Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply. The concept drawings are very nice...it would be awesome to see them come to life. I did notice a similar Safari hardtop from Smittybilt for about $2,600, but that one does not have the throw-back styling and unique look that yours does, including the barn doors. I really like the barn door feature and how you have made the most out of that feature with your storage and camping setup. It would be great if sometime in the future you might be able to offer a small kit that detailed how to modify the Smittybilt Safari top to have sliding side windows and a rear barn door. If you ever do that, please put me on your list!!! Thanks again for your reply and your many creative ideas.

I would like to bring the 2-dr Safari Cab to life, but since I don't have a 2-dr and I've got lots of other projects and ideas I want to work on, that'll have to wait.

If you wanted to do a few upgrades to the Smittybilt top, here's what you could do for the side windows - unlike the side windows of the factory hardtop, the Smittybilt side windows are flat, which means that you can install an RV-style window without any modifications (Can't do that on the factory hardtop because the window mounting surface is curved in both directions). You would need to get custom-sized windows made. One source is Motion Windows (http://www.motionwindows.com/), although a pair of custom slider windows from them will cost close to $600 with shipping.

Another window option that may be possible is to use the Retrofit Offroad windows. I'm not sure if they're the same size, you'd have to check, but if they are they could be installed without the factory hardtop retrofit kit that comes with them, and they're a bit less expensive than those from Motion (especially for the JKU). The Retrofit Offroad windows are here: http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/product-category/jeep-wrangler-jk-factory-hardtop-slider-window-kit/

Having a barn door is a huge improvement in the usability of the back of the Jeep in my experience, but doing a DIY one is a little more involved project than slider windows. I believe the liftgate glass on the Smittybilt top is flat, so assuming you can make a barn door out of something that's strong enough not to deflect when it's closed so it applies good pressure all around the seal on the hardtop, you could DIY one. My barn door is a double-walled design similar to the doors on production vehicles, the inner shell provides the structural strength:

BarnDoorDressing_zps7nfwhelj.jpg

You'd also need to figure some way to mount it to the tailgate, in the photo above you can see the "stakes" I used for mine. Then you'd need to get a window, I did a custom piece of glass held in with a window lock strip gasket, I got all the glass for my hardtop made at a local auto glass place that could do tempered glass.

I could build a barn door for the Smittybilt top in fiberglass, but since there isn't even enough interest in my barn door (which works with the factory hardtop) to make it worthwhile to get into production, there's no way there would be enough interest in a barn door for the Smittybilt.

The barn door design for the soft top is really great...you're the MacGyver of the Jeep design world...haha!!

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. The concept drawings are very nice...it would be awesome to see them come to life. I did notice a similar Safari hardtop from Smittybilt for about $2,600, but that one does not have the throw-back styling and unique look that yours does, including the barn doors. I really like the barn door feature and how you have made the most out of that feature with your storage and camping setup. It would be great if sometime in the future you might be able to offer a small kit that detailed how to modify the Smittybilt Safari top to have sliding side windows and a rear barn door. If you ever do that, please put me on your list!!! Thanks again for your reply and your many creative ideas.

If you really want a Safari top for the JK and JKU then you need to let Matt at Gr8Tops know. The more people that do that them more likely he is to decide to build it. They make quality stuff and are great to deal with and very receptive to customer needs. Serriouslly the more JK/JKU owners that express interest in it the more likely it is to get made.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Love the trail kitchen concept! What's limiting you from mounting the fridge closer to the driver's side? Looks like moving it over could improve access on the passenger side and gain back some trunk space?

Thanks! After using it in the wild camping, I love it too :).

It could be mounted maybe an inch further to the driver's side in the SEMA dsplay, but that's just the display - in my Jeep it is mounted as far to the driver's side as it goes - the folded table just clears the tailgate striker loop.

TableCover_zpspt6ucdb8.jpg

Also in the Jeep, mounting it as far to the driver's side as possible still leaves room for the fridge battery and power system, the folded table also clears that by about a half inch (table not installed in the photo of the power system below but you can see in the photo above how it just clears).

PowerPanel1_zpsmt9rbu7r.jpg

Everything about the kitchen was designed as a complete system with slide, table, water and power to take a minimum of space in the Jeep but have the maximum table space and functionality.

CampSetup3_zps9fdro2ko.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Q: is there something which locks the door @ full open?

If you're asking about the Jeep's barn door, the factory stay rod seems to work fine for that purpose, I didn't have any trouble with the door moving when I was in the wild camping. I suppose if you were parked at an extreme angle maybe the stay rod wouldn't be strong enough to keep the barn door open, but you wouldn't park that way to camp in the RTT or to use the kitchen so it's not a problem.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A week or so ago I installed the prototype MORryde Overland Rack that I brought home from SEMA and posted photos of it on my Jeep. After the install I sent the company a list of things that needed to be tweaked/added, one of which was support for carrying a HiLift jack. That was in the original design and in the plan for their product, but it didn't make it into their prototype before SEMA, so I added the feature to their prototype. Here's the rack in my workshop with HiLift support.

HiLiftStuds_zpscycoevev.jpg

HiLiftMounted_zpssn68dnq8.jpg

I have to return it to them next Monday because they're using this prototype in another show. Hopefully I'll have time to install it once more on my Jeep for another quick test before then.

And speaking of MORryde, I got this from MORryde yesterday, someone sent this photo of their Jeep to them thanking them for their "awesome off-road equipment" (I'm not sure what MORryde gear the person has). The sticker is in good company on that window - ARB, Poison Spyder, etc...

MORrydeDecal_zps50urwnb5.jpg

If anyone bought MORryde gear before the company started putting stickers in the box and wants a sticker, you can contact Austin at Austin.Conrad@morryde.com and ask him to send you some stickers. Be sure to mention what MORryde gear you have and tell him I sent you.

prperkins

Thanks for all the information and your technical suggestions and links...very helpful! I'm surprised there isn't more interest in your barn door design. I guess people get used to the flip-up back window and then, you're just used to what you're used to...
You have a great design and I hope to have a similar type safari top and rear door design someday. I had to sell my 2003 Wrangler Sahara a few years back and I'm saving for another Wrangler now...hope to have it soon!!
Thanks again...I look forward to following this thread and your many great ideas!

prperkins

If you really want a Safari top for the JK and JKU then you need to let Matt at Gr8Tops know. The more people that do that them more likely he is to decide to build it. They make quality stuff and are great to deal with and very receptive to customer needs. Serriouslly the more JK/JKU owners that express interest in it the more likely it is to get made.

Thanks for your note. I had to sell my 2003 Wrangler Sahara a few years back and I'm saving for another Wrangler, and thinking it will likely be a JK this time around. Once I get it (hopefully soon), I will definitely check in and voice my interest with the guys at GR8TOPS.Thanks again!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I put the prototype Overland Rack on one more time to check it out with a HiLift installed.

HiLiftMounted5_zpsahetclms.jpg

HiLiftMounted6_zps5nmj4hob.jpg

Now I have to take it off to return it to the company, they'll be showing it at a trade show next week. I'll be attending the show, I'll post an update from there.

MattJ

Adventurer
Love those photos. I really like this design and hope it goes into full production. But I noticed one element of this design that is different from other rear cargo options: does the weight of the spare wheel and everything on the rack get supported by the rear door and its hinges? The bumper takes none of the load?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Love those photos. I really like this design and hope it goes into full production. But I noticed one element of this design that is different from other rear cargo options: does the weight of the spare wheel and everything on the rack get supported by the rear door and its hinges? The bumper takes none of the load?

It's supported by the MORryde tailgate reinforcement and HD hinges. Some other options on the market do the same - one example is the Teraflex Alta rack, which is supported by their hinge/reinforcement and not by a bumper either.

This photo from SEMA shows the entire MORryde rack/reinforcement assembly.

MORrydeOverlandRack_zpszxqkgibh.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Finally got around to installing the complete set of prototype HD door hinges. Up until now I had only installed one on each side to test and use the door hinge steps; last week I installed one more to test my hinge mounted Rotopax and HiLift carrier ideas, and today I finally installed the rest of the set.

FullHingeSet2_zpsqkoakkda.jpg

With a step installed:

FullHingeSet3_zpsgxwlhzkg.jpg

I like the look of these hinges a lot better than the factory ones.

Next I need to repair the corrosion underneath the hinges that was designed-in by Jeep - every JK/JKU up through sometime in the mid-2015 model year (and maybe later models too) will have corrosion under the hinges due to a bad design decision made at Jeep. As I'm fixing the corrosion I'll write step-by-step instructions for the fix.

prperkins

Jeff - thanks for your insightful feedback. As I read this thread, and a few of your other threads, I am just as impressed with your patience with repeat questions and requests as I am impressed by your creativity and amazing design skills. I have noticed that several of your ideas have come to production, or maybe are waiting an appropriate level of interest to kick things off. Again, I imagine you have answered this many times in the past, but I didn't notice it (maybe you can simply refer me to post #), but have you listed the products you have designed and where they might be found? I have already noticed GR8tops, MORryde, and one or two others, but if you had a list, that would be fantastic. Also, I was trying to find in the thread if you have entered any potential agreement regarding your JKU Safari top with a company, but couldn't locate the post...any progress there? Thanks again for the time you dedicate to documenting your work...I will never have the skills or the equipment to do the work you do, but I appreciate you allow me to follow your great work!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff - thanks for your insightful feedback. As I read this thread, and a few of your other threads, I am just as impressed with your patience with repeat questions and requests as I am impressed by your creativity and amazing design skills. I have noticed that several of your ideas have come to production, or maybe are waiting an appropriate level of interest to kick things off. Again, I imagine you have answered this many times in the past, but I didn't notice it (maybe you can simply refer me to post #), but have you listed the products you have designed and where they might be found? I have already noticed GR8tops, MORryde, and one or two others, but if you had a list, that would be fantastic. Also, I was trying to find in the thread if you have entered any potential agreement regarding your JKU Safari top with a company, but couldn't locate the post...any progress there? Thanks again for the time you dedicate to documenting your work...I will never have the skills or the equipment to do the work you do, but I appreciate you allow me to follow your great work!!

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

In answering I should first say that design is my hobby, it's not a business. And while I only post things I design for Jeeps and offroading in these threads, over the years I've done design work in lots of other areas. The nice part about my design hobby is sometimes companies sign up to bring my designs to market and they I get to see other people enjoying my designs too. It's nice to be able to see the results of your hobby enjoyed by others :).

I've lost track of how many of my designs have gotten to market, but here are the major ones in the Jeep space:

Gr8Tops (www.gr8tops.com): I designed the LJ/TJ Safari Cab hardtops. I'm also responsible for several of their other products, and I designed a range of accessories for the Safari Cab that they haven't put into production (like the roll-up soft sides), and I designed a half-cab version of the Safari Cab that they also haven't put into production.

MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories): I designed their entire Jeep accessory product line.

Retrofit Offroad (http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/): They carry the entire MORryde line, but I also designed everything else they sell, including their JK half door slider window kits, their slider window kits for factory hardtops, the TrailVision Camera/DVR system, and their MOLLE bar sleeves. The only thing on their site I didn't design are the generic Molle pouches. In fact they launched their company with only the Molle bars product set and the company has grown quickly since then.

Compact Camping (www.dinoot.com): I designed the fiberglass Jeep-tub and military replica trailer kits as well as a few accessories for the kits.

I've designed things for a few other companies, for example I did fiberglass TJ flat fenders for Kentrol but they've since gotten out of the fiberglass business so those are not available.

Also a few of my designs are on the way to production, such as the JK HD door hinges and steps, the JK tailgate Overland Rack, the Trail Kitchen and a few others.

There are also many things I haven't let go for production, including the JK and JKU Safari Cabs, the JK flat fenders, the CJ Grille Kit for the TJ and my TrailTop trailer topper construction components, to name a few other the bigger ones. I don't have current plans for any of those to get to market although I've kept the molds for all of them if an opportunity to make more comes up ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne