57bd3y.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I won't be posting any EJS trail photos of my Jeep in this thread because I was driving the LJ-8 all week, but you may get to see some trail photos soon... on Friday I ran into the editor of one of the major magazines, he was coming out of a store as I was going in. My Jeep was parked right in front of the door and he did a double-take - at first he thought it was a CJ, then maybe a YJ, then he figured out that underneath the CJ front clip and the Safari Cab it was an LJ. He liked it so much he asked me if I had time to do a photo shoot for a magazine feature, so of course I changed my scheduled trail plans for that. We did the photo shoot Saturday on Fins & Things, they shot photos as I navigated the Jeep over some of the obstacles on that trail. They also did lots of photos of the details of the Jeep, as well as a couple of videos of the Jeep on the obstacles. If I find out when the feature will run I'll let people know but more likely the magazine will just come out and others will see it before I do :).

rubicon91

Explorer
I won't be posting any EJS trail photos of my Jeep in this thread because I was driving the LJ-8 all week, but you may get to see some trail photos soon... on Friday I ran into the editor of one of the major magazines, he was coming out of a store as I was going in. My Jeep was parked right in front of the door and he did a double-take - at first he thought it was a CJ, then maybe a YJ, then he figured out that underneath the CJ front clip and the Safari Cab it was an LJ. He liked it so much he asked me if I had time to do a photo shoot for a magazine feature, so of course I changed my scheduled trail plans for that. We did the photo shoot Saturday on Fins & Things, they shot photos as I navigated the Jeep over some of the obstacles on that trail. They also did lots of photos of the details of the Jeep, as well as a couple of videos of the Jeep on the obstacles. If I find out when the feature will run I'll let people know but more likely the magazine will just come out and others will see it before I do :).
That is awesome Jeff. How was the trail kitchen received with the final design?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles