Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ild be happy to see how a 5L water pack would work on my rack and table, PM or email me who to ask.

You could ask Joel at Retrofit Offroad but I'm almost positive he doesn't have any on hand. I believe his first order was just the 10 liter containers he now sells, plus a few 20 liter containers to test; at the time he placed the order the manufacturer didn't have any 5 liter containers in stock so he didn't order any because he didn't want the entire order delayed waiting for a run of 5 liter containers to be done. As far as I know I have the only 5-liter container (pictured in my previous post), I got it from the manufacturer at SEMA along with the two red 10 liter containers to test.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
First task this morning was to pop the new rear flat fenders out of the molds. In this photo they're just out of the molds, untrimmed and the mold release hasn't been washed off yet.

FendersJustOutOfMolds_zpsbqgkhy36.jpg

I should have time to get them trimmed, washed and installed later today.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got the rear flat fenders trimmed and installed this afternoon. They still need to be buffed (and eventually I'll paint them), but just out of the molds I'm very happy with how they look and fit.

RearFlatfenderInstall1_zpsgs5bcvcd.jpg

RearFlatfenderInstall2_zpsrprurb2b.jpg

RearFlatfenderInstall3_zpsxxd0hr3a.jpg

RearFlatfenderInstall4_zpsncbhntwo.jpg

RearFlatfenderInstall5_zpsohsdmxfj.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like that look.

Thank you. I definitely like the look better than the bulbous factory fenders, and these will allow me to run 35's with no lift. I especially like the original Willys flatfender styling up front and the unique retro look overall. But now I'm rethinking my color choice - I was planning to paint them body color, because almost all original Willys MB, CJ2, CJ3, etc. had body color fenders, but these look very good in black. I like how black accent travels from the front fender to the rock rail to the rear fender to the rear bumper. I've got about a month to think about it because of upcoming travel, but body color or black?

thechadwick

Body color fender.jpg

So moral of the story, I don't know how to use photoshop. I have to say though, the body matched option looks extremely sharp to me. Keeps the willy's style more I think.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You beat me to it, I was going to do the same thing. Yours is pretty good, we'll go with it unless my edit looks better.

I was just spraying out a paint sample to see if I could get a good match. Unfortunately the factory paint is Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl (code PRP), which is extremely expensive ($350 per pint). I've asked my friends at Elmira Auto Paint to scan the Jeep with their computer and see if it comes up with a match in the PPG Omni line. It came up with a GM color that's a 9 on a scale of 10 match so I had them mix up a few ounces. I sprayed it on a piece of fiberglass this morning:

ColorSample1_zpsuqwxqvq9.jpg

It's impossible to tell from one photo, but at $90 per pint the Omni isn't a bad match, I've seen much worse matches done by body shops.

Almost every early Willys you see has fenders matching the body color, which is why my original plan was to paint these body color. But the black does look good.

SAM_1848.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! Can't wait to see this Jeep on 35" tires. :)

35's on this Jeep are going to take a lot of research. I don't want to run anything wider than a 75-width and at that diameter I'd rather run an 80; and I don't want heavy 10-ply or even 8-ply tires, or huge tread lugs that make a racket. I don't know if a 35 that meets my specs exists.

rubicon91

Explorer
Oh boy I cannot wait to see them here coming up. I think they look great. I am leaning towards color matched even though I am not for that with reg flares but Jeff yours are not reg so stick with the willys look and color match. Maybe I'll change the tune when I see them in person. Who knows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier