Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

danraposo

I designed the factory modular conversion and the step-by-step instructions with the DIY-er in mind - someone who has some DIY experience but hasn't worked with fiberglass before shouldn't have much trouble doing the conversion, so that's a very reasonable first fiberglass project assuming you're brave enough to cut your factory hardtop into pieces :)

That's reassuring, although making that first cut is definitely a do or die moment, haha. It would be a slightly easier pill to swallow if my soft top wasn't in such bad shape. The frame has fallen apart, which is only a little less disappointing because it lasted just under 200k miles of up and down.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'd also be very interested in hearing more about the modular top-based camper as well. It's still pretty tough to leave the top off down here in southern GA during the rainy months, but come fall I am setting aside some time to take a swing at going modular myself.

I'll post some drawings in the factory hardtop modular conversion thread (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160775-Converting-a-factory-JK-JKU-hardtop-to-modular) when I get a chance. The quick summary is that if you are capable of doing the modular conversion, can do a little woodworking, and can sew, you can build a very respectable pop-up hardtop camper for the JKU for probably around $750.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's reassuring, although making that first cut is definitely a do or die moment, haha. It would be a slightly easier pill to swallow if my soft top wasn't in such bad shape. The frame has fallen apart, which is only a little less disappointing because it lasted just under 200k miles of up and down.

I keep finding used/slightly damaged hardtops for under $500, usually around $200, so you could always buy one of those to convert. Wouldn't be so hard to make the first cut in a $200 hardtop that's already got a bit of damage :).

danraposo

I keep finding used/slightly damaged hardtops for under $500, usually around $200, so you could always buy one of those to convert. Wouldn't be so hard to make the first cut in a $200 hardtop that's already got a bit of damage :).

Absolutely. I have had some google alerts and Craigslist alerts setup for a couple weeks now and have been keeping an eye out for one.

I haven't sewed since I made my sister a pillow in my middle school home ec class, but I'm sure I could rope my mom into helping me out. $750 sounds awesome, on top of designing and building it how I want it...

I'll focus most of my comments going forward on the other thread regarding the camper top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Because I don't have a lot of camping experience, I rely on my forum friends for input and advice on my camping-related designs. Donny is my "chief advisor" on the subject, he's got lots of Jeep and trailer camping experience and always has valuable input to improve my designs. Today we got together for lunch so he could get his hands on my recent fridge slide/table/sink project.

Here's the "happy camper" looking over the system...

FridgeDonny1_zpsxlnvxshb.jpg

I think the system got Donny's seal of approval, but he had a very good suggestion - the leg I use to support the table is removable so the table can fold up into the small space between the fridge and the inner fender and his suggestion was to put a pocket on the side of the table cover to hold the leg so it doesn't get lost. He's showing where it should go in the left photo below:

FridgeDonny2_zpssfl61g01.jpg

That's a great idea and I'll sew it into the cover as soon as I get back to my sewing machine.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Absent any other ideas, I'm considering this design wrapped up and next I'll be discussing it with MORryde, who supplied the base slide for the project.

I'll ask Donny to chime in with any other comments he has, and thanks Donny for the time and the advice!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking no, but I wanted to see what it would look like - a Kaiser-era Jeep grille emblem on the JK. I've got a bunch of these that are in good condition for my Retro Rhino grille project so I temporarily stuck one on the JK to take a few photos.

Emblem1_zpsv4ohmajg.jpg

A close-up of my bug-encrusted grille (just drove it back from Florida).

Emblem4_zpsu0ij62op.jpg

Emblem2_zpsec585fq4.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If the Jeep grill had a circular spot molded in to place the emblem, this would be cool.
Would have been sweet if Jeep made a grilll like that for the Willys model. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Donny - here you go, I sewed the pocket you suggested for holding the table leg when the table is stowed.

LegPocket_zpsah7hvonj.jpg

Thanks for the idea!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah I like that. Now harder to lose or forget the leg. Great job Jeff.

I also picked up white fabric to make the snap-in shades we discussed for the skylights. Haven't sewn those yet because I decided the snaps should be white too and I had to order them. When the snaps arrive I'll sew the shades.

ShadeFabric_zpstuhebasv.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
Snaps? The extra side curtains for my camper are held on by industrial Velcro and I have painted many screws and finish washers. But it's your job so soldier on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior