Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

rubicon91

Explorer
Outstanding keep it up Jeff. I love seeing this stuff. There is a page on FB I like and go look at from time to time called modified jeeps and open jeeps. It is in Mandi Dabwali India pretty cool what they do with some of those Jeeps over there. Also you should let us know when the article comes out for said magazine so we can check it out.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Outstanding keep it up Jeff. I love seeing this stuff. There is a page on FB I like and go look at from time to time called modified jeeps and open jeeps. It is in Mandi Dabwali India pretty cool what they do with some of those Jeeps over there. Also you should let us know when the article comes out for said magazine so we can check it out.

Will do.. Publication lead times are often six months or more, so it'll be a while. Here's a sample of what I do, this article is about the narrow gauge railway up to Darjeeling, I did it the last time I was in India. I typically do some history, lots of photos, a map and usually an illustration or two of a locomotive or other interesting feature of the railroad. Sorry this is just thumbnails, if someone wants to read the entire article send me an email and I'll reply with a PDF.

DarjeelingThumbnails_zpsmxlif5vc.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Also beating AEV (and Jeep) to market by many years is a Mahindra 4-door pickup. Caught this one outside a dairy, it was delivering cans of milk. It's got the plastic grille overlay but there's a CJ-style grille underneath.

Camper1_zpskzeo503i.jpg

It's called the Bolero Camper but I have no idea why that name because it's got nothing to do with camping. Here's a rear 3/4 view, this one also has the newer style squared-off front clip rather than the CJ-style grille.

Camper2_zpsy22hrg6s.jpg

This one's in the service of the Punjab Police, also with the newer style front clip:

Camper3_zpsw72zqej5.jpg

Lots of these in service in Rajasthan as well but I haven't posted any so far because all of the ones I saw there had the new Bolero front clip, the one above is in this post is the first older model with the CJ-style grille I've seen although it does have a the fiberglass/plastic grille cover in place.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Someone asked me if the half door slider kit can be used with Rugged Ridge uppers. Yes, this photo shows Savvy half doors and Rugged Ridge uppers with the Retrofit Offroad slider window kit installed.

SaavyRuggedRidge_zps4juaapgg.jpg

The slider kit is designed to work with either factory, Bestop or Rugged Ridge uppers. There's one kit for the factory uppers and a different kit for the Bestop/Rugged Ridge uppers, the only difference are a few brackets but the slider window is the same.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nothing says "get out of my way on the trail" like an armored SWAT Jeep... ;)

SWAT_zpscpczyvfm.jpg

Maybe I'll stop with the Indian Jeeps now :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm back from India now and I've started work again on the JL Grille Kit. The next task is to mold the intermediate parts to make the slots in the mold master; here are a few photos of the first one I molded yesterday. Left to right, the slot master prepped with mold release; the gelcoat applied, and the fiberglass layup done. I'll pop it off the mold this morning and mold the next one today.

JLSlotMolded1_zpsf9itgsqc.jpg

More photos when I pop it off the mold.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I trimmed the first slot and washed the mold release off:

MoldedSlot_zpsl5mcumt7.jpg

In the next two photos the slot is sitting on top of the printout mockup of the grille. You can see how the grille will have the same forward bend that the JL grille has vs. the flatter profile of the JK grille.

MoldedSlotA_zpstobvldwy.jpg

MoldedSlotB_zpsezspx5q7.jpg

I molded another slot this afternoon, once I get seven done I can assemble them into a full grille for making a complete grille mold.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Welcome back! You recover quick from jet lag.

Thanks. I'm a little out of practice with long distance travel, back when I had a job I regularly did Chicago/London/Delhi every month for about 3 years and basically didn't have a body clock anymore - I slept on the planes and never suffered from jet lag. Since I haven't done any global travel in some years, my body clock is back to normal so I did suffer a bit from jet lag when I got to Delhi. But coming back this direction is a bit easier so no real problem coming back.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm posting today from my local McDonald's because since Monday night my home network public IP address has been blocked on this site due to an obscure bug in the forum software. I've sent a detailed message to the forum admins explaining the bug and how it resulted in my IP address being blocked, but I've had no response from anyone for the past 3 days and the problem isn't fixed. If it doesn't get fixed I'll be cutting down or eliminating my participation in this forum because it's way too much trouble to access this site from places other than my home network.

If any admins are reading this and can get a message to the right people, my public IP address is 66.24.188.66 and I'd appreciate it if the address could be unblocked. I'll be very happy to demonstrate the bug that caused me to be blocked, I wasn't doing anything unusual except repeatedly trying to succeed in making a post of simple text that was causing a server error. It's an obscure bug I've seen two or three times before on this forum but I've always been able to edit my posts when the bug occurs so that the posts go through, but Monday I was not able to avoid the bug and my IP address got blocked.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/34-Help-and-Information

I didn 't want to repost your request but this is where the mod's seem to act the fastest and to each other. I would hate to see you leave over this.

Good luck.

Matt

Thanks Matt. That's the address I sent the request to several days ago, still no answer. But in the last hour I called my cable company and working with them managed to get a new public IP address assigned, so even if the admins never unlock my old public address I'm good to go now with a new public IP address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles